Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 02:18:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What Comes First: Block Size or Halving?  (Read 2299 times)
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:49:34 PM

It's a dumb decision to raise the block size now since we have Segregated Witness which effectively is the same as raising the blocksize without all the tradeoffs like the risk of hard forking itself beside node centralization problems.

We will go through the halving with 1MB block size I think.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 03:16:28 PM

It's a dumb decision to raise the block size now since we have Segregated Witness which effectively is the same as raising the blocksize without all the tradeoffs like the risk of hard forking itself beside node centralization problems.

Exactly. Another beneficial factor of segwit is that the block size will not jump to 2 MB but will rather grow over time with the adoption. I think that this is better than a sudden jump although this is debatable. Segwit fixes some other very important things as well.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:35:39 PM
Last edit: January 29, 2016, 07:26:58 PM by Amph

segwit is not an ultimate solution, so you need to increase in the end the block size, so why we are not doing it now instead of wasting time with subterfuge like segwit?

unless someone here think that bitcoin just need 2mb to embrace adoption...not so sure about lightning network...i guess it may help, but i doubt it can cover the possible 1giga needed to match visa tx per second
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 06:53:27 PM

segwit is not an ultimate solution, so you need to increase in the end the block size, so why we ar enot doing it now instead of wasting time with subterfuge like segwit?

unless someone here think that bitcoin just need 2mb to embrace adoption...not so sure aboutlightning network...i guess it may help, but i doubt it can cover the possible 1giga needed to match visa tx per second

Visa can value their TX in bitcoin.  There is no "need" here you have identified yet. 

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:28:39 PM

segwit is not an ultimate solution, so you need to increase in the end the block size, so why we ar enot doing it now instead of wasting time with subterfuge like segwit?

unless someone here think that bitcoin just need 2mb to embrace adoption...not so sure aboutlightning network...i guess it may help, but i doubt it can cover the possible 1giga needed to match visa tx per second

Visa can value their TX in bitcoin.  There is no "need" here you have identified yet.  

what do you mean their value in bitcoin? i'm talking about tx volume...the need is not for now is for the future in case bitcoin will embrace greater adoption

to the contrary of popular belief, a big adoption can actually happen in a short time, so if it will happen there will be no time to implement the ideal solution
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 07:57:09 PM

Visa can value their TX in bitcoin.  There is no "need" here you have identified yet.  

what do you mean their value in bitcoin? i'm talking about tx volume...the need is not for now is for the future in case bitcoin will embrace greater adoption

to the contrary of popular belief, a big adoption can actually happen in a short time, so if it will happen there will be no time to implement the ideal solution

Visa is not a currency, they are a company.  They are a payment provider enabling payments IN ANY CURRENCY which could be bitcoin, gold, or even obscure private scamcoins like funbux or yuros.   

If you are a merchant, call them up and say you price your goods in bitcoin, and you need to receive payments from them in bitcoin.

After all, I have a visa card, and I want to buy something from your shop that costs .005 btc.   

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
StevenS

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:55:48 PM

The halving already happened... 4 years ago.  Wink
155UE

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:23:34 PM

I'm going to guess halving will come first based on how it's going right now, and past events.

Brakoo, the simplest Bitcoin lottery Try it for FREE!
Brakoo Lottery 1BrakooDHHXvGFY45hefmuxXA6dxN6GK8X (Official Thread) FREE Games with the Faucet
Send any amount to the pot. If you win, you will receive the pot. It is provably fair!. Drawing every day at 00:00 UTC
Amph
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:27:31 PM

Visa is not a currency, they are a company.  They are a payment provider enabling payments IN ANY CURRENCY which could be bitcoin, gold, or even obscure private scamcoins like funbux or yuros.   

If you are a merchant, call them up and say you price your goods in bitcoin, and you need to receive payments from them in bitcoin.

After all, I have a visa card, and I want to buy something from your shop that costs .005 btc.   

yeah but this what have to do with the limitation of bitcoin? do you're really think that if visa were to use bitcoin instead of fiat, the issue about the block limit would vanish?
gkv9
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 04:03:35 AM

I guess that halving will take place first, as people ain't gonna let this block size thing happen because they want their transactions to get confirmed faster in accordance with time rather than in regards to size and number of transactions...

Gotomoon

Activity: 719

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 09:28:01 AM

I guess that halving will take place first, as people ain't gonna let this block size thing happen because they want their transactions to get confirmed faster in accordance with time rather than in regards to size and number of transactions...

The Core team are dragging their feet. Although the road map says higher block size will come out in April, I doubt that.
funkenstein
Legendary

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 02:47:54 AM

yeah but this what have to do with the limitation of bitcoin? do you're really think that if visa were to use bitcoin instead of fiat, the issue about the block limit would vanish?

Not really, the issue about the block limit won't ever vanish.  Unless of course the issue is that "visa can do XX TX per second and we can't do that with bitcoin" in which case, there is no issue. 

Gotomoon

Activity: 719

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 09:44:59 AM

According to the latest round table meeting between Core developers and miners, SegWit will come out before halving.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2016, 10:07:01 AM

segwit is not an ultimate solution, so you need to increase in the end the block size, so why we are not doing it now instead of wasting time with subterfuge like segwit?

SegWit creates a whole range of new options, it also gives a temp. relief to the blocksize problem. Why do you need to increase blocksize without considering the optimum long term block structure? There are other options - side chains, incresing transaction density, and reducing the block creation interval are just 3 that occur to me with my limited knowledge. I am sure that there are other that more knowledgeable members can suggest.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 22, 2016, 10:42:22 AM

I believe the block size issue will be addressed first, by the Core team.

Until July, it is highly probable we will be testing second, or even third version of segregated witness.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: