Bitcoin Forum
June 07, 2024, 03:48:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: VIRWOX scam ?  (Read 19510 times)
hidalgojames (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:26:04 PM

Anyone knows about this site?

Seems to be a scam.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/accounting/virwox-com/virwox-com-www-virwox-com-scam-210d7.htm
http://www.reviewstalk.com/complaints-reviews/virwox-com-l23844.html
hidalgojames (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:29:48 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53885.0
KingGoon

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:47:37 PM

I dont think its a scam

Been with virwox for over a year now and never had any issues  Smiley

So Icy E-Money - Frozentalk.org FD1GwdBjTeMPFdZD5v3cVRG7ZoPJBAuLrf
All these girls excited ,Oooo ya know they like it ,Frozen so icy, so icy ,Haters don't try to fight it ,All yo friends invited ,Frozen so icy, so icy!!
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1021

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 02:55:19 PM

Been with virwox for over a year now and never had any issues  Smiley

Me too. VirWoX is very careful with user funds and may temporarily lock your account for suspicious activity (never happened to me), but they'll unlock it if you send them an email (unless you tried to scam VirWoX).

Also: I met Prof. Frank Kappe of VirWoX in real-life.

SouthernComfort

Activity: 28

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 05:44:42 PM

Let me give you my experiance with VirWox. I made a 500$ Linden purchase on Second Life. Transferred the funds to Virwox then I exchanged them for BTC. When I tried to withdraw them to my Bitcoin wallet I was told there was a 24 hour "manual step" I had to wait for. During that time Second Life thought my order was suspicious and decided to put my account on hold, and actually requested my Bitcoins back from Virwox where they exchanged it back down to Lindens. After a week of dealing with the idiots at second life my account was finally put off hold. During that time period the price for Bitcoins rised from 12$-14$. I also had to pay another 4% fees to exchange my Lindens BACK into Bitcoins. I asked Second Life for reimbursement of my loss with NO RESPONSE. Shows how much they value their customers. I then asked Virwox and I was gave the amount of Bitcoins I bought in the first place(12$ per coin) plus they payed for the fee's. They did this all, even though the fault is completely on Second Life. A VERY good company, extremely good customer service and trustworthy. Highly recommended and I doubt they scammed.
lassdas
Legendary

Activity: 3658
Merit: 1448

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 09:39:41 PM

I've been trading on Virwox for about 3years now and there's not much i can complain about.

Sure, that "manual step" they do when you withdraw your money is a bit inconvenient and might take some time, but you'll get your money.
Sure, the fees are high, but it works and is still way cheaper than at their competitors (on the SLL-Market).

I made a 500$ Linden purchase on Second Life. ..... During that time Second Life thought my order was suspicious and decided to put my account on hold, and actually requested my Bitcoins back from Virwox where they exchanged it back down to Lindens.

That's the main problem when dealing with SLL,
don't ever accept any SLL in-world if you don't know and fully trust the seller!

You simply don't know if it's "fraudulent lindens". When someone pays you lindens in SecondLife, they can be "fake", or stolen, or whatever LindenLabs decides, it's their money, not yours. They can do whatever they want and they will do it.

But,
all that is a problem of SecondLife and LindenLabs, not VirWox.
It's the reason why that inconvenient "manual step" is required, even VirWox can't know for sure, if those lindens they receive from users are "fraudulent" or not. If LindenLabs decides to remove those funds, they can and will.
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:22:07 PM

follow this tutorial
it shows you how to use virwox without any Second-Life connections, thus saving you a lot of headache:
www.scribd.com/doc/110005258/Buy-Bitcoin-via-Paypal-Paysafecard-Credit-Card-Ukash
enjoy
lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:27:03 PM

hamdi, spamming your reflink makes no sense here,
he already has a VirWox-account anyway and already knows how to use it.
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 12:43:36 AM

How do people "Fake" lindens if anyone would mind explaining?

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 12:55:36 AM

LindenLabs doesn't let us know, we can only guess what "fraudulent lindens" are. They're most probably not actually fake, but rather stolen, scammed, phished, or something like that.
The point is, that lindens aren't safe in any way, even if you received them from a friend, he might own "fraudulent lindens" without knowing and if he does and pays them to you, LindenLabs will come and get them sooner or later (might take 2weeks or more).

LindenLabs is way worse than PayPal.
The best way is to not trade in-world at all, as long as you only trade on the VirWox platform, you should be good.
DealBreaker

Activity: 6

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 01:26:01 AM

orly
hamdi

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 07:53:06 PM

hamdi, spamming your reflink makes no sense here,
he already has a VirWox-account anyway and already knows how to use it.

he obviously doesnt know how to use virwox without a 2ndlife account. this tutorial shows it.
SouthernComfort

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 08:26:51 PM

That's the main problem when dealing with SLL,
don't ever accept any SLL in-world if you don't know and fully trust the seller!

The purchase was made from Linden Labs, not any other dealer. I to, had 0 understanding of what "fraudulent lindens" are and they never bothered explaining it to me.
SouthernComfort

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 08:33:52 PM

orly

If your going to post stupid shit for more number of posts at least spell the word right.
molotox

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 01:54:52 PM

Be carefull with this site. I never got my Bitcoins...
Luckily I was refounded by Paypal.

DONT USE THIS SITE!!!!
yolo2222

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 04:34:01 PM

DONT USE THIS SITE!!!!

Could you please explain the situation?

Cheers

lassdas
Legendary

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 05:14:31 PM

DONT USE THIS SITE!!!!
I call BS.

I've been using VirWox for years now and I ALWAYS received my Euros, I ALWAYS received my Lindens and I ALWAYS received my Bitcoins.
I never had any problems at all doing hundreds, if not thousands of trades.

The fees are high (up to 3.9% per trade),
there's a huge delay (up to 72hrs) to receive withdrawals,
but it works, there's no doubt about that.
Voodah

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2013, 06:11:30 PM

I got my BTC through VirWox. No problem.
engiejim

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 11:51:01 PM

DONT USE THIS SITE!!!!

I wanted to buy a small amount of bitcoins for fun and someone referred me to VirWoX.
I didn't understand how the system worked and was shocked at all the fees each time I transferred from one currency to the next.
I only started with US$ 4.50 transferred from Paypal to VirWoX.
That went down to US$4.05 after the Paypal fee.
Then I had to exchange that to Linden dollars becasue they only exchange bitcoins for L$ and there was another fee of a flat L$ 50L plus a percentage.
I had L$ 878.66  in my Virwox account (which is only worth $3.84 at the normal exchange rate with Linden Labs).
Then I tried to use that to buy some bitcoins but I didn't have enough because there is a charge of 0.02 BTC for each transaction.
bitcoins are currently worth about US$ 500 so that works out to be a US$ 10 fee.

When I wrote to VirWoX explaining the situation they immediately refunded the full Paypal amount.

It did seem like a scam to start with but now I understand things a bit better I don't think it's any worse than a normal bank and they replied to my email and had refunded the Paypal amount less than an hour after I sent them the email.

VirWoX might be ok for large transactions but for the first time you can only exchange about US$ 100 for security reasons until they get to trust you. So after all the fees from one currency to the next you might lose a bit of money.  If bitcoins were still only $10 each the 0.02 BTC charge would only be 20 cents and it would be a more feasible way to play around with a small amount of bitcoins.

LuckyBtc
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:00:26 AM

Virwox is legit but their fees is too high. I've traded couple of btc with ease.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: