Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:18:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what am I calculating wrong? (free energy no RoI)  (Read 733 times)
radres (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:27:30 AM

I assume that I was not paying for the electricity.

On bitmaintech.com S7+PSU+shipping is around 1300 dollars.

with current difficulty you can mine 240 dollars a month or 120 dollars till the next dif increase.

assume an avg. 5 percent dif increase in every 2 weeks, the total amount I'll mine:

https://i.imgur.com/7s1PzsT.gif

The regarding code:

http://imgur.com/bfdQQbj

And the results are, even with free electricity you should have avg. difficulty increase below 9% to get RoI

http://imgur.com/q58zYSd

this results made me pull back from investing in an S7 what are your thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 04:32:12 AM

I assume that I was not paying for the electricity.

On bitmaintech.com S7+PSU+shipping is around 1300 dollars.

with current difficulty you can mine 240 dollars a month or 120 dollars till the next dif increase.

assume an avg. 5 percent dif increase in every 2 weeks, the total amount I'll mine:

The regarding code:

And the results are, even with free electricity you should have avg. difficulty increase below 9% to get RoI

this results made me pull back from investing in an S7 what are your thoughts?

It's no longer a 3 month ROI like it once was.  Your looking at a longer time of mining.   With free it seems like you would reach it... just would be a matter of time.  I think we have had a hard time past 2 months of difficulty we were sitting on a lot less per change.  A lot hope it changes back, but there is no guardsmen in mining.
cooldgamer
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

We are the champions of the night

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 06:14:30 AM

The key is to sell your miner somewhat before it's obsolete to somebody that is hopeful on the difficulty, or just wants to get into mining at a lower price.  With free power you will get there eventually most likely, but you'll have a better chance selling off when it's close to done.

You can fetch ~200 on eBay for an Antminer S2 right now.  While there is a chance of getting scammed there, there's also a chance of getting a much higher price than on the forum.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 07:18:05 AM

it's not worth it anymore, the window for the good profit, was when the s7 was still new, because it was able to mine double of what it is now, yes the cost was more, but that's not a problem since you can always resell it easily
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 08:26:11 AM

Well even the reselling window to informed buyers will start dwindling as we get closer to halving. There's always the option to sell to somebody less knowledgeable and the karma that comes with creative advertising  Wink
Zosinburg

Activity: 64
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 01:09:28 PM

Well even the reselling window to informed buyers will start dwindling as we get closer to halving. There's always the option to sell to somebody less knowledgeable and the karma that comes with creative advertising  Wink

The halving will make a large difference to the earning. When the 16nm chip comes out, even s7 might not be profitable.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 09:36:32 PM

The halving will make a large difference to the earning. When the 16nm chip comes out, even s7 might not be profitable.

I think the S7 will be okay. 16nm is always in existence and the S7's are just fine. But i'm not sure they will survive the halving too well.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:40:02 AM

I think the S7 will be okay. 16nm is always in existence and the S7's are just fine. But i'm not sure they will survive the halving too well.

i think not, because in a few months, their earning was cut in half, before the halving you will have an s7 doing the same earning of an s5(the old earning) or even worse, and the s5 was barely profitable back then and there was not the halving

so the s7 will be out of the game soon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: