Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:51:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EU Bitcoin regulation proposal meeting (live) 1/25 15:00-19:00 UTC  (Read 445 times)
abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:41:43 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 03:11:58 PM by abercrombie

EU meeting on BTC live  

Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/ep-live/en/committees/video?event=20160125-1500-COMMITTEE-ECON
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:45:04 PM

What will they be discussing on Bitcoin? Unfortunately can't watch... I'll wait for a summary on the reunion. Hope they don't screw up...
abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 02:50:16 PM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 03:19:25 PM by abercrombie

Generally, lots of discussion whether this disruptive technology should be regulated.

There was an American saying that the ecosystem self-regulates itself.  There's an English gent wanting regulation focusing mostly on preventing financial crimes.  There was also what looks like a transvestite (not judging) giving good insight on the blockchain, and its transparency indicating how cash is more apt for money laundering and terrorism than digital currency.  One person asked if it's possible to confiscate digital currencies in case of money laundering, answered by what seemed to be a Portuguese speaker whom spoke in his native language.  French woman addressed financial transparency and how blockchain adoption would serves as a tool vs. obscurity for centralized systems. 

Overall, the consensus thus far seems to be on the fence (sit and watch).
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:50:30 PM

just another institutuon working out how irrelevant they are in the world of Crypto

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
WilderX

Activity: 597
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 03:57:31 PM

I watched it. It seemed to me they are very smart about it and don't want to rush heavy regulations as the technology is in infancy and a lot of good can come out of it and besides there is already controls and laws about the negative sides of it.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:23:15 PM

Generally, lots of discussion whether this disruptive technology should be regulated.

There was an American saying that the ecosystem self-regulates itself.  There's an English gent wanting regulation focusing mostly on preventing financial crimes.  There was also what looks like a transvestite (not judging) giving good insight on the blockchain, and its transparency indicating how cash is more apt for money laundering and terrorism than digital currency.  One person asked if it's possible to confiscate digital currencies in case of money laundering, answered by what seemed to be a Portuguese speaker whom spoke in his native language.  French woman addressed financial transparency and how blockchain adoption would serves as a tool vs. obscurity for centralized systems. 

Overall, the consensus thus far seems to be on the fence (sit and watch).

Thank you. Good that they're having a sit and watch attitude... That's what I expect from them for years to come. Hope the Portuguese guy didn't say anything wrong. Bank of Portugal already spread FUD on the country saying if you use Bitcoin = you're more prone to scams or doing illegal stuff. And pretty funny seeing someone from France talking nicely about Bitcoin, they're the ones who apparently kept questioning Bitcoin pseudo-anonymous nature.

I watched it. It seemed to me they are very smart about it and don't want to rush heavy regulations as the technology is in infancy and a lot of good can come out of it and besides there is already controls and laws about the negative sides of it.

Although I'd very much prefer they wouldn't even talk about Bitcoin and/or regulate it in any way, I have to admit the EU is having quite the attitude towards Bitcoin. At least they're not rushing to shut it down right now, which is very, very good.
Inauk

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:30:15 PM

Although I'd very much prefer they wouldn't even talk about Bitcoin and/or regulate it in any way, I have to admit the EU is having quite the attitude towards Bitcoin. At least they're not rushing to shut it down right now, which is very, very good.

Maybe because they simply cant do it; sometimes the calm is a sign of a heavy storm, maybe that's the reason about why they are so quiet. thank you about the link i will take a look at the video, but i don't expect "big steps".
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:41:16 PM

Maybe because they simply cant do it; sometimes the calm is a sign of a heavy storm, maybe that's the reason about why they are so quiet. thank you about the link i will take a look at the video, but i don't expect "big steps".

The fact that they cannot shutdown Bitcoin doesn't mean they can't make it look bad and cripple merchant acceptance. If the EU suddenly said we cannot use Bitcoin and that stores in Europe using it will be fined, do you think the store next door would accept Bitcoin? Only if they were foolish, too brave, too unknown/out of the map or not complying with EU regulations to begin with and having nothing to lose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: