Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:34:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would be Satoshi's opinion on blocksize debate ?  (Read 1532 times)
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 06:48:26 PM

lets not confuse the debate

blocksize vs segwit
is different to R3/toomin vs blockstream

basing the debate just on the code.. (blocksize vs segwit) is a better discussion to have as ANYONE can release an implementation of 2mb or segwit. and so WHO is not as important as WHAT.

EG
R3/toomin have lost out due to their agenda..
although nearly everyone including core says that 2mb is a way forward. doing it via R3's implementation may also have other ramifications later, unrelated to 2mb upgrade. so lets put a line in the sand and kick r3/toomin to the curb.. and just talk about the code, blocksize vs segwit.

EG if gmaxwell, luke jr, adam back, hundreds of other programmers and even CIYAM released a 2mb implementation.. of CLEAN code.. the drama would settle and we can concentrate on the real code debate. and decide what to upgrade to based on code preference rather than social agenda of corporations

Since you seem really aware of what's going on, could you explain simply, in a few lines, what is exactly Segregated Witness ? I still don't what it is after reading posts talking about it many times Sad.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 07:45:27 PM

blocksize vs segwit

basing the debate just on the code.. (blocksize vs segwit) is a better discussion to have as ANYONE can release an implementation of 2mb or segwit. and so WHO is not as important as WHAT.

EG
although nearly everyone including core says that 2mb is a way forward. doing it via R3's implementation may also have other ramifications later, unrelated to 2mb upgrade. so lets put a line in the sand and kick r3/toomin to the curb.. and just talk about the code, blocksize vs segwit.

EG if gmaxwell, luke jr, adam back, hundreds of other programmers and even CIYAM released a 2mb implementation.. of CLEAN code.. the drama would settle and we can concentrate on the real code debate. and decide what to upgrade to based on code preference rather than social agenda of corporations

Since you seem really aware of what's going on, could you explain simply, in a few lines, what is exactly Segregated Witness ? I still don't what it is after reading posts talking about it many times Sad.

imagine a normal 1mb block is
{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}

segwit 1mb block is not including signatures.. twisting whats included to fit more transactions in
{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}
and a second block (merkle tree)
{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}

by default people will only get the main 1mb block (no sigs) (making older non segwit clients not validate signatures
and if you want the signature data to be a full node (fully verifying node) you will receive:(1.5mb-2mb) if you add a parameter to ask for it
{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}
{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 07:47:38 PM

blocksize vs segwit

EG

{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}{TXID: input : output : signature}

segwit 1mb block is not including signatures.. twisting whats included to fit more transactions in
{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}
{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}{TXID: signature}

by default people will only get the main 1mb block (no sigs) (making older non segwit clients not validate signatures
and if you want the signature data to be a full node (fully verifying node) you will receive:(1.5mb-2mb) if you add a parameter to ask for it
{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}

So only updated clients will be able to send 2 MB blocks, assuring the compatibility with the older ones by not rejecting them ?
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 07:56:34 PM

blocksize vs segwit

EG

{TXID: input : output}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}{TXID: input : output}{TXID: signature}

So only updated clients will be able to send 2 MB blocks, assuring the compatibility with the older ones by not rejecting them ?

"compatibility" yes.. but then making those older ones still "compatible" to receive 70% data.. but no longer fully validating it.. so making them no longer full nodes. and just "compatible" nodes.

which is a bit pointless as fullnodes will want to be full verifying nodes and so they would upgrade just to be full nodes again.. so if they are upgrading. they might aswell upgrade to include the 2mb hard limit. rather than segwits twist of data..
or even both..

EG why wait till 2017 to need to upgrade a second time causing the debate and delays all over again..

users should upgrade sooner, to allow them to have a buffer.. then in 2017 miners can upgrade in their own time when they are ready to push more transactions. that way users have had a whole year to prep for the miner upgrades

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:03:27 PM

blocksize vs segwit

EG

"compatibility" yes.. but then making those older ones still "compatible" to receive 70% data.. but no longer fully validating it.. so making them no longer full nodes. and just "compatible" nodes.

which is a bit pointless as fullnodes will want to be full verifying nodes and so they would upgrade just to be full nodes again.. so if they are upgrading. they might aswell upgrade to include the 2mb hard limit. rather than segwits twist of data..
or even both..

EG why wait till 2017 to need to upgrade a second time causing the debate and delays all over again..

users should upgrade sooner, to allow them to have a buffer.. then in 2017 miners can upgrade in their own time when they are ready to push more transactions. that way users have had a whole year to prep for the miner upgrades

You say that people should strat to upgrade. Does that mean than the Segregated Witness Core version is already avalaible to everyone ?
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:11:44 PM

You say that people should strat to upgrade. Does that mean than the Segregated Witness Core version is already avalaible to everyone ?

no i mean when people who want to be full nodes, have to upgrade due to segwit in the near future of 2016. part of that upgrade should also be 2mb hard limit ontop to allow for enough buffer space ready for any surprises in 2017..

n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:17:49 PM

I was wondering what would be Satoshi's opinion on the blocksize debate. I mean : would he be pro-Classic or pro-Core, a.k.a. 2 MB or 1 MB blocks ? Maybe someone has a quote from him that show what he would think about it.
He would help his own project and would increase the bocksize to 1 or 2 mb does not matter much, but at least he would increase it.
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:29:32 PM

no i mean when people who want to be full nodes, have to upgrade due to segwit in the near future of 2016. part of that upgrade should also be 2mb hard limit ontop to allow for enough buffer space ready for any surprises in 2017..

This seems nice, I'll search informations about it.

I was wondering what would be Satoshi's opinion on the blocksize debate. I mean : would he be pro-Classic or pro-Core, a.k.a. 2 MB or 1 MB blocks ? Maybe someone has a quote from him that show what he would think about it.
He would help his own project and would increase the bocksize to 1 or 2 mb does not matter much, but at least he would increase it.

Everyone seems to agree on this, but would he increase it via Core or via Classic ?
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:34:21 PM

Everyone seems to agree on this, but would he increase it via Core or via Classic ?

I think with the oldest one and the 'fundamental' which i think is Core, i don't like the Classic one.
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 08:37:33 PM

This question is a little too "WWJD" for me.

Satoshi was just a man. His invention was brilliant but we shouldn't deify him.

His opinion on this matter isn't known because we do not know who he is, and I think he was brilliant enough to understand the only way bitcoin truly would meet his objectives was if there wasn't someone with god-like influence over the project.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:40:07 PM

I think with the oldest one and the 'fundamental' which i think is Core, i don't like the Classic one.

At least I agree with you. I don't like Classic too. I hope and think that Satoshi would think like us.I don't like Classic because they're doing a secession, by breaking the consensus rule, one of the most important of all the Bitcoin protocol. And you, why do you don't like it ?

This question is a little too "WWJD" for me.

Satoshi was just a man. His invention was brilliant but we shouldn't deify him.

His opinion on this matter isn't known because we do not know who he is, and I think he was brilliant enough to understand the only way bitcoin truly would meet his objectives was if there wasn't someone with god-like influence over the project.

Satoshi is Bitcoin's father. The father near always know what's better for his son, and the same rule applies here. Satoshi is certainly the most brillaint man of the Bitcoin ecosystem, and what he would think is fundamental.
Klestin

Activity: 493
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 09:08:21 PM

There's really no room for debate on what Satoshi would favor.  He originally coded a 32 MB cap for block size, and implemented a 1 MB cap as a stopgap anti-spam measure, expressly intended to be temporary.  Unless he plans to poke his head out and provide an opinion, this is the best information we have on the subject.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:02:03 AM

Didn't satoshi also say anyone against increasing it "is a first class grade A faggot"?

Erkallys (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 08:05:28 AM

Didn't satoshi also say anyone against increasing it "is a first class grade A faggot"?

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it would come from you, Bitcoin Classic-lover...
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 12:55:08 PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it would come from you, Bitcoin Classic-lover...

It was a joke obviously.  Not taking your troll bait.

PakistanHockeyfan

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:21:32 PM

He wouldn't have an opinion to share as he is rather anonymous and keeps to himself now.
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
February 18, 2016, 07:38:11 PM

At this point, what satoshi would think is probably irrelevant, yes it was great to get it started but now that bitcoin has a massive adoption and some great minds involved it really dosn't matter ehat satoshi woould think..... Undecided
AliceWonderMiscreations

Activity: 182
Merit: 107

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2016, 03:15:51 AM

Speculating on what his opinion would have been is as silly as asking WWJD

We can't answer without bias, and all asking such a question is give us a false sense of authority to our biased answer.

"I did this because Jesus would have" type of BS.

I believe using his name to give authority to one position or the other is the last thing the architect of a decentralized payment system would have wanted.

-=-

Now for my opinion, I believe Satoshi would be behind SegWit and would increase the core block size when SegWit is shown to not be enough.

But I can't claim that would have been his position, because that actually is my opinion, so the bias is obvious.

I hereby reserve the right to sometimes be wrong
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: