Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:41:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: whether PGP can be implemented in Bitcoin system ?  (Read 921 times)
vlamer (OP)

Activity: 101
Merit: 11

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 09:43:09 PM

I am newbie,but I have a question in my head.
whether PGP can be implemented in Bitcoin system ?
something that encrypt and decrypt the signature;
What's been like that?

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 09:50:05 PM

I am newbie,but I have a question in my head.
whether PGP can be implemented in Bitcoin system ?
something that encrypt and decrypt the signature;
What's been like that?
There is no reason to have encryption or decryption of messages using Bitcoin. It may not be safe as the keys are short (although I think ECKeys are still rather strong even when short). It is not integral to Bitcoin and there really is no reason to have encrypted stuff like that in Bitcoin.

vlamer (OP)

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 09:56:32 PM

There is no reason to have encryption or decryption of messages using Bitcoin. It may not be safe as the keys are short (although I think ECKeys are still rather strong even when short). It is not integral to Bitcoin and there really is no reason to have encrypted stuff like that in Bitcoin.
if it is for the encryption scriptsig in transaction or signed ownership privkey?

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 25, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

if it is for the encryption scriptsig in transaction or signed ownership privkey?
Your english is a bit lacking and this is very hard to understand.

Bitcoin already has signing features because signing is required in transactions. There is absolutely no need for encrypting, and the system wouldn't work with encryption anyways.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 05:51:36 AM

Think about it like this, if I encrypt my signature, how can you check if its valid? Where do I get all the PGP keys for all possible miners to avoid this issue? Whats the benefit?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
vlamer (OP)

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:24:35 PM

i mean, something which adds validity of the owners,
although others have a private key or someone managed to open wallet.dat,and something that maintain privacy in network transactions.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 04:30:59 PM

although others have a private key or someone managed to open wallet.dat,and something that maintain privacy in network transactions.

If one can't keep their private keys safe or your wallet password safe, what makes you think that they would be able to protect their PGP key safe to prove ownership of the keys or wallet? 

As far as privacy of network transactions, how do you envision pgp helping?

vlamer (OP)

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:41:37 PM

If one can't keep their private keys safe or your wallet password safe, what makes you think that they would be able to protect their PGP key safe to prove ownership of the keys or wallet? 

so PGP also does not help us in the validity of the ownership outside Bitcoin, in the file and the signature?

achow101
Legendary
expert

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:54:24 PM

so PGP also does not help us in the validity of the ownership outside Bitcoin, in the file and the signature?
It does not because it does exactly the same thing that bitcoin private keys does with signatures.

CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
January 26, 2016, 04:57:20 PM

PGP (or GPG) can be used to encrypt private keys for offline wallets (the CIYAM Safe uses this technique) but if you are using an encrypted wallet with Bitcoin then there is no need to do any further encryption.

(so its usefulness is basically outside of Bitcoin)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
vlamer (OP)

N.E.E.T

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 06:29:47 PM

PGP (or GPG) can be used to encrypt private keys for offline wallets (the CIYAM Safe uses this technique) but if you are using an encrypted wallet with Bitcoin then there is no need to do any further encryption.

(so its usefulness is basically outside of Bitcoin)

hmm,
i agree .not possible if all the members are not in one protocol.
Thank for taking the time

Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 04:52:30 PM

I always thought that PGP was already implemented within Bitcoin. I seems that it is just a simplified version.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: