Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:23:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Regulating frameworks for sugar  (Read 805 times)
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 02:26:38 AM

Though I want to disagree with him, the facts are not exactly in my favor.
http://www.psmag.com/health/robert-lustig-sugar-obesity-diet-50948/

What's a good argument against his?

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
laughingbear
Deflationary champion

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

www.cryptobetfair.com

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 02:28:51 AM

liberty?
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 03:03:34 AM

Though I want to disagree with him, the facts are not exactly in my favor.
http://www.psmag.com/health/robert-lustig-sugar-obesity-diet-50948/

What's a good argument against his?

Just about every anti-drug war argument will work. "Education hasn't worked for any addictive substance." Bullshit.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 05:28:33 PM

“Education has not worked. Labeling has not worked. And they’re not going to work,” he told me in his characteristically emphatic way. “Education hasn’t worked for any addictive substance.”

Ummm...cigarettes? Last time I checked 1st-world (so to speak) profits from cigarettes have plummeted due to the education that "hasn't worked". They're only making up the sales by pumping up cigarette sales to developing countries.

I do, however, agree with him that many countries (such as the U.S.) have serious sugar problems. People are almost becoming addicted to it. However, you can't control peoples lives and force them to do some things and not to do other things unless their actions are directly harming other people, and I don't see how people eating a lot of sugar harms me in any way.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 05:40:50 PM

I don't see how people eating a lot of sugar harms me in any way.

It only harms you because of the socialized and semi-socialized medical systems in the developed world. Because higher sugar intake causes higher medical costs, and they don't pay 100% of that cost, some of it is spread to you.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
lebing (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1288

Enabling the maximal migration

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 06:05:48 PM

“Education has not worked. Labeling has not worked. And they’re not going to work,” he told me in his characteristically emphatic way. “Education hasn’t worked for any addictive substance.”

Ummm...cigarettes? Last time I checked 1st-world (so to speak) profits from cigarettes have plummeted due to the education that "hasn't worked". They're only making up the sales by pumping up cigarette sales to developing countries.

I do, however, agree with him that many countries (such as the U.S.) have serious sugar problems. People are almost becoming addicted to it. However, you can't control peoples lives and force them to do some things and not to do other things unless their actions are directly harming other people, and I don't see how people eating a lot of sugar harms me in any way.

Tough to say it was just education, when the taxes have also gone up factors above what they were even when I was just a kid

Bro, do you even blockchain?
-E Voorhees
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 07:08:03 PM

Tough to say it was just education, when the taxes have also gone up factors above what they were even when I was just a kid

True, and they also lost a fair bit of political influence. While it might not have been the sole cause, the public awareness campaign was the largest proponent for getting people off cigarettes and its influence was vast. So to go as far as to say it education "hasn't worked" is untrue.
ImNotHerb

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 09:10:25 PM

The real problem is people educated in public school are getting stupider and stooopider.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 09:31:08 AM

I don't smoke or eat stupid amounts of sugar every day and I actually live pretty healthily most of the time, if I ever have kids why the hell should they have to go through all this bullshit brainwashing just because other kids are being way more stupid? I expect there are plenty of parents out there who all have pretty healthy kids that would feel exactly the same about the government pestering their children in school to eat healthily.

It'd be really nice if governments stopped trying to mass produce children to fit into society.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 03:02:41 PM

It'd be really nice if governments stopped trying to mass produce children to fit into society.
FTFY.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: