Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:36:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-Fraud Team -- Help Wanted  (Read 8425 times)
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 08:25:16 PM

The 0.80 BTC donation was the last transaction I'd received. So when I tried to make a transaction for a larger amount, 0.80 BTC was debited from the donation address to carry it out. I didn't quite understand that this was the way it worked until I saw it. So I sent back two transactions to the donation address to "reattach" the 0.80 BTC (and some of my own) to the donation address -- just so that it could be seen I wasn't taking it away and had coin of my own to contribute..

--ATC--

I see. I just assumed you would keep donations isolated from personal funds and had created a separate wallet for this endeavor.

Still around.
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ATC777 (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 08:38:48 PM

Ok... now back to the original subject...

When I first made the OP I was a bit "emotionally charged" and probably in the wrong state of mind... I had just figured out how deep the rabbit hole goes, and was quite pissed off about how wide-spread scamming is in Bitcoinland. I had been up all night researching and investigating and was completely exhausted, so I was indeed a bit too hasty and too eager to do something. I should've slept on it and organized my thoughts the next morning. As BCB points out, I am a newbie here and that makes it difficult to relate to others who've been here long before me. Those of you who've been here for several years have probably dealt with more scamming than I can even imagine, and your patience has simply worn thing... this is understandable... But I would still like to point out that you shouldn't personally attack people and treat them like dirt when they haven't actually done harm to anyone... :-)

That being said, let's hurry up and find someone to be the accountant and come up with a gameplan. In the meantime, I'll be spending my time continuing my efforts with Paypal and eBay. I would greatly appreciate some community input on how we can proceed with this idea and see it come to fruition. We really need this...

@ franky1 ::

Franky, you still do not seem to understand... I will go over this with you one more time, but it is beginning to get rather annoying, no offense. So allow me to respond to each of your remarks...

atc your latest post sounds like a proper business plan. if only your main thread started out as this.

one thing to learn about the community is when dealing with people we have never met face to face trust has to be earned and many people will do 'due diligence' checks and research the name behind the face before trading/handing money to them.

You have a valid point here, and you have indeed made several valid points. But the weight of them is significantly reduced by your deviation from reasonable, civilized discussion to personal attacks and slander having little/no base in reality...

so please do not get offended by people checking your facebook. its not stalking. its just checking up on the person. its standard practice to check who you are dealing with.

No, I was never offended by anyone checking my Facebook. Anyone is welcome to add me on Facebook and be my friend, chat, whatever. What is offensive is going on someone's Facebook and hijacking their pictures so you can call them things like "hillbilly" and "spree killer"... and you know you saw that. That is NOT "due dilligence", and no one was asked to make an investment in my company (the doors are closed anyway). That is childish... I expect better from kids in high school...

secondly many have also checked up on the atc enterprises inc. apart from a business that was formed in 1984 (before you were born) and dissolved in 1990. there are no other Louisiana records on state websites for your business. no yellow pages listings, no google listings. just a facebook page created on december 5th

You don't seem to understand that my company is a new company, and we have just incorporated. We are not yet showing up in listings... it is not an instantaneous process. Why are you surprised that I created a Facebook page on Dec. 5th for a brand-new corporation that was founded on that date? Our legal work for the incorporation process has only just finished. And we have nothing to do with now defunct "ATC Enterprises" founded in 1984... as you pointed out, that was 4 years before I was born. There are numerous websites on the internet trying to use the name "ATC Enterprises" but they do not own the name, and probably aren't even real, registered companies... our preliminary name search cleared earlier in December, as no one owned the name and it now belongs to us -- a brand-new corporation.

What I fail to understand is what any of this has to do with the idea of an open anti-fraud organization I want to see started in the community, which I have already said I do NOT want to own or be in charge of... ATC Enterprises, Inc. is a private company and it is completely my own affair and has NOTHING to do with the proposed anti-fraud organization. I am accountable to the law and shareholders, but not you. No one here is being asked to invest in my company, and as I've already pointed out no one here can invest in it... if I allowed such a thing we would no longer qualify for SEC exemptions and would have to register with them, file a formal prospectus and waste a lot of unnecessary time and money for nothing. So I dunno why you're so eager to bash my little company that I've started and try to make me look bad... Lay off, bro...

which is another reason why those that do research people found your proposition initially flawed. due to your lack of credible background.

That is a rather distorted view of what has happened here...

you might be the most honest guy alive in the world, but please take this under advisement. insulting people that do check up on you is like the opposite of what an antifraud organisation would do. they would actually appreciate people that do background checks.

I don't recall insulting anyone... what I DO recall is being insulted, personally attacked and accused of various outlandish conspiracy theories. No one here did a real "background check" on me. The only thing you guys did was attempt a personal assault on me as a person and offered a very twisted and cruel portrayal of me to suit your own purposes.

wanting people to trust you just on face value of a facebook page and a photo is not a good strategy for someone opening an anti-fraud organisation.

the comments about making a reputable person accountable for the donations should definitely be implemented due to the many flaws in your background checks.

Again, there have been no actual background checks... just some very childish and immature behavior.

have you made a business plan about what kind of expertise you will require to aid you. and i still await the persuasive and detailed template email to paypal.
(not the personal emails about your personal victimisation you have already sent them)

Why do you keep using terms like "business" and "investment", when this is not what this is about? What I have proposed is an open, community-based non-profit organization to fight fraud and scammers. And I have also stated more than a few times I do not want to end up as the leader.

settle down concentrating on donations for now. instead get the main agenda of the organisation sorted. you dont need a website for this. all you need is to request some expertise and send some emails.

I'm not asking for any more donations. I want the responsibility taken off my hands immediately so I can be at peace again...

your day trading/ BMW M.Benz shows everyone that your not poor, so money should not be the main thing that you are repetitively trying to defend your trust over.

Ah, so you noticed... Perhaps I haven't been such a business "failure" after all, and as far as my own company (a private venture) goes I know what I am doing... So please leave me alone about my company...

earn your trust as a anti-fraud organisation CEO. not as a charity.

I don't WANT to be "CEO" of the anti-fraud organization. Other than running my own private company my way, not yours, I just want to play my part in getting one started and helping it accomplish something. So again, I'm asking people to step up and help with the effort. And the sooner someone is elected to take over the funds/donations the better, because I'm sick of holding it in my wallet and being attacked.

Regards,

--ATC--

Epic Coinage -- Gold, Silver, Bitcoin, Exchange, Apparel, Electronics and more!

Check the official trade thread for full list of products and services!

Tips :: 13M9QLc5BDQe2iuB1N3Br58fYvJF5ixihT
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 08:39:40 PM

The 0.80 BTC donation was the last transaction I'd received. So when I tried to make a transaction for a larger amount, 0.80 BTC was debited from the donation address to carry it out. I didn't quite understand that this was the way it worked until I saw it. So I sent back two transactions to the donation address to "reattach" the 0.80 BTC (and some of my own) to the donation address -- just so that it could be seen I wasn't taking it away and had coin of my own to contribute..

--ATC--

I see. I just assumed you would keep donations isolated from personal funds and had created a separate wallet for this endeavor.

It was a newbie mistake... I didn't quite understand how it worked until I saw what happened and had to rectify it. That is another reason I don't want to be in charge of any donation money anymore.  Embarrassed

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 09:17:12 PM

Anyone could please TL;DR what ATC said?

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 09:31:20 PM

I don't understand the use of "TL;DR" as a transitive verb?  Huh

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:38:51 PM

I don't understand the use of "TL;DR" as a transitive verb?  Huh

transitive verb tl;dr = 'summarize'
paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 10:56:37 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2013, 11:11:25 PM by paraipan

I don't understand the use of "TL;DR" as a transitive verb?  Huh

10mBtc for a nice tl;dr post

Edit: Ok, 50mBtc for it, I really want to know what is all about in this thread.

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

When I first encountered the term, I Googled "tl dr", but the results proved too long to read, so I didn't bother. Somebody should start a Cliff Notes version of the internet so that I can fully enjoy it.

I sure do love Aaron's writing abilities. Puts me to shame, albeit that wouldn't have taken much. I wouldn't mind having him on my team as a player in some future enterprise. Welcome to the community, Aaron. (Apology inferred!)

BTW, Aaron, are you planning on attending the conference in San Jose, California on May 17-19 2013, titled "Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments"?

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:08:41 PM

When I first encountered the term, I Googled "tl dr", but the results proved too long to read, so I didn't bother. Somebody should start a Cliff Notes version of the internet so that I can fully enjoy it.

I sure do love Aaron's writing abilities. Puts me to shame, albeit that wouldn't have taken much. I wouldn't mind having him on my team as a player in some future enterprise. Welcome to the community, Aaron. (Apology inferred!)

BTW, Aaron, are you planning on attending the conference in San Jose, California on May 17-19 2013, titled "Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments"?

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

Its a trap, just ignore Bruno he is baiting you. He is evil, true story.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 11:20:08 PM

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

Its a trap, just ignore Bruno he is baiting you. He is evil, true story.

jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 11:28:21 PM

Keep this up and you will hit 10k posts tonight Bruno. And I can hit 1k too with some effort, then I can be 1/10th as evil as you!

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 11:52:27 PM

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

Great! Who do I make the $10M check out to?  Kiss

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 02:34:58 AM

Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

Great! Who do I make the $10M check out to?  Kiss

Is this some kind of new coon-ass humor? I've lived in McComb, MS, for three years and never ran across it. Perhaps the border patrol stopped it from crossing over at Osyka.

Just messin' with you, Aaron. Later, bud.

~Bruno K~
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:04:59 AM

are you really wasting your time waffling about personal attacks?

seriously?

i have not called you childish or immature or used any derogatory names for you. so please please i plead with all my fingers pressed on the keyboard please read the threads.

are you also arguing with people because they have checked up on you?

you should be applauding people for finding vulnerabilities in your background and not trusting people on face value.

you should be teaching everyone to be doing the same, not attacking them.

now drop the defensive status, and accept that background checks are the norm when it comes to non face to face trading. don't reply with a defensive insult about immaturity and slander (by the way, you meant liable..)

take it on the chin that some people actually do look at the information available about the person.

now lets move onto the antifraud organisation. you dont want to head it up, ok cool. even more reason not to get defensive about it.

an antifraud organisation nees to do these things
* teach people of the easy to spot flaws in peoples background checks
* understand the laws that viable businesses need to obide by.
* to know the crime prevention agencies around the world that can enforce takedown orders on websites.
* understand that prevention is better then cure. especially on an anonymous community where its hard to chase after them after the fact. (E.G stopping CPC electronics before people hand over their money)
* understand that it does not cost huge amounts to send emails to crime prevention agencies or to the companies involved

now i plead again do not reply with a defensive waffle trying to win trust. please stick to the main evidence which we have asked for

*templates/emails sent to paypal/ebay. as stated you have already made some progress.
*templates/emails to CPC electronics
*list of the skills you require of people that you want to have within the organisation to take the pressure away from you.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:08:27 AM

Is this some kind of new coon-ass humor? I've lived in McComb, MS, for three years and never ran across it. Perhaps the border patrol stopped it from crossing over at Osyka.

Just messin' with you, Aaron. Later, bud.

~Bruno K~

I was just foxin.  Wink

I used to do a lot of deer hunting just outside of McComb... also been through Osyka quite a bit.

ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 07:43:27 PM

So... no one going to help it seems...  Tongue

How can I just give back the 0.80 BTC donation to whence it came?

In the block-chain info it looks like it came from the address: 1Dmn9Pj2V59f8taWeHxJ3gmc3BXVgV3qc

http://blockchain.info/address/1Cr3MTEQxruNimtdCBbUBvDtZFmcW7gHSs

Should I just send it back there?

I just wanna give it back and I'm going to work on this pet project I have on my heart on my own time and I'll put in my own money. Others can choose to help me, or not. But it's just not worth the controversy, imho. We can't accomplish anything if we only argue amongst ourselves and let con artists run unbridled throughout our community...  Undecided

Sorry if my excitement ran too high and I started off on the wrong foot... I just think this it is important for the future of Bitcoin to clean up the filth. Without confidence we are destined to fail. But if we can make Bitcoin commerce safe we can turn this world upside down.

--ATC--

P.S. -- I'm not stopping my efforts. Just wanna take 3rd party funds out of the equation.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:48:36 PM

It is a futile effort.  PayPal has no financial incentive to change anything neither does VISA or Matercard.  Someone using one of those and operating behind TOR dealing only with intangibles (no physical address) is essentially undetectable.  This is why it was naive to accept PayPal as a payment method despite the stickied warning in currency exchange.

Then rather than learn from that you jump off tilting at windmills.  Bitcoin commerce is safe, we did over $3M in transactions last year and I hope to triple that this year.  Your grandiose claims are off putting.  There isn't anything insecure about Bitcoin, there is something insecure with how YOU chose to do business.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 07:48:46 PM

The only way this is going to really work is to do it as a for-profit business and charge a fee to determine the fraud risk for each transaction.
ATC777 (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 07:59:37 PM

There isn't anything insecure about Bitcoin, there is something insecure with how YOU chose to do business.

I know. Which is why I completely stopped dealing with Paypal and such. I already acknowledged that mistake.

It's not Bitcoin itself which is unsafe. It's the fact that there are scammers everywhere preying on people because no one has really done anything to stop them. I talked to a guy last night who said he has more scammers trying to buy from him than legitimate customers. That is, to say the least, quite troubling...

And don't be mistaken... what I'm proposing is NOT just about Paypal or credit card companies. It's about combating all Bitcoin-related fraud/scams, even things such as the bogus CPC electronics which a few of our community members are actively working on having shut down. These are the types of things we need to be working on together to "clean up the street".

Even if all I accomplish is raising some awareness and stopping one person from getting cheated by someone like the people behind the fake CPC then we did something worthwhile... So while we might not be taking down "bad guys" like Dog the Bounty Hunter, at least we can do something in the way of prevention and seeking policy changes.

Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 08:09:25 PM

It's not Bitcoin itself which is unsafe. It's the fact that there are scammers everywhere preying on people because no one has really done anything to stop them. I talked to a guy last night who said he has more scammers trying to buy from him than legitimate customers. That is, to say the least, quite troubling...

Fraud is rampant across all payment methods, particularly internet-related ones like credit cards. Bitcoin is the only safe one. You can accept Bitcoins from any customer from anywhere in the world, and never have to worry about fraud.

Buy & Hold
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: