ethOS - Ethereum Mining Platform
(1/117) > >>
kotarius:
Site: http://ethosdistro.com/

Features

Remote configuration: instruct rig to remotely reboot; set core clocks, mem clocks, fan control, pool info, and other settings remotely.
Extremely lightweight: Works with weakest possible CPU made in the last 5 generations on only 1 gb of ram.
Automatic GPU overheat protection: GPUs will automatically turn off if they reach a temperature threshold.
Stratum Proxy: Automatically configured for local stratum proxy, stratum pools can be changed in config.
Boots and mines: IP assignment via DHCP, hostname defined by mac address.
Easy KVM: A terminal window opens with focus on boot, no mouse required.
Automatic reporting: Web panel with detailed rig statistics (example: http://337652.ethosdistro.com/).
DAG file management: SSD won't run out of space.

Requirements

At least 16gb SSD.
64-bit system.

How to Get

ethOS is released pre-loaded on a 16gb SSD.
Buy it at http://mining.gpushack.com/
gpuShack accepts major Credit Cards, PayPal, Amazon Payments, and Bitcoin.

Development

ethOS began development on January 21st and was released on February 15th. ethOS development took approximately 500 man-hours, which is the the equivalent of $25,000 USD at United States Average Linux Developer contractor rates. Therefore, all proceeds from ethOS sales are distributed among the development team.
kotarius:
Thanks very much, you make a lot of very good points. For someone that knows linux well, of course this is going to seem easy. But, as you know, no one has released an out-of-the-box ethereum mining solution, even though Ethereum is going crazy and is producing 8x over the cost of power to mine it. So, it is probably not as easy as it sounds.

I have sold 35 mining GPUs last week, and people do seem to like not getting scammed by bitcointalk people who are selling their shitty GPUs. All of gpuShack GPUs are guaranteed stable 24/7 operation.

This isn't just me working on this, I am just gauging interest in the community for this OS. Naturally, there will be future releases.

If you want to do something for the community. Release this for free, put some ads in there to your webshop or whatever. But don't charge people for something that can be done in 15minutes.

Of course I want to do something for the community, but why release it for free when miners can make so much money that they can afford it? Is this simply greed? I spent the last 72 hours perfecting this for release and only 12 of those hours were sleep.

For those out there having issues with Ethereum mining on *nix based systems. Send me a pm, i'll help you "FOR FREE".

That is very nice of you, but I think you'll start ripping your hair out after the second guy PMs you. Ethereum mining is very hard to get right for large-scale deployment.

kotarius:
You are right, but to know which linux OS to use, which version, which drivers, and which miner, is all information that has been collected.

There is no need to state the obvious, ethereum is hot. People will make their own decision whether or not to mine. I am not the only one profiting.

With regards to Ethereum going PoS, that will not happen for an entire year. It is happening when the devs release Serenity. Other coins have come and gone in a month, and no one asked how other out-of-the-box mining solutions will manage that, but for some reason I need to justify limiting support to a single algorithm? litecoin/scrypt had three competing OSs when it had just a 50 million dollar market cap, and ethereum is 4x bigger at 200ml.

With regards to supporting future algorithms, no I will not. The good folks over at getpimp.org can do that.

Why not releasing it for free? People will remember you, will definitely visit your website for GPU's. You're just forcing people to buy stuff from you, and that is something i hate.

I am not forcing anyone at gunpoint to buy anything. People remember me already, I am not worried about that.

PS. Windows is better for Ethereum mining.

For small one-rig miners, that is the case. They can mine on windows. Larger farms will appreciate automated solutions.
Marvell1:
Its even worse than this , not only are you charging for software that could be worthless 6-10 months your outdated 7950 and 280x gpus on your site are pretty bad for mining Eth in the next few months with the rising DAG size.  Right now a 280x only hashes at around 22mh/s down from 26 a few months ago and a 7950 like 18 mh/s

The cards to buy right now are 380 series cards or Nvida since they have more memory and bandwith to handle the larger dag for a lot longer time.

the 7900 series cards will be useless to mine Ethereum in about three months due to the amout of power/hash
kotarius:
Quote from: Marvell1 on January 26, 2016, 11:28:43 PM

Its even worse than this , not only are you charging for software that could be worthless 6-10 months your outdated 7950 and 280x gpus on your site are pretty bad for mining Eth in the next few months with the rising DAG size.  Right now a 280x only hashes at around 22mh/s down from 26 a few months ago and a 7950 like 18 mh/s

The cards to buy right now are 380 series cards or Nvida since they have more memory and bandwith to handle the larger dag for a lot longer time.

the 7900 series cards will be useless to mine Ethereum in about three months due to the amout of power/hash

This is a lot of disinformation. Even with DAG size increasing, the best hash/cost GPUs are still the tahiti HD 7950/7970 R9 280/x. If you would like to buy a $400 GTX 980 to mine 12MH/s on it, please be my guest and do it on Windows. ethOS is for people who build farms, not gamers who take a break playing league of legends to mine crypto. You are not the target market.

Please also see https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/Ethash-Design-Rationale

QUOTE FROM SITE:

The ~0.73x per year growth level was chosen to roughly be balanced with Moore's law increases at least initially (exponential growth has a risk of overshooting Moore's law, leading to a situation where mining requires very large amounts of memory and ordinary GPUs are no longer usable for mining).

Since DAG file is 1.3gb now, in one year, according to above design rationale, it will be 2.24GB, which is way lower than 3GB. Therefore, it makes no sense to buy any GPU that has over 3GB of VRAM. In fact, the mining period will end before the DAG reaches 3GB.

PS. I am not charging for software, according to GLP license (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.en.html). Instead, I am charging for the distribution method and for support, which is extremely common in the linux world (both Ubuntu and Redhat follow portions of this model). You would be surprised how many people would rather not make a ton of ssd clones for their farm.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page