Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:03:50 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Conference 2013 in San Jose  (Read 9159 times)
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 09:36:32 AM

To my surprise, I didn't find any mention of this on the forum so I thought I'd post about it until an official thread comes along.

The Bitcoin Foundation is organizing a Conference in San Jose, California on May 17-19 2013, titled "Bitcoin 2013: The Future of Payments".

http://www.bitcoin2013.com/

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 12:23:29 PM

I think it would be interesting to see who will be coming and from where.

I will fly in from Tokyo.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 03:49:46 PM

I think it would be interesting to see who will be coming and from where.

I will fly in from Tokyo.

I plan to attend.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 06:35:34 PM

Why is that BitcoinTalk is the last to get wind of this? Not meant as a diss, but am curious.

Being that the subtitle of the event is The Future of Payments, I believe this would fall in line with how NPOs will be funded in the future. It may be worthwhile for me to not only attend, but erect a booth and form a panel.

~Bruno K~
Meni Rosenfeld (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 07:07:29 PM

Why is that BitcoinTalk is the last to get wind of this? Not meant as a diss, but am curious.
I wondered the same. I heard about it on Reddit. 12 hours later, still nothing on the forum. 10 more and still nothing official. This really puts into question the forum's status as the go-to place for staying in the loop.

Maybe TBF is just taking the time to troll-proof their announcement Smiley.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 09:56:08 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2013, 06:34:33 AM by Yankee (BitInstant)

I wondered the same. I heard about it on Reddit. 12 hours later, still nothing on the forum. 10 more and still nothing official. This really puts into question the forum's status as the go-to place for staying in the loop.

Hey, Someone was supposed to announce it everywhere, maybe it was just an error on their part.

I believe this would fall in line with how NPOs will be funded in the future. It may be worthwhile for me to not only attend, but erect a booth and form a panel.

~Bruno K~

I would love to talk to you about this and making it happen. Ill PM you details once we finalize them

Thanks

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 10:55:07 PM

Does anyone have any stories how difficult it is to travel to USA from europe? I have heard that the custom, security checks etc can be real pain in the ass. I would love to attend but I don't like traveling/flying that much, especially long waiting times in some custom queues...

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

Does anyone have any stories how difficult it is to travel to USA from europe? I have heard that the custom, security checks etc can be real pain in the ass. I would love to attend but I don't like traveling/flying that much, especially long waiting times in some custom queues...

I believe that if you fly into a regional hub, the wait won't be as bad.

Hey, Lindsay was supposed to announce it everywhere, maybe it was just an error on her part.

I believe this would fall in line with how NPOs will be funded in the future. It may be worthwhile for me to not only attend, but erect a booth and form a panel.

~Bruno K~

I would love to talk to you about this and making it happen. Ill PM you details once we finalize them

Thanks

<humor>

Please don't tell us that Lindsay walks around with a chicken on her shoulders.  Grin

I couldn't resist, and perhaps it was just an oversight. No harm!

I look forward to your PM, Yankee.

~Bruno K~
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 11:24:38 PM

It always has. But I've visited the States a few times in the past, and the Customs/Immigration bureaucracy, while onerous, is tolerable for those qualifying for the visa-waiver program (or if you can somehow otherwise swing a visa).

The real problem now is the TSA when flying out of a US airport. I would love to try to attend this but I don't plan on visiting the US without an overland plan to travel onto Canada and fly out from there, thus hopefully bypassing the TSA. That will be more onerous, time-consuming and costly.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2013, 11:48:25 PM

Which country are you arriving from?

I believe Eurozone countries get an auto tourist visa upon arrival. You dont need to provide other information, ect.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 12:53:32 AM

Which country are you arriving from?

I believe Eurozone countries get an auto tourist visa upon arrival. You dont need to provide other information, ect.

Last time I looked, Greeks did not have access to the visa-waiver program, something that may or may not have changed by now. Plus, something called an ESTA has to be obtained in advance, I think, along with the regular I-94.

It's tricky but certainly not impossible to travel to the US as a visitor. Nowadays, I'd be more concerned about the DHS/TSA than Customs/Immigration.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 01:31:05 AM

Well seeing as the convention center is less than a mile from my house, I'll be there Tongue

Is it just going to be panels, or will there be individual speakers, breakout rooms, etc?

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 03:13:38 AM

Well seeing as the convention center is less than a mile from my house, I'll be there Tongue

Is it just going to be panels, or will there be individual speakers, breakout rooms, etc?

Moreover, whether all panels or not, is this the type of panel (or similar) to be expected at Bitcoin2013 shown in the following video?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSouQFcb0Q

~Bruno K~
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:23:18 AM

Not a word about registration fees on their Website yet.

Attendee registration will be available soon.  Send us your contact information using the form below, and we'll notify you when registration is available.

The reason for this forum "not being in the loop" may simply be that not all the details have been worked out yet.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:04:55 AM

Itll have all of that!

Its a 3 day mega event!

niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:20:22 AM

Itll have all of that!

Its a 3 day mega event!

I wish it to be less preaching-to-the-choir, and more of an opportunity for bitcoin-curious businesses to see demonstrations and attend lectures and hands-on workshops. Besides that, bitcoiners should get together for brainstorming sessions and hackathons.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:36:08 AM

Itll have all of that!

Its a 3 day mega event!

I wish it to be less preaching-to-the-choir, and more of an opportunity for bitcoin-curious businesses to see demonstrations and attend lectures and hands-on workshops. Besides that, bitcoiners should get together for brainstorming sessions and hackathons.

Sorry, I got excited in my response  Grin

To answer your question....Yes, we've been trying to tailor this conference in a very hands-on way.

I think a successful conference is when we interact with each other and the experts in a specific field together, concentrated in topics and fields of knowledge.

There will be panel discussions, a hackathon, VC pitches, and exhibits, as well as individual speakers.

maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 07:34:44 AM

Itll have all of that!

Its a 3 day mega event!

Let me rephrase. If I go to the website, there is only a submission form to be part of a panel discussion (worthless, imho). Where do I submit a paper or sign up to give a talk?

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 04:23:36 PM

Itll have all of that!

Its a 3 day mega event!

Let me rephrase. If I go to the website, there is only a submission form to be part of a panel discussion (worthless, imho). Where do I submit a paper or sign up to give a talk?

Ah, it all goes to the same email inbox. You can also PM me and we can chat about it!

dacoinminster
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 04:35:29 PM

San Jose?! That's actually a location I could attend!

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: