Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:49:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could I mine Bitcoin with a MacBook Air?  (Read 10494 times)
ketchupmaster (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 01:06:21 AM

So I did a little research to find out if I could use my MacBook Air laptop for Bitcoin mining, and the only thing I found was that the 2013 version has a pretty good GPU, I guess an Intel quad core GT3, and I didn't really get any farther than that in terms of figuring out mining efficiency and whatnot, because I couldn't find any specs on the wiki where other GPUs were.
This is where I found the chart on the wiki:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Non-specialized_hardware_comparison#Intel
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 01:10:11 AM

Sorry but no.  You would only burn up your GPU and would never make enough BTC to even pay for the extra electricity used.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ketchupmaster (OP)

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 01:14:01 AM

Ok, good to know, so could there be any alternatives? I've heard about cloud mining, but I'm not entirely sure how that works.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 6659

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 01:15:02 AM

Ok, good to know, so could there be any alternatives? I've heard about cloud mining, but I'm not entirely sure how that works.
Buy ASIC miners which are dedicated mining hardware. 99% of cloud mining services are scams so stay away from them.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 01:19:50 AM

Yes, before you even think about cloud mining please read and fully understand this thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=878387.0

After that if you still want to cloud mine then pick one that is not a scam based on the above thread.

NOTE:  even if it is not a scam you will most likely lose money.

Based on the above thread, if you want to throw your money away, do it here:  https://www.hashnest.com/

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
mark coins

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:17:17 AM

dont do cloud mining, most of them are just scam in the making and some are not really profitable or will take year/s before you can get ROI. try to rent a mining rig here https://www.miningrigrentals.com/ and point it to which ever pool you like to join or just use it to mine alt coins
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:21:10 AM

If your just wanting to learn mining look at compacs from sidehack, also RPI to run it vs a laptop is smarter on saving electricity.  I would look twords this is your just wanting to learn mining.

It will not ROI though it's more for  fun.   If your looking at ROI it's a another story and we need to know a lot about your electricity.
alpher

Activity: 43
Merit: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:38:57 AM

Why mine?
By far much cheaper way to get some BTC is to simply buy it.
Mining on the cheap is been dead for awhile now, if you have a truly free power you may have a shoot by buying
some older less efficient hardware.
Macbook = forget it, you wouldn't mine a single 0.01BTC in a century!
You wanna Bitcoin, = BUY it.
Cloud mining is not 99% scam, is like 99.999999% scam, remember that.
chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 04:16:58 AM

Why mine?
By far much cheaper way to get some BTC is to simply buy it.
Mining on the cheap is been dead for awhile now, if you have a truly free power you may have a shoot by buying
some older less efficient hardware.
Macbook = forget it, you wouldn't mine a single 0.01BTC in a century!
You wanna Bitcoin, = BUY it.
Cloud mining is not 99% scam, is like 99.999999% scam, remember that.

Yeah I wouldn't really trust cloud mining, nor would I invest now in ASIC miners, nor try to mine on a laptop (you will just be left scratching your head when your laptop won't work anymore and hot as a stove).

This is the whole argument that is going on right now.  The only people that are profiting from mining are large mining farms, which pretty much insinuates that mining has become centralized.

It's too much of a headache to mine, and you will more than likely get nothing out of it for a very long time, especially if you try to solo mine... plus you have to worry about the fact that mining rewards are going to be cut in half in 5 or so months now.

Just buy if you want to get into owning some.

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
January 27, 2016, 09:58:49 AM

Buy ASIC miners which are dedicated mining hardware. 99% of cloud mining services are scams so stay away from them.

Though even when buying mining hardware, you need to calculate very carefully because the difficulty to mine is rising and profits going down constantly. I think a lot of miners are happy when they get their investment back at least.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
coinzat

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Young but I'm not that bold

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 12:42:56 PM

As you are still newbie, i recommend you not to invest in mining at all, mining by PC is just a waste of power and money. and if you want to buy a miner, they are quite expensive and consume a lot of electricity so to get your ROI it may take years with this current difficulty
BR01

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:13:36 PM

mining with a pc is not profitble since a long time ago so i think if you realy want mine with it you should not use it on full power and try to gamble on mining Altcoins because when their prices go higher you will be making profit
zodiac3011

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 02:25:27 PM

Bitcoin is not your option to mine actually. You should look into mining CPU-only coin which will be much much more efficient
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 03:36:39 PM

you can only try some altcoin, like ethereum, you should be on par unless your electricity is very cheap or free, but usually gpu on macbook are poor, so not recommended because of this not because there are not possible profit
wayniac30

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 06:05:53 PM

Short answer: NO. You might want to try some altcoin though but don't expect to much.
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 06:35:39 PM

You can, but I would not recommend it. The power of the Macbook is the low in order to mine some recognizable amount of Bitcoins.
Try to join a cloud mining service. It makes more sense in my opinion.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 06:41:41 PM

You can, but I would not recommend it. The power of the Macbook is the low in order to mine some recognizable amount of Bitcoins.
Try to join a cloud mining service. It makes more sense in my opinion.

Cloud mining there are a ton of scams out there.  So be careful when doing it.  If you do decide that route look into hashnest.

It allows you to buy and sell.  And is legit where a lot are not.
Tyrantt

Activity: 1022
Merit: 564

Need some spare btc for a new PC

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 11:50:48 PM

So I did a little research to find out if I could use my MacBook Air laptop for Bitcoin mining, and the only thing I found was that the 2013 version has a pretty good GPU, I guess an Intel quad core GT3, and I didn't really get any farther than that in terms of figuring out mining efficiency and whatnot, because I couldn't find any specs on the wiki where other GPUs were.
This is where I found the chart on the wiki:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Non-specialized_hardware_comparison#Intel

Don't think of mining with CPU or GPU, maybe some alt-coin but with a laptop/desktop, nah.

Need some spare btc for a new PC that can at least run Adobe Dreamweaver.

BTC - 19qm3kH4MZELkefEb55HCe4Y5jgRRLCQmn ♦♦♦ ETH - 0xd71ACd8781d66393eBfc3Acd65B224e97Ae1952D
ketchupmaster (OP)

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:08:53 PM

If your just wanting to learn mining look at compacs from sidehack, also RPI to run it vs a laptop is smarter on saving electricity.  I would look twords this is your just wanting to learn mining.

It will not ROI though it's more for  fun.   If your looking at ROI it's a another story and we need to know a lot about your electricity.

I just kinda wanna have Bitcoin, I don't really care that much about ROI
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1531

View Profile
May 10, 2016, 04:39:35 PM

If you do not care about the ROI then you could buy Bitcoin directly. I do not know where you come from or how much money you have, but when you could buy a MacBook Air then I would assume that you can afford to buy some small amounts of Bitcoin directly  Wink

I just kinda wanna have Bitcoin, I don't really care that much about ROI
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: