Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:11:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Set in Stone  (Read 1091 times)
Thursday (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2013, 10:22:23 PM

I know my savings wallet is secure in that it was created on a live OS offline, and now any trace only remains on a piece of paper in my safe. 

On the flip side of a paper wallets security is that I don't like my Bitcoin wealth depending solely on a flimsy piece of everyday paper.

I've been brainstorming different ideas and have mostly decided upon an engraving in metal, or possibly a small stencil I can paint/enamel in various obscure places.

What are your thoughts on engraving a private key into a more hardy medium?  Any examples?

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
mjc

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 12:23:17 AM

A 3D print of a QR Code might work.  After printing store it.  When you want to read it set it in a black stamp pad to mark the high points.  Then take a picture of it to process it.  You would know if anyone else tried to do it before you, since there would be ink on it.  Of course a pencil rubbing and some editing could steal it from you.  I think however you get the general drift.  The problem is that you need your own 3D Printer and software in order to ensure no one has access to the QR Code pattern.

I think I may try this, I have a friend with a 3D printer who refuses to try to understand Bitcoin.  Actually, I think I might have him do a bogus QR Code once to see if it can be done.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 12:30:13 AM

It was discussed before.

You can print a second copy and keep it in another physical locations or/and you can encrypt your keys with truecrypt or gpg and store it somewhere in the cloud.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 02:46:18 AM

You could laminate the standard piece of paper for more durability and damage resistance, but I really like the idea of having it engraved in a bar of bullion of your choice then storing that in the safe. You could always buy physical Bitcoins by Casascius and the work would be done for you.

A QR code is a good idea as long as QR codes can still be read in the future (Who knows when they'll become obsolete). I don't agree however, with the use of "the cloud". That leaves a single point of failure and potential access by malicious persons.

bowen151

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Caveat Emptor

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 03:37:14 AM

The gold plated bar from casascius? Use it like a wallet and load the "bar" up with BTC

I think the OP wants something a bit more than "just a piece of paper"

-Buying/Selling graphics cards every month
--Buying BTC every month £/$/€200+ wanted
---UK based re-seller of physical bitcoins  Click here to buy
Thursday (OP)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:23:23 AM

I have a few Casascius coins coming in the mail.  I think any collectors value they have is diminished when adding coins to them yourself.  I like the convenience of the QR code but I don't think reproducing it on a piece of metal is as easy as the private keys.  QR codes are also an invitation for anyone with a smartphone.  Not that anyone would know what to do with it at the moment.

I'm thinking of buying a set of these and seeing what I can come up with.  I just need to find some lower case and upper case letters.

1AXBRFK5a8dP7z8T3gb3hvUjm2F6KYFmgS
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:30:42 AM

A 3D print of a QR Code might work.

you could build this out of lego.

might want to glue the underside of the bricks though just in case they get moved Cheesy
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:37:20 AM

A 3D print of a QR Code might work.

you could build this out of lego.

might want to glue the underside of the bricks though just in case they get moved Cheesy

That would be interesting, and yet, no one would notice what it is exactly if you just had it on your bookshelf. Just say you're a kid at heart!  Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: