Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 10:15:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: First a math question, then...  (Read 3229 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:50:46 AM

Could the exact GPS coordinates be found if only three other GPS coordinates are supplied along with exact distance from each to the desired location? Or would that give you two possible locations?

I don't know much about GPS but to me it seems quite clear, from a purely geometric point of view, that there are two solutions to this problem.   Since you probably try to locate a point on the surface of the earth and not in space, it's likely that only one of the two solutions is acceptable.
Except the other three GPS locations used to find the fourth location are on earth, not in space, and the plane of the triangle between those three points could skew the end result if said plane is not parallel to the earth's surface.
Except the earth's surface is not flat. The actual triangular plane is within the surface of the earth, not parallel to it. GPS coordinates are coordinates on a sphere, and a map is a projection of those points. Unless they are very close together, or very different in elevation, the elevation of the points doesn't really matter, as all the distances are along the ground - around the surface of the sphere - anyway. The elevation of the points will, if it's great enough, cause some inaccuracy in the location, but it will still only resolve to one (possibly inaccurate) point on the surface of the earth.
Picture it this way:  If a triangle is perpendicular to the earth, and you are trying to do this sort of analysis, then you would have two very viable points for the same calculation - one on each side of the triangle.

Eh, maybe it's hard to explain without a picture.  I'll see if I can come up with one.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 02:59:14 AM

Could the exact GPS coordinates be found if only three other GPS coordinates are supplied along with exact distance from each to the desired location? Or would that give you two possible locations?

I don't know much about GPS but to me it seems quite clear, from a purely geometric point of view, that there are two solutions to this problem.   Since you probably try to locate a point on the surface of the earth and not in space, it's likely that only one of the two solutions is acceptable.
Except the other three GPS locations used to find the fourth location are on earth, not in space, and the plane of the triangle between those three points could skew the end result if said plane is not parallel to the earth's surface.
Except the earth's surface is not flat. The actual triangular plane is within the surface of the earth, not parallel to it. GPS coordinates are coordinates on a sphere, and a map is a projection of those points. Unless they are very close together, or very different in elevation, the elevation of the points doesn't really matter, as all the distances are along the ground - around the surface of the sphere - anyway. The elevation of the points will, if it's great enough, cause some inaccuracy in the location, but it will still only resolve to one (possibly inaccurate) point on the surface of the earth.
Picture it this way:  If a triangle is perpendicular to the earth, and you are trying to do this sort of analysis, then you would have two very viable points for the same calculation - one on each side of the triangle.

Eh, maybe it's hard to explain without a picture.  I'll see if I can come up with one.

If the triangle is perpendicular to the surface of the earth, then you have committed exactly the error I warned against earlier: discounting elevation, all your points are in a straight line. That's why you have two valid surface points, not the elevation.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:11:58 AM

If the triangle is perpendicular to the surface of the earth, then you have committed exactly the error I warned against earlier: discounting elevation, all your points are in a straight line. That's why you have two valid surface points, not the elevation.
Fair enough.

I'm going to try to illustrate my argument with a couple of crudely-drawn paint images.

This first image shows a triangle perpendicular to the earth.  I am only really showing it to help people better visualize what I am attempting to represent in the second picture.  As you can see, two perfectly legitimate positions can be derived from the calculations of the triangles.

In the second image, I attempt to demonstrate a triangle slightly tilted (due to difference in elevation when taking the readings).  With the tilt of the triangle, the mirror images of the triangle don't overlap with each other, and you still end up with a difference in calculated position. The horizontal dotted black line attempts to show that difference.

payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:19:10 AM

This first image shows a triangle perpendicular to the earth.  I am only really showing it to help people better visualize what I am attempting to represent in the second picture.  As you can see, two perfectly legitimate positions can be derived from the calculations of the triangles.

i couldn't decipher this image.

perhaps you could mark the points, instead of the lines, and say which 3 points form the initial triangle

then mark the two perfectly legitimate positions as X and Y

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:39:46 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2013, 03:51:04 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

I propose:

Sounds nifty. If you can put together a complete plan, you might want to list it on http://bitcoinstarter.com/

Actually, I have an outfit in mind capable of building the device en masse. Retaining capital may not be that big of a concern. What's paramount is brainstormin' the idea to the nth degree in an open-source manner, whereupon the reward for doing such is that all bitcoiners would be able to purchase the item at a steep discount oppose to the SRP that the general public will have to pay.

Granted, such a thing can be easily developed as an APP for a smart phone at a much cheaper price point, but that would negate the aspect of giving a physical gift, one that as it's look upon would elicit emotions for the gift giver. That would be lost if such an item only consisted of binary code in some hand-held device already loaded with gimmicky apps no longer, or worse, never used.

More to come!

~Bruno K~

Agreed on all points. I even have a snappy name: GeoCash. If you like it and use it, send me a few BTC, and I'll be happy. Smiley

Nice name, but won't work: About 23,200 results (0.36 seconds)

Now on to reading the other posts, and it looks like math is evolved, for I glimpsed triangulation images.

EDIT: Now I'm back at square one, not knowing if two points or one is possible. Google, here I come!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:42:58 AM

In the second image, I attempt to demonstrate a triangle slightly tilted (due to difference in elevation when taking the readings).  With the tilt of the triangle, the mirror images of the triangle don't overlap with each other, and you still end up with a difference in calculated position. The horizontal dotted black line attempts to show that difference.

That image isn't very clear. Are lines B1 and B2 identical in length? Same for C1 and C2, and A1 and A2? They need to be.

Remember, what you're actually reading when you press the button is a sphere, placed on the surface of a much larger sphere, with it's center at your location, and it's surface intersecting your destination. Sine we're pretty sure the desired location is not in space, or deep within the crust, most of those points are discarded, leaving only a circle on the surface of the larger sphere.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:53:59 AM

That image isn't very clear. Are lines B1 and B2 identical in length? Same for C1 and C2, and A1 and A2? They need to be.

Remember, what you're actually reading when you press the button is a sphere, placed on the surface of a much larger sphere, with it's center at your location, and it's surface intersecting your destination. Sine we're pretty sure the desired location is not in space, or deep within the crust, most of those points are discarded, leaving only a circle on the surface of the larger sphere.

Is it safe to assume that that is how the distance is calculated using GPS? I see that it wouldn't be a pure straight line through the crust of the Earth.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 04:17:56 AM

Is it safe to assume that that is how the distance is calculated using GPS? I see that it wouldn't be a pure straight line through the crust of the Earth.

That's how it's calculated when the GPS is figuring out where you are, in relation to the satellites. The GPS knows it's on the surface of the earth, though, so when it calculates distance, it does it along the surface, since it knows how many miles or kilometers it is, roughly, per degree or longitude and latitude. It's not a straight line through the earth that it uses, but a curved one along the surface. That's how it defines the circle. That little box is smarter than you might think.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 05:30:56 AM

That's how it's calculated when the GPS is figuring out where you are, in relation to the satellites. The GPS knows it's on the surface of the earth, though, so when it calculates distance, it does it along the surface, since it knows how many miles or kilometers it is, roughly, per degree or longitude and latitude. It's not a straight line through the earth that it uses, but a curved one along the surface. That's how it defines the circle. That little box is smarter than you might think.

That's what I figured, whereupon a layperson would just imagine it as a beeline.

Allow me to re-ask the original question differently, given:

Suppose there's a site on the internet that allows the user to plug in a GPS coordinate and a distance into some provide fields. Then they are asked to provide two different sets of the same into another pair of fields. Then asked to do it one more time, making that three different GPS coordinates and three different distances. Would the resulted GPS coordinate be of one location or two?

Bear in the mind that this imaginary device does not read out any GPS coordinates, and must be provided with the use of a secondary device, presumably a smart phone. More on this later, but first let's make sure we're on the same page as it pertains to the question.

~Bruno K~
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 05:51:39 AM

Well, sure, they should be exactly.  I didn't bother to make them exact when I drew them, because the point still stands.  If you picture the points mirrored from each other whilist the triangle is perfectly flat, then you should also be able to picture the points in different X,Y positions (if X,Y can be assumed to be a point on the surface of the earth) if the triangle is tilted (relative to the surface of the earth).  In the case of a tilt, one point would stay on the surface, and the other point would be underground, but you would have to have some way of determining which point is the one underground and which point is the one on the surface.

I am certain the math would be elementary with someone familiar with these sorts of calculations.  The only point I was making is that there are two valid and legitimate answers for the question "what point in space, relative to the triangle's location, matches the length of A, B, and C?"  When calculating what the X,Y on the surface of the earth must be, a person must take this into account and be certain to choose the correct answer to the question out of the two possible answers.  If you have a machine to do this automatically, then all the better - it should be able to easily determine which point is the legitimate point.  But I was under the impression that no such machine existed, and Phinnaeus was attempting to do this the old fashioned way, in which case, more care should be taken.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 06:25:15 AM

Allow me to re-ask the original question differently, given:

Suppose there's a site on the internet that allows the user to plug in a GPS coordinate and a distance into some provide fields. Then they are asked to provide two different sets of the same into another pair of fields. Then asked to do it one more time, making that three different GPS coordinates and three different distances. Would the resulted GPS coordinate be of one location or two?

Bear in the mind that this imaginary device does not read out any GPS coordinates, and must be provided with the use of a secondary device, presumably a smart phone. More on this later, but first let's make sure we're on the same page as it pertains to the question.

Well, Let's say I gave you such a device, and you immediately used it from home, then proceeded to plug in that info into the website. As a helpful aid to your locating the target spot, it throws up this image:

So, you then decide to go into Chicago and check from there:

So now we have 2 points, one down in central Illinois, and one in southern Wisconsin (just outside the scope of this map, sadly, but you can see where it would be), and it is now time for a bit of a road trip. Hitting the button and inputting the information once you get to Peoria results in this image:

And we're left with only one point remaining that matches the distances from the three points. I was sending you to Lincoln. As long as your three points are not in a straight line, this will always happen.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 07:17:15 AM

The small device (for sake of design, consider it box-shaped) only has a display that reads out in miles or kilometers (automatically adjusts to the region it's in) while in default mode, a single button, and an image, similar to one below.

Would have a USB port for programming and a port for a charger (included), for it runs on replaceable rechargeable batteries, located behind a screwed in panel.

Almost forgot something. A very small speaker is inside the device, or another unmarked port is provided that would accommodate a headphone cord, which may prove to be the better option.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 07:26:12 AM

Dafuq is that?

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 07:29:26 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2013, 03:24:46 PM by Phinnaeus Gage

FDFY!  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

In fact, this is what's going to give us the inspiration as to what to name the damn thing.

~Bruno K~
sounds

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

1221iZanNi5igK7oAA7AWmYjpsyjsRbLLZ

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 09:33:54 AM

Some say the Voynich manuscript is a hoax, and contains no real meaning.

I'm fascinated by your idea, Phinnaeus. When the user gets to the final point, would the item do or reveal anything? If not... what a joke!

Oh, and I can second what SgtSpike and myrkul are saying: because GPS confines all coordinates to MSL (Mean Sea Level) + elevation, and elevation is always much smaller than the diameter of the sphere, then we can say elevation is always (approximately) zero.

This means a triangle formed by three GPS coordinates is either degenerate (it's a straight line) – or, the points and the length from each point will exactly resolve to one "solution." Since elevation is not truly zero, there are actually two solutions if elevation is included in the calculation; but both solutions need to be averaged together to get the best Latitude and Longitude reading for the real solution (that is, use Newton's method to approximate a more accurate solution along the line between the two mathematical solutions).
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:45:18 PM

Some say the Voynich manuscript is a hoax, and contains no real meaning.

I'm fascinated by your idea, Phinnaeus. When the user gets to the final point, would the item do or reveal anything? If not... what a joke!

Oh, and I can second what SgtSpike and myrkul are saying: because GPS confines all coordinates to MSL (Mean Sea Level) + elevation, and elevation is always much smaller than the diameter of the sphere, then we can say elevation is always (approximately) zero.

This means a triangle formed by three GPS coordinates is either degenerate (it's a straight line) – or, the points and the length from each point will exactly resolve to one "solution." Since elevation is not truly zero, there are actually two solutions if elevation is included in the calculation; but both solutions need to be averaged together to get the best Latitude and Longitude reading for the real solution (that is, use Newton's method to approximate a more accurate solution along the line between the two mathematical solutions).

It will be up to the giver of the device and how that person programmed it as to what's at the final destination. The possibilities are endless: the geocaching crowd could find a use for it; lovers could give it to their sole mates, where its only purpose is to read out how far away they are from the location of their first kiss, date, sex, met, etc.; B & M businesses could use it for some creative marketing campaign; among others I've thought of and, given time, a myriad more examples would manifest themselves. Bottomline, let the end users decide its purpose.

Putting aside the marketing aspect to create a demand for the device (just had a vision of Atlas when I penned 'device' that time--weird!), what would be paramount is that the device works properly, and the website function seamlessly with little effort on the user's part. I further propose that the device be manufactured in the US as cost efficient as possible, not worrying too much of its final price point, for it's a gift, not a necessity. As a gift, the device should have aesthetic qualities in its design and packaging, albeit it's possibly just a box-like structure.

For sake of argument, we'll just safely assume that one coordinated is possible when only three coordinates are inputted. Any bugs regarding this fact can be worked out during the coding stage of the accompanied website.

More to come.

~Bruno K~
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:56:07 PM

myrkul

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 04:09:26 PM

FDFY!  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

In fact, this is what's going to give us the inspiration as to what to name the damn thing.

~Bruno K~

That's pretty trippy.

Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 05:21:54 PM

I've coined a name for the device, stemming from the following:

It currently has only one mundane result via Google and is easy to pronounce, coupled with having other attributes.

I'm going to purchase the domain name later today.

To be clear, the Voynich Manuscript was only used for inspiration in naming the device and gleaning an example symbol. I sure the hell don't desire to be sued by descendants of its author.

~Bruno K~
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 10:38:14 PM

woah, i just learned something...

it results in TWO points IF all 3 known points are in a straight line.

and it follows that an infinite number of known points will not reduce this to 1 known point as long as all the known points are in a straight line.

gotta have some kind of triangle there for triangulation Cheesy

That's what I figured.

Allow me to be a little more specific.

You are holding a device that reads out that you are X miles away from a specific location. No GPS coordinates are given, with this fact being true for all as I continue with my example. You move to another location of which you know the direction and distance, then reread the device. It now states that you are Y miles from that same specific location. Either from the new location or the original one, you once again relocate to another point, also knowing how far and what direction you traveled. Looking at the device, you now see that you are Z distance from the specific location desired.

Given that, can you triangular where the desired specific location is by one result, or is there a second result that also must be checked?

Assume the distance is in a straight line as a crow flies.

Thanks to all who've answered so far.

~Bruno K~

What you are describing is called "Triangulation", it works to find a point in a plane if the three given points are not in a line. If you have three dimensions you would need a fourth point, as you will get two possible solutions from three points unless the given point is coplanar with the three.

You don't have to worry too much over short distances, but for longer distances you might need to know whether the distance follows the surface of the earth or goes through it?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: