Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 09:00:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTCFPGA announces hosted ASIC plans... what does this portend?  (Read 6283 times)
puck2 (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 04:42:06 AM

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.msg2436#msg2436

Will other ASIC manufacturers follow suit?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:08:30 AM

That's quite...interesting. That's pretty vague, so we'll see.

Side note: There's a discussion going on HERE concerning 3rd parth hosting of ASIC hardware.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 07:10:43 AM
Last edit: January 02, 2013, 05:50:35 PM by crazyates

BITCOIN MINING is dead if this goes ahead !!!!
Oh Good Lord, if I had a nickle for every time some noob exactly like yourself claimed that Bitcoin Mining was doomed, I'd stop mining and buy myself an Island somewhere. Srsly, you joined 2 weeks ago, less than 50 posts, and suddenly you know the future when it comes to a purposefully (and extremely) vague announcement?

You know Inaba has been hosting Singles for customers for months now? Yes, you can supply your own host PC and you can remote in at any time and point it to any mining pool of your choosing. Your post is making stuff up about details Tom has not clarified yet.

Edit: I see YipYip has deleted his comment. I should have quoted the whole thing. It was awesome. I swear I'm not crazy!

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 05:40:23 PM

Makes me wonder if he's finally realized his power usage is going not be... "competitive" and this is his way of trying to get around that.  It also makes me wonder if he's going to come back in two weeks and say "The first batch of orders will be only for hosted plans" so he doesn't have to actually deliver anything in the middle of January.  Maybe he bought GPUmax with his proceeds and is selling the hashing power Smiley

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 05:46:43 PM

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:49:26 PM

Makes me wonder if he's finally realized his power usage is going not be... "competitive" and this is his way of trying to get around that.  It also makes me wonder if he's going to come back in two weeks and say "The first batch of orders will be only for hosted plans" so he doesn't have to actually deliver anything in the middle of January.  Maybe he bought GPUmax with his proceeds and is selling the hashing power Smiley

Makes me wonder if you read the entire thread or just one post so that you could freely speculate and twist things however you like.

Posted by davebuzz of BTCFPGA on 1/1/2013

I'm working on a FAQ post about the managed hosting offering that will include full details and ROI calculation.  In the meantime, here's a few key points:

-a conversion option will be made available such that any prepaid shipping and DHL upgrades on current orders will be able to be applied to hosting fees
-although expected power consumption of bASICs is low, the hosted solution eliminates device efficiency as a key factor of long term profitability.  Basically - its not how much power your device consumes, its how much you pay for the power it consumes.  By utilizing hosting you will take advantage of extremely low power rates (100% green power), which will keep your units operating profitably far longer than if you set up your rig anywhere else.
-for existing pre-order customers - if you "convert" to a hosted plan, your rig will be set up in the order you would otherwise have been shipped.

More details on this offering soon!

https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=806.15

I dunno if they'll ship on time this round, but let's put all the information on the table shall we?

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 06:50:08 PM

Ah thanks CreativeX, so it is because the device will be using significantly more power than the competition, so they did in fact have to come up with another solution.  Thanks for clearing that up. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
itsgoldbaby

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

Hello!

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 06:54:55 PM

Ah thanks CreativeX, so it is because the device will be using significantly more power than the competition, so they did in fact have to come up with another solution.  Thanks for clearing that up. 

Thanks for the informative posts BFL rep Inaba. Your posts make me oh so want to get an ASIC ( I was planning on doing the FPGA upgrade, hopefully Inaba's response to trolls with his pointless trolling of other companies doesn't make me hate them though. ).
creativex

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 07:14:12 PM

Do you have additional information you'd like to share? Evidence perhaps, or is this merely your opinion formulated in the absence of any evidence? I've seen Tom on record saying that a bASIC01 will use up to 120w to reach 72Gh. That's 1.67w/Gh, so which competitor is using significantly less/Gh? Avalon? Nope. AsicMiner? Nope. BFL? Who knows.

As you know your company has estimated 60w@60Gh or 1w/Gh, but as you are also no doubt aware BFL does not have chips, and has under estimated power consumption of their products by 400% in the past. Add to this the fact that a BFL single costs significantly more per Gh than a bASIC01 and I think it's pretty clear which is the better value.

puck2 (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 08:43:49 PM

That's quite...interesting. That's pretty vague, so we'll see.

Side note: There's a discussion going on HERE concerning 3rd parth hosting of ASIC hardware.

I looked at that speculation, and it was more in reference to avoiding VAT than perhaps gainaing efficiency/uptime/convenience of ASIC hosting. I'm curious what the ownership structure would be - would it be akin to hosted rackspace? Would I still own my ASIC and be able to take delivery at any given point in the future? I think bitcoinASIC is planning a FAQ which will answer some of these questions, but thi is the Mining Speculation thread.
cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 08:50:23 PM

As of now I have more trust into BFL rather than BTCFPGA.
That should say a lot given my radical change of view about Tom.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 08:55:22 PM

Welcome to the dark side....
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 08:56:03 PM

Why's that? [Serious question]
I ask since my view has been shifting to an opposite effect. I've been losing faith with BFL and looking more toward bASIC instead.

The next 7 days are crucial..so hopefully someone releases some good news. It will determine which company gets my fund's order.

creativex

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:03:58 PM

Tom had distanced himself from public view to a large extent and had delegated a lot of responsibility to Dave. The post Tom made on New Years was his first in awhile, but Dave has been all over inquiries. I too would prefer to see Tom posting more often, but if he's out moving the ball down the field then I'm fine with things the way they are. I will be a whole lot less fine if there's another delay and this hosting offer is just to cushion the blow. NY isn't far from me and power is pretty cheap here, I'll babysit the hardware thanks. Smiley

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:35:26 PM

Tom had distanced himself from public view to a large extent and had delegated a lot of responsibility to Dave. The post Tom made on New Years was his first in awhile, but Dave has been all over inquiries. I too would prefer to see Tom posting more often, but if he's out moving the ball down the field then I'm fine with things the way they are. I will be a whole lot less fine if there's another delay and this hosting offer is just to cushion the blow. NY isn't far from me and power is pretty cheap here, I'll babysit the hardware thanks. Smiley

Agreed. Unless the offerings are very very good I plan on keeping my hardware myself. It is, however an interesting idea. I wish I had access to the space to setup a hosting service like Josh offers (or used to anyway).

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
Isokivi

Activity: 910

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 09:37:59 PM

Welcome to the dark side....
I trust Tom asfar as my fully reversible creditcard payment goes, had bfl accepted such I'd have money in there too.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
creativex

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:39:15 PM

Except if you'd paid BFL in June then your fully reversible credit card payment would no longer be fully reversible.

bonker

Activity: 784
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:56:48 PM

We have a pregnant goose that should be laying golden eggs in about three months. If you just send us some cash we'll post gold to you at regular intervals.
You dont have to do anything, no skill or thought required, any naive bonehead can do it. Just post some money and we'll make you rich!

No way are we keeping this gold to ourselves, because we make more money selling it to you and you make more money buying it from us... by Magic!

^^^^
Just joking by the way, I know there are some gullible folk out there that might believe me.

.Minter.                       ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                  ▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
               ▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
            ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
          ,▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄
         ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      █▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓    ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▄   ▀▓▀   ▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▄     ▄▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ╟▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▄ ▄▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
     ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
      ║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
       ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓   ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
         ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
           ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
             ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
                ▀█▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀
                     ▀▀██▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀
||

╓▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▒
▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓█▀▀▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌        ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀╜        ╙▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                      ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                       ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                        ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌         ▓▓▓▓▓          ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓⌐         ▓▓▓▓▓         ╣▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓         ▀█▀▀^         ╫▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌                      ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                     ▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓                 #▒▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌
▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
 ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
 ╙▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀
WALLET

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█
axilla

Activity: 217

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 02:23:13 PM

lol, i guess we'll all have to wait and see if they will have a goose that lays the proverbial golden egg!

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
Third Way

Activity: 238

View Profile
January 15, 2013, 04:51:47 AM

Just joking by the way, I know there are some gullible folk out there that might believe me.

I was about to send you cash...

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: