Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:25:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is unsustainable, according to Vice  (Read 4819 times)
Anddos

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 06:48:18 PM

Exactly. It's a long way until mining will end, and probably most of us won't be here to witness it. We should focus on the here and now.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:11:03 PM

IMO, the Vice doesn't actually understands how bitcoin works and how its being changed to surpass certain flaws. The Blocksize increase is bound to lower the transaction fees and this will turn BTC even more attractive
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 08:15:05 PM

No one can really predict what is going to happen to Bitcoin. I would say it is sustainable, just a bit unstable.
Anddos

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:33:29 PM

Unstable, yes. but what currency IS stable? This is a normal behavior. And seeing as how VICE is all about gossip I don't think it's the best place to get your advice for your investments.

bargainbin

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:32:47 PM

Unstable, yes. but what currency IS stable? This is a normal behavior.
You missed a few letters Smiley
unsustainable
Anddos

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 02:50:16 PM

unsustainable

I wrote exactly what I wanted. Please do check the context. Stable - unstable. Also, see the previous post to which I was responding.
But thank you for that, Grammar Nazi Man.

~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 03:02:39 PM

Bitcoin is atleast not a some sort of centralized ponzi seem like e-gold in past so bitcoin will be functioning whatever value it will have in future.

bargainbin

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 03:38:26 PM

unsustainable

I wrote exactly what I wanted. Please do check the context. Stable - unstable. Also, see the previous post to which I was responding.

Dear Friend!
The Vice article in question addresses Bitcoin's unsustainability, not how hilariously unstable it is. The word "unstable," you might be amused to know, occurs exactly 0 (zero) times in the article.
Why, you ask?
Because that's not what the article is about.

In the future, consider familiarizing yourself with such seminal economics tomes as "Go, Dog. Go!" before offering us your learned, cromulent critiques.
davinchi
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1058

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 04:51:28 PM

Unstable, yes. but what currency IS stable? This is a normal behavior. And seeing as how VICE is all about gossip I don't think it's the best place to get your advice for your investments.

There is a huge difference between unstable and unsustainable. The article says that bitcoins consume a lot of energy and electricity which is not true and miners do earn from the effort they give in with regards to the electricity they pay for.
Redrose

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 04:55:03 PM

This is a dumb article. Who really cares about the power consumption of Bitcoin ? I'm sure that Google consume more power than us. But is Google "unsustainable" ? No.
blunderer

Activity: 154

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 05:01:52 PM

This is a dumb article. Who really cares about the power consumption of Bitcoin ? I'm sure that Google consume more power than us. But is Google "unsustainable" ? No.

If Google was used by a handful of people, and expanding that userbase was improbable (because all of its data centers, combined, allowed just 3 searches per second), you'd probably have a point.
Anddos

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 09:56:47 AM

unsustainable

Dear Friend!
The Vice article in question addresses Bitcoin's unsustainability, not how hilariously unstable it is. The word "unstable," you might be amused to know, occurs exactly 0 (zero) times in the article.
Why, you ask?

In the future, consider familiarizing yourself with such seminal economics tomes as "Go, Dog. Go!" before offering us your learned, cromulent critiques.

Yes "dear friend" but as you can see "again" I was answering to the previous post put by another user, not the initial post.

bargainbin

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:16:26 AM

unsustainable

Dear Friend!
Why, you ask?

Yes "dear friend" but as you can see "again" I was answering to the previous post put by another user, not the initial post.

The post above yours is another non-sequitur-spewing signature ad spammer, like yourself. Bumping his shitty post count. Possibly your alt.
pogress

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:18:24 AM

If Google was used by a handful of people, and expanding that userbase was improbable (because all of its data centers, combined, allowed just 3 searches per second), you'd probably have a point.

Doesnt matter because only free market can decide whether something is worth the effort, in our example power consumption of Bitcoin mining. I could say cars are waste and dangerous for our planet as well, but free market sees it differently.
bargainbin

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:25:32 AM

Doesnt matter because only free market can decide whether something is worth the effort, in our example power consumption of Bitcoin mining. I could say cars are waste and dangerous for our planet as well, but free market sees it differently.

"Free market decides"? Free market decides by imposing draconian fucking regulations when shit gets bad. Price is not the only mechanism available to the invisible hand. Cars are regulated to death: emissions, safety, speed, must have license to drive -- EVERYTHING.
Nice choice of example Cheesy
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 10:50:47 AM

"Free market decides"? Free market decides by imposing draconian fucking regulations when shit gets bad. Price is not the only mechanism available to the invisible hand. Cars are regulated to death: emissions, safety, speed, must have license to drive -- EVERYTHING.
Nice choice of example Cheesy

not to mention, it's not exactly a free market the one of bitcoin, with all the manipulation going on, still more free than the crap you have with fiat
PakistanHockeyfan

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 08:01:14 AM

Well, most people have the opinion of most cryptocurrencies being rather unsustainable. It's an opinion that we should respect. We don't have to agree with it, but we surely do have to respect it.
funkenstein
Legendary

Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050

Khazad ai-menu!

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 01:57:37 AM

Well, most people have the opinion of most cryptocurrencies being rather unsustainable. It's an opinion that we should respect. We don't have to agree with it, but we surely do have to respect it.

Hmm maybe I just roll in different circles but I've never heard that opinion.  I would respect anyone stating their own opinion, just for that as it is..  but in this case..  where is that person or the "most people" you refer to?  I don't see an argument to respect here.  

"Give me control over a coin's checkpoints and I care not who mines its blocks."
http://vtscc.org  http://woodcoin.info
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2016, 12:01:45 AM

Most people have the opinion that PakistanHockeyfan does not know most people or their opinions.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: