Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:38:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to deal with 80 GB Blockchain?  (Read 3254 times)
Indianacoin (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 10:11:21 AM

We already know that we have to download Bitcoin Core wallet if we want to contribute the network by running the full node of the blockchain.

But it will be a tedious job download the full chain of size 80 GB again if there happens something wrong with one's wallet and it needs to restart a wallet from the beginning.

So is there a recent bootstrap file available anywhere so that I can keep it as a backup in case I need it whenever I start a new wallet?
Or can anyone help me out on how to create a bootstrap file myself directly from the wallet files?

Technical helps are much appreciated Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 10:18:13 AM

Are you really sure that it will start the entire wallet from the beginning in case of any issues ?I think even while running a full node it will resume from the point where it stopped the next time you start it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 10:45:57 AM

There are a few cases where you need to redownload all data, yes. They are not common though. If you want to be prepared, make regular backups of the entire folder. A bootstrap.dat would not be verified, copied the folder includes all verified data (and your wallet.dat).

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Indianacoin (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 11:15:33 AM

Are you really sure that it will start the entire wallet from the beginning in case of any issues ?I think even while running a full node it will resume from the point where it stopped the next time you start it.

Yes there are many such cases possible. Sometimes your wallet's blkindex.dat might be malfunctioning. In this case you'll have to delete all your files from your 'roaming' folder and re-index your wallet from the beginning.
Also think of a situation where your computer crashes for some other reason and you have to format or change your hard drive.

In all these cases it will be easier to have a bootstrap file ready so that you can just import the chain offline and just re-index a week's chain which wend ahead at that time. It will save your bandwidth too.

If you want to be prepared, make regular backups of the entire folder. A bootstrap.dat would not be verified, copied the folder includes all verified data (and your wallet.dat).

So far I only am backing up my wallet.dat. What do mean by the entire folder? That folder in the roaming section?
But I am talking about a single bootstrap file in general which can be created and can be used by anyone (does not need any verification as such).
boboniera

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 11:24:20 AM

Blockchain needs only the 1-2 years old transactions. All the others must delete.
Indianacoin (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 11:45:59 AM

Blockchain needs only the 1-2 years old transactions. All the others must delete.

That is not how a cryptocurrency works Roll Eyes

The block chain is the decentralized ledger where all records of transactions ever made from the beginning of genesis block are recorded in a string like fashion.

Nobody can destroy the older chains just like that! Impossible fact.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 01:58:47 PM

The block chain is the decentralized ledger where all records of transactions ever made from the beginning of genesis block are recorded in a string like fashion.

It already does, the old data is not really verified, there are hardcoded checkpoints in place, but the actual blocks are not verified. The data is not deleted true, but its as close it deletion as it gets.

-snip-
So far I only am backing up my wallet.dat. What do mean by the entire folder? That folder in the roaming section?
But I am talking about a single bootstrap file in general which can be created and can be used by anyone (does not need any verification as such).

The entire ~/.bitcoin or %APPDATA/Bitcoin folder, yes. This would not be suitable for others unless they can trust you, but I would think you can trust yourself.
If you prefer a bootstrap.dat you can create one yourself[1] as well, but you must verify the data when you resync from scratch for some reason.

[1] Note 2nd post, not 1st (!) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=986676.msg10753296#msg10753296

DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 02:13:19 PM
Last edit: January 28, 2016, 02:34:40 PM by DumbFruit

Depends on how you define "cryptocurrency". I think the only way it could be defined without excluding something that currently calls itself a cryptocurrency would be a medium of exchange that exists exclusively digitally. (In which case even fiat currency would be a "cryptocurrency" when they abolish cash, like is happening in Sweden.) I would be interested if anyone could name any other distinguishing feature of a "cryptocurrency" (Something applicable to every variation of a cryptocurrency).
In any case, there are several ways that old transactions can be deleted, including demurrage, pruning, and a "rolling blockchain".

To answer the OP, it's fastest just to download the blockchain with the Bitcoin client. After  you have the blockchain, you can keep it stored somewhere (bootstrap.dat) so you don't have to download the whole thing, the client will verify the blockchain on import and then download the rest of the blockchain from where it left off.

You can create bootstrap.dat by concatenating all of the blk*.dat files located in your Bitcoin directory. On Windows it would look like this;
copy /b blk0001.dat+blk0002.dat ...  bootstrap.dat

https://bitcoin.org/bin/block-chain/README.txt
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/10381/creating-my-own-bootstrap-dat

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 04:32:46 PM

A 128Gb USB stick is so cheap, it seems mad not to back up the Bitcoin directory. As I understand it, you don't have to backup every day. Core will verify the recovered directory, and then build on that from the public blockchain.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 07:28:11 PM

A 128Gb USB stick is so cheap, it seems mad not to back up the Bitcoin directory. As I understand it, you don't have to backup every day. Core will verify the recovered directory, and then build on that from the public blockchain.

Yes, once a week even once a month would easily be enough. With 128 GB you can even hold two backups, at least for a while.

Indianacoin (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 07:33:25 PM

Yes, once a week even once a month would easily be enough. With 128 GB you can even hold two backups, at least for a while.

Thanks for the advice but how exactly do I compile a bootstrap file? Like bootstrap.dat?

I do not want to backup the whole folder anyways.

And is it safe to upload the bootstrap.dat on a cloud?
I think yes because bootstrap does not save sensitive keys of wallet.dat inside it.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 08:53:53 PM

Thanks for the advice but how exactly do I compile a bootstrap file? Like bootstrap.dat?

I do not want to backup the whole folder anyways.

And is it safe to upload the bootstrap.dat on a cloud?
I think yes because bootstrap does not save sensitive keys of wallet.dat inside it.

This[1] should do it. I cant give you any tipps though since I never bothered to create one. I might do this to help migrating to my new server without hammering the CPU/Disk, but not today or tomorrow.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/tree/master/contrib/linearize

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6578

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 11:18:55 PM

Why download the block chain, can't we just all use online wallets  ?
Someone has to have the blockchain, we still need people to run full nodes so that the entire blockchain is available to those online wallets. And not everyone trusts web wallets. It is more likely that people will use SPV wallets as they are safer than web wallets, but SPV wallet still need people to run full nodes so that they can query information from them.

Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 05:39:56 AM

I don't trust web wallets. I'm wondering if it will be possible to run 0.12 on a mobile phone to create a pruned node using an SD card. Bandwidth deals are getting insane these days as the supermarkets compete for customers, and most phones have got WiFi and bluetooth now. I guess the problem would be loading the 80Gb blockchain prior to the pruning.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 08:06:45 AM

If everyone would use online wallets, bitcoin would in consequence be no different than paypal.

btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:11:39 AM

If everyone would use online wallets, bitcoin would in consequence be no different than paypal.

Most of the online wallets are changing address with new transactions and they dont even give signed message option if any problem comes with the wallet address associated with any account or transaction so for this i think hardware wallet is much better and safe. because it will be in full control of the user.
onlinedragon

Activity: 1036
Merit: 501

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:20:23 AM

Never there will be only online wallet users. When it's 80gb+ for the whole blockchain I really understand people don't want the full version. Light wallet is for most of the people good enough for me XAPO worked perfectly.
Jet Cash
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 08:44:12 AM

What's the big deal about an 80Gb directory. The file sizes are still fairly small, and the notebook I am using now has a 2Tb hard drive. It wasn't that expensive either. If you are on a chromebook, or a mobile, then I can see it would matter, but for a reasonable PC, I'd rather have full control of my wallet.

Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 01:22:48 AM

What's the big deal about an 80Gb directory. The file sizes are still fairly small, and the notebook I am using now has a 2Tb hard drive. It wasn't that expensive either. If you are on a chromebook, or a mobile, then I can see it would matter, but for a reasonable PC, I'd rather have full control of my wallet.

I suppose it depends on the situation.

The web hosting service I use charges $0.10 per Gb. That's $8/month, nearly $100 per year... Plus bandwidth costs...

Running a full node on my website would cost $1-200/year, and the blockchain is certainly not getting smaller
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 01:33:03 AM

I suppose it depends on the situation.

The web hosting service I use charges $0.10 per Gb. That's $8/month, nearly $100 per year... Plus bandwidth costs...

Running a full node on my website would cost $1-200/year, and the blockchain is certainly not getting smaller

Just run it in pruning mode then. If you limit it to 10 GB, then that is only $1/month.

Out of curiosity, what host are you using? (If you don't want to share, no big deal).
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: