Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:14:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-01-02 huffingtonpost.com - Silk Road Crossing: Shopping On The Internet's M  (Read 3999 times)
Akka (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 12:00:25 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2013, 02:38:49 AM by Akka

Silk Road Crossing: Shopping On The Internet's Massive Marketplace For Illegal Drugs

Surprisingly neutral article about Silk Road, single chapter about Bitcoin:

...I should try filling my wallet with Bitcoins anyway.

This turns out to be a mistake.

Bitcoins, despite being a currency built on the Internet, are nearly impossible to obtain in a timely fashion. Due to fear of chargeback fraud, most reputable Bitcoin sites won't take PayPal or credit cards, which leaves the option of bank wiring or a deposit system such as Moneygram. I decide to use Moneygram and compound my mistake. I deposit $20, am charged an additional $7 in conversion fees, and end up with $18.57 worth of Bitcoins, according to the online "wallet" where I'm storing the currency (I don't know where the extra $1.43 went). For a system that claims it should eliminate the middleman and hidden fees, Bitcoin...doesn't.

By the time I get my Bitcoin, the Calvin & Hobbes anthology is gone. I probe the Silk Road forums for other non-illegal purchases I can make with Bitcoin and find a Baklava shop and a Mexican restaurant....

Full Article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/betsy-isaacson/silk-road-illegal-drugs-online_b_2340477.html

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 12:12:03 AM

This is going to be quite off-topic.

By the time I get my Bitcoin, the Calvin & Hobbes anthology is gone.

In my entire life, I think I had never ever heard of this Calvin & Hobbes comics.  Today I heard about it twice.  The other one was in this Vsauce video, talking about the Calvin&Hobbes search engine.

How weird.

Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 12:56:26 AM

This is going to be quite off-topic.

By the time I get my Bitcoin, the Calvin & Hobbes anthology is gone.

In my entire life, I think I had never ever heard of this Calvin & Hobbes comics.  Today I heard about it twice.  The other one was in this Vsauce video, talking about the Calvin&Hobbes search engine.

How weird.

Calvin and Hobbes is great!  I actually just bought the complete anthology.  To make this slightly more on-topic, here are a few money-themed examples:

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:17:06 AM

Surprisingly neutral article about Silk Road, single chapter about Bitcoin:

Yup.  Maybe after her description about how hard bitcoins were to obtain she'll end up with a friend or coworker trying to buy them off of her.

Incidentally, Akka, to prevent confusion over how a date is displayed, the YYYY-MM-DD is the convention to use for showing date in the thread titles here in the Press forum.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:35:53 AM

Incidentally, Akka, to prevent confusion over how a date is displayed, the YYYY-MM-DD is the convention to use for showing date in the thread titles here in the Press forum.

I know that. It's not the first post I made here, but accidents happen.  Tongue

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 02:38:04 AM

It looks like the date format being used now is (YYYY-1)-MM-DD  Grin

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:39:55 AM

Damn it.

Better stop posting for today.

SwarmStream

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 03:20:47 AM

Some real special comments over there:
Well what kind of fool uses a wallet service? Cold storage, or bust. Of course you got ripped off. Also Silk Road is a horrible site, because of media types and worse, "bloggers" using it. Use any other BTC market, but for the love of god don't use Silk Road.
Silk Road is still active? I haven't used them in 5 years.

Her words about DPR and the civility of the Silk Road community were great to read in an article about the "Deep Web".
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 04:19:44 AM

Silk Road is still active? I haven't used them in 5 years.

that one's probably true
Roger_Murdock

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:24:53 PM

Bitcoins, despite being a currency built on the Internet, are nearly impossible to obtain in a timely fashion. Due to fear of chargeback fraud, most reputable Bitcoin sites won't take PayPal or credit cards, which leaves the option of bank wiring or a deposit system such as Moneygram. I decide to use Moneygram and compound my mistake. I deposit $20, am charged an additional $7 in conversion fees, and end up with $18.57 worth of Bitcoins, according to the online "wallet" where I'm storing the currency (I don't know where the extra $1.43 went). For a system that claims it should eliminate the middleman and hidden fees, Bitcoin...doesn't.

This is like complaining about the crappy gas mileage you get on the drive to the car dealership to trade in your gas guzzler for a Prius (and, based on the exchange method she chose, picking a dealership that's about 3,000 miles out of the way). And then concluding with: "For a car that claims it should reduce the money you spend on gas, the Prius ... doesn't." For God's sake, she just spent $7 to send a $20 Moneygram! That experience should have driven home why Bitcoin is so revolutionary. But instead it somehow means that Bitcoin isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's actually kind of surreal.  It's like most people are too close to the legacy monetary system to even see it. 

Despite my disinterest in drugs and the absurdity of all websites that facilitate illegal transactions....

The only thing that's "absurd" about the Silk Road is the drug war that made it necessary. Using state violence in a largely-futile effort to control what adults choose to put into their own bodies and consciousness - THAT'S absurd.  A website that enables people to engage in voluntary exchange without becoming victims of that violence - that's beautiful.   
BitLucky

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:56:01 PM

This is like complaining about the crappy gas mileage you get on the drive to the car dealership to trade in your gas guzzler for a Prius (and, based on the exchange method she chose, picking a dealership that's about 3,000 miles out of the way). And then concluding with: "For a car that claims it should reduce the money you spend on gas, the Prius ... doesn't." For God's sake, she just spent $7 to send a $20 Moneygram! That experience should have driven home why Bitcoin is so revolutionary. But instead it somehow means that Bitcoin isn't all it's cracked up to be. It's actually kind of surreal.  It's like most people are too close to the legacy monetary system to even see it. 

Despite my disinterest in drugs and the absurdity of all websites that facilitate illegal transactions....

The only thing that's "absurd" about the Silk Road is the drug war that made it necessary. Using state violence in a largely-futile effort to control what adults choose to put into their own bodies and consciousness - THAT'S absurd.  A website that enables people to engage in voluntary exchange without becoming victims of that violence - that's beautiful.   

QFT
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 10:02:34 PM

In my entire life, I think I had never ever heard of this Calvin & Hobbes comics.

Me neither  Grin
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 12:05:50 AM

In my entire life, I think I had never ever heard of this Calvin & Hobbes comics.

Me neither  Grin

Isn't that Calvin in you Avatar?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 12:08:34 AM

Me neither  Grin

Uh no it's spaceman spiff.
Akka (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 12:13:48 AM

Me neither  Grin

But...

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 08:18:49 AM

Me neither  Grin

But...

Darnit, my secret identity is revealed !  Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: