Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:42:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible to specify a different location for bootstrap.dat  (Read 995 times)
mackminer (OP)

Activity: 348
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 02:24:00 PM

I want to use an external drive because my ssd has limited space.

Thanks.

1BFf3Whvj118A5akc5fHhfLLwxYduMmq1d

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 02:31:44 PM

Thanks.

the bootstrap.dat goes in the -datadir= folder. With newer version using the bootstrap.dat is only useful under certain conditions, if you have not yet downloaded it, you can just skip it.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DumbFruit

Activity: 433
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 02:47:10 PM

I think starting with Windows Vista, you can use MKLink to create junctions to different directories, while giving the appearance that the directory is in the same local directory. So you could use this to move your Bitcoin blockchain pretty much wherever you want.

mklink /j [Directory1] [Directory2]

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278262-mklink-create-use-links-windows.html

You can also change the data directory via a command line switch when starting your Bitcoin client. The same thing can also be specified in your bitcoin.conf file.

-datadir=<dir>

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin#Sample_Bitcoin.conf

By their (dumb) fruits shall ye know them indeed...
mackminer (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:10:59 PM

even when I do specify -datadir it doesn't load the bootstrap file...

mackminer (OP)

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:12:06 PM

Thanks.

the bootstrap.dat goes in the -datadir= folder. With newer version using the bootstrap.dat is only useful under certain conditions, if you have not yet downloaded it, you can just skip it.

Can you clarify what you mean? I'm using the most current client bitcoin-qt 32bit and on opening it's showing 6 years behind.....

Christ I can't believe bitcoin has been around that long now....

DumbFruit

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:29:52 PM

Ok, I ran BitcoinQT to make sure I wasn't telling you a bunch of crap and it's working fine for me. I installed BitcoinQT in the default directory and then I did the following two commands after making a folder called "My Path" in the root directory;

C:\Users\UserName>cd C:\Program Files\Bitcoin

C:\Program Files\Bitcoin>bitcoin-qt.exe -datadir="C:/My Path"

Be sure to put the bootstrap.dat file under the "blocks" folder in your data directory. So from my example it would be "C:/My Path/blocks/bootstrap.dat"

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 03:42:37 PM

Thanks.

Can you clarify what you mean? I'm using the most current client bitcoin-qt 32bit and on opening it's showing 6 years behind.....

What he means is that bootstrap.dat has not been useful since bitcoin 0.10.x and up due to headers first sync.  Consequently, it is often in fact slower to use the .dat file compared to just connecting to the bitcoin network.

DumbFruit

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 06:12:36 PM

Thanks.

What he means is that bootstrap.dat has not been useful since bitcoin 0.10.x and up due to headers first sync.  Consequently, it is often in fact slower to use the .dat file compared to just connecting to the bitcoin network.
From what I read it's faster to just download with the client than to download the bootstrap.dat separately, but surely it's faster to use bootstrap.dat if you already have it, right? Maybe I'll give it a try later and see how it goes.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
January 28, 2016, 06:18:29 PM

even when I do specify -datadir it doesn't load the bootstrap file...

Check the debug.log IIRC there is no "Im using the file you gave me" message in the GUI. To your other question: what cr1776 said.

-snip-
From what I read it's faster to just download with the client than to download the bootstrap.dat separately, but surely it's faster to use bootstrap.dat if you already have it, right? Maybe I'll give it a try later and see how it goes.

Depends on the systems bottleneck, but it shouldnt be slower if you already have it.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 06:34:11 PM

Thanks.

What he means is that bootstrap.dat has not been useful since bitcoin 0.10.x and up due to headers first sync.  Consequently, it is often in fact slower to use the .dat file compared to just connecting to the bitcoin network.

Maybe, it could be just about the same if the bottleneck is your CPU or memory.  :-)

kevin08

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 11:42:15 PM

Thanks.

What he means is that bootstrap.dat has not been useful since bitcoin 0.10.x and up due to headers first sync.  Consequently, it is often in fact slower to use the .dat file compared to just connecting to the bitcoin network.

Maybe, it could be just about the same if the bottleneck is your CPU or memory.  :-)

If you are on a metered connection the savings in the cost of bandwidth might make using a bootstrap.dat downloaded elsewhere preferable. Downloading a bootstrap.dat on a free connection at work or elsewhere could be the only viable option for those with limited bandwidth at home.
cr1776
Legendary

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:34:53 AM

Thanks.

If you are on a metered connection the savings in the cost of bandwidth might make using a bootstrap.dat downloaded elsewhere preferable. Downloading a bootstrap.dat on a free connection at work or elsewhere could be the only viable option for those with limited bandwidth at home.

Good point.  For this use case, that is one option. 
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12968

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:45:39 AM

I think starting with Windows Vista, you can use MKLink to create junctions to different directories, while giving the appearance that the directory is in the same local directory. So you could use this to move your Bitcoin blockchain pretty much wherever you want.

mklink /j [Directory1] [Directory2]

Right. The location pointed-to by -datadir should always really contain your wallet-related files (wallet.dat, db.log, database directory, .lock) but in my experience it's totally fine to replace any of the other files/directories with symlinks.

I don't know whether mklink /j will create the right type of link, though. Isn't that for directories?

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 03:21:37 AM

To answer the subject, yes, it is possible to specify a different location for bootstrap.dat by using a full path with this command line option:

bitcoin -loadblock=(filename)
Imports blocks from external blk000??.dat formatted files on startup

Any file that has blocks stored in the original bitcoin format will work. 2GB or 128MB blocks from the bitcoin data directory or the torrent dat. Blocks that have already been imported will be skipped.

Multiple files can be imported in one command as long as they contain continuous chronological blocks:

bitcoin -loadblock=blk00000.dat -loadblock=blk00001.dat -loadblock=blk00002.dat
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: