Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 10:48:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: so why haven't the government taken notice...or have they?  (Read 723 times)
pringesgood (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 04:42:07 AM

so if Bitcoin is soooo revolutionary, why isn't it mainstream? and why isn't the government taking action?

please allow me to answer my own questions and would you please comment on my analysis...:

1) its new, trust takes time, diffusion takes time, slowly but steadily climbing towards critical mass

2) its not obvious and technically complicated, requires trusted individuals to explain and spread understanding

3) its new, first of its kind?, no history or any reference, requires entrepreneurial individuals to test and discover for themselves the validity of such system

4) government IS monitoring, but scale of project is deemed minuscule, non-threatening, and allows project to 'work itself out'

uh ... what else? please add your thoughts.
MooC Tals

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 04:54:56 AM

1) they first ignore you
2) they mock you
3) they attack you
4) they co-opt you
5) they win.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 05:44:59 AM

The governments of western countries are mostly made up of old white men who can't even operate a modern mobile phone easily.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3045

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 06:00:37 AM

Various governments have taken notice. Bitcoin has been mentioned in reports by the FBI, the ECB (European Central Bank) and AUSTRAC (Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre). But why would they take action? More importantly, what action is there for them to take? Any attempt to stop Bitcoin is doomed to failure, and Bitcoin isn't even illegal in any case, so why would they even bother trying?

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 01:28:23 PM

It is also starting to get more legal recognition into the existing banking ecosystem - which is always interesting for the future. For example https://bitcoin-central.net/s/aqoba-partnership

AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:33:50 PM

...and Bitcoin isn't even illegal in any case, so why would they even bother trying?

True, There are lots of other currencies currently in use in the US other than the US dollar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_community_currencies_in_the_United_States

There is nothing saying we HAVE to use USD to purchase goods/services, it just so happens to be the most common here.

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:37:48 PM

so if Bitcoin is soooo revolutionary, why isn't it mainstream? and why isn't the government taking action?

please allow me to answer my own questions and would you please comment on my analysis...:

1) its new, trust takes time, diffusion takes time, slowly but steadily climbing towards critical mass

2) its not obvious and technically complicated, requires trusted individuals to explain and spread understanding

3) its new, first of its kind?, no history or any reference, requires entrepreneurial individuals to test and discover for themselves the validity of such system

4) government IS monitoring, but scale of project is deemed minuscule, non-threatening, and allows project to 'work itself out'

uh ... what else? please add your thoughts.

1.) Yes - most people won't adopt something until they see it on TV

2.) Yes - but it doesn't take much research to figure out how to use bitcoin

3.) Yes - the vast majority of people in mainstream society still have no idea that bitcoin exists (believe it or not), so as bitcoin gets more and more coverage the popularity will continue to grow

4.) BTC is impossible to tax and therefore governments are probably trying to work out how they can tax it behind closed doors (possibly expect cryptocurrency copycats that include full personal identifying information and tracking to be introduced sometime in the future) - they do not want to make it illegal as this would get bitcoin all over the TV and newspapers for months and ironically bitcoin use would then most likely skyrocket  Cool Also it is impossible to make it illegal in a practical sense (much like p2p file sharing). It is the future
Tesla71

Activity: 302
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:39:11 PM

I think also the amount of money, all BTC are standing for is not enough that Governments would care about it.
Maybee that would change in future ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:40:38 PM

I have always believed that Bitcoin (like other revolutionary tech internet, cellphones, electricity, analog telephone, social media, etc) is on a 10 to 20 year path towards mainstream adoption.  I said that two years ago and some people thought I was insane.  They thought (or claimed to think Smiley ) that Bitcoin would be bigger than PayPal and the exchange rate north of $100 by now.  

Bitcoin is very revolutionary in lots of different ways and that slows adoption.
a) It is decentralizing a concept most people assume "MUST" be centralized.  It takes a while before someone realizes that "money" can be decentralized.

b) It is complicated.  Without at least a basic understanding of cryptography (abstract) it is impossible to describe how Bitcoin works.  So either people need to believe in it based no pure faith or spend a couple hours (or weeks) educating themselves.  For most people it is easier to just take the faith route but that takes longer.  If Bitcoin is still around in 20 years and still acting a store of value most people will never understand exactly how it works they will just accept that it does.

c) It puts 100% of responsibility on the user.  Every other system gives users the ability to unload responsibility onto others.  This is likely why we saw so many things like mybitcoin and pirate nonsense.  People are use to the escape hatch and there isn't one in Bitcoin.  This means mainstream adoption will require both advanced hardware wallets (i.e. formatting hard drive and not losing $100,000 because you have no backup) and a change in culture (i.e. not giving $5M to a guy named "Pirate" who offers Ponzi like interest rates but promises without any proof that it isn't a ponzi) to protect users from themselves.

d) Bitcoin is so new it is hard to quantity.  For example FinCEN hasn't declared Bitcoin money or even made a definitive ruling that it is a "money substitute".  Obviously that is the very FIRST step.  You need to define something before you can start to regulate it.  You can't regulate the nebulous.  For example there are no laws about "meaness".  There may be laws about stalking or cyber bullying but not something as vague as "being mean".  FinCEN hasn't even gotten that far yet simply because Bitcoin is so radically different it doesn't fit into any of the nice boxes the government has already created.  When new products and services come out the government usually looks to figure out which box is the closest fit.  Is this a "security", a "commodity", "stored value" (now called prepaid access), a "foreign currency".  Bitcoin is similar to all of those but doesn't fit into any of those boxes.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:43:44 PM

Various governments have taken notice. Bitcoin has been mentioned in reports by the FBI, the ECB (European Central Bank) and AUSTRAC (Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre). But why would they take action? More importantly, what action is there for them to take? Any attempt to stop Bitcoin is doomed to failure, and Bitcoin isn't even illegal in any case, so why would they even bother trying?

Nice collection of links. Still I think governments will try they are just slow to react.  Governments are better at putting things into boxes then they are at creating a new box.  Hey what is this new ETF thing gaining popularity? Well it looks like a stock so lets put it into the "securities box".    What is this new "PayPal" thing?  Well it looks like an online Western Union so lets put it into the money transmitter box.  Hey what is this "Bitcoin thing"? Huh  blank looks.  um it doesn't fit in any of our boxes (and we have about 20,000 boxes).  Lets pretend it doesn't exist for a while, while we figure it out.

Sadly "doomed to failure" hasn't stopped governments in the past.  Any "war on a noun" is likely doomed to failure ("war on drugs", "war on terror", "war on poverty") but it hasn't prevented govts around the world from flushing trillions upon trillions in futile attempts for decades.  I mean obviously in the US marijuana should be legal.  Even people who don't intend to use it understand that now.  Spend trillions (you can't afford) fighting the impossible   or tax, regulate, and monitor it?  A no brainer but even this no brainer likely will take another 6-10 years to happen.
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:04:46 PM

Personally, I'm fascinated to see the response from the powers that be when the bitcoin economy has become massive and every man and his dog knows about it. Whatever happens, bitcoin is designed to be pretty much indestructible (much like the Internet itself) so the government response doesn't really worry me too much, and I am very excited to be involved in these early days of this revolutionary technology  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: