Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 07:53:06 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building the largest Virtual Domino Computer (VDC) as an educational device.  (Read 233 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
January 28, 2016, 10:38:38 PM

Inspired by The 10,000 Domino Computer:

Paraphrased (at the video's end): "Yes, you can build an entire computer out of dominoes... but you probably don't want to."

Upon hearing that, I immediately thought, "Yes, I want to!" Moreover, not [necessarily] I, but by those still in school struggling to learn about computers (among others) who may perhaps learn more betterer if the learning process were presented visually as a game of sorts.

Picture, if you will, the entire VDC built by only non-college-attending students, i.e. by grades 1-12 (or equivalent to the US system) students, but the end-cum-ongoing results are enjoyed by folks of all ages and of all lands regardless which language they speak.

Granted, the built will be accomplished predominately by the brighter students, but the "brighter students" universe would comprise of a much higher percentage of students due to eliciting a stronger interest from those normally less excited about computer courses because, perhaps, of the preconceived notion that the shit is hard and not fun. Make it "fun" and "hard" is tossed out the window like when some took up riding bicycles on handrails. Now, that shit's hard!

I further envision such an accredited class only having a teacher present but not teaching, where the entire course is taught by students' peers worldwide not necessarily in the same grades. The teacher is just present to make sure there's order in the class and to help out in any capacity NOT related to the building of th VDC. By observation of the students and reading their inputs of the VDC project, the teacher would be able to grade the students accordingly, with none receiving a failing grade if they put in any efforts at all on at least a daily basis.

Oh, and the first image eventually ever produced by a VDC has to be that of a cat, as if you didn't see that coming... like a stealthy cat.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: