Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 01:29:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How secure is the future?  (Read 691 times)
Tesla71 (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 01:46:28 PM

I was wondering with the momentary increase in calculation power (asic's) wouldnt it be possible in the future to guess private keys out of the public keys in the blockchain?
So that one could look for an adress wich possibly has an high amount of coins and try to brute-force a wallet with that coins "in" it?

Think someone could tell me why that is impossible..

btchip

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

CTO, Ledger

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2013, 02:07:22 PM

I'd not say impossible, but given the current attacks and key sizes, ECC 256 signatures are considered safe for the next 20 years.

Now let's assume there's a sudden mathematical breakthrough that allows people to reverse ECDSA, RSA, and other friends based on modular arithmetic - first, you'll have bigger issues to solve (banking cards and biometric passports use similar algorithms Grin), moreover bitcoin is a more difficult target as you could likely issue new keys faster than the attacker can break them.

BlackBison

Activity: 250
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:15:17 PM

Mining has nothing to do with the private key encryption, they use a different algorithm. Even if another ASIC was designed that could be used to brute force private keys it would only give say 1000x the efficiency max. Which is basically meaningless as the keyspace numbers are so astronomical we are talking a reduction down to billions of years instead of trillions of years.

The only danger is a flaw in ECDSA etc which has been pointed out.

Tesla71 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 02:51:38 PM

OK, understand.
Another thing that bothers me is what would happen if some countries are disconnected from the internet or the connections between europe and usa will be down for some hours?
what would happen to the transactions and mined blocks on both sides if the connection is reestablished?
As far as I understood, because there is no centralization, the network would continue to function like normal (in case of enough hashing power on the "disconnected" site)?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:02:43 PM

OK, understand.
Another thing that bothers me is what would happen if some countries are disconnected from the internet or the connections between europe and usa will be down for some hours?
what would happen to the transactions and mined blocks on both sides if the connection is reestablished?
As far as I understood, because there is no centralization, the network would continue to function like normal (in case of enough hashing power on the "disconnected" site)?

If a geographical area becomes isolated, they will begin mining their own blocks separate from the rest of the world.  The world won't know about their blocks and they won't know about the world's blocks.  When the reconnection occurs several hours later the area with the shorter blockchain will be have their blockchain overwritten by the area that has the longer blockchain.  This means that the area with the shorter blockchain will suddenly lose all the confirmations that they accomplished on their own.  All those transactions that occurred while they were isolated will then propagate to the rest of the world and they will begin gaining confirmations again.
Tesla71 (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:10:43 PM

All those transactions that occurred while they were isolated will then propagate to the rest of the world and they will begin gaining confirmations again.

So that means only the confirmations are lost, not the transactions themself? So where are the informations of that transactions stored if not in the shorter blockchain?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:11:24 PM

. . .try to brute-force a wallet with that coins "in" it?

Think someone could tell me why that is impossible..
Private keys will not be brute-forcible regardless of how fast computers ever become unless a mathematical weakness is first found in the ECDSA algorithm used.  So long as the algorithm isn't broken, from what I've read it would require more energy to brute force private keys than the sun will provide during the entire rest of it's existence.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: