Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:36:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy new year and still no ASICs!  (Read 1903 times)
norulezapply (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:47:42 PM

Happy new year and still no ASICs!

Ho Ho Ho!

Grin
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:59:00 PM

You're incorrect. ASICMINER has a fully functional space station ASIC chip.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 04:01:34 PM

BTCFPGA also claims to have a functioning chip at this time and Avalon must either have them or be very close if they expect to meet their countdown date.

fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 01:21:00 AM

BTCFPGA also claims to have a functioning chip at this time and Avalon must either have them or be very close if they expect to meet their countdown date.

I have a chip also. Called a gpu. Custom designed by my company. U might have heard of them. Ati. Yeaaa bitches and it is mining right now.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:17:52 PM

I have a chip also. Called a gpu. Custom designed by my company. U might have heard of them. Ati. Yeaaa bitches and it is mining right now.

Sounds like a gpu to me, not an ASIC.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 06:34:44 PM

It's an ASIC for Graphics Processing.

One might argue that it's being used for a purpose outside of its Specified Application.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
abeaulieu

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:58:22 AM

It's an ASIC for Graphics Processing.

One might argue that it's being used for a purpose outside of its Specified Application.

A processor of any type (CPU/GPU) is hardly an application specific chip. Processors are meant to handle data of different types and manipulate it in a multitude of ways.

I suppose you can make that argument though, because there really is no hard limit to what ICs are "Application Specific."
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4172
Merit: 8421

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 04:31:52 AM

A processor of any type (CPU/GPU) is hardly an application specific chip. Processors are meant to handle data of different types and manipulate it in a multitude of ways.
I suppose you can make that argument though, because there really is no hard limit to what ICs are "Application Specific."
It's a term of art. "not being a stack of identical non-differentied transistors" means its an ASIC. Nothing fancier than that.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 04:27:55 PM

It is an ASIC, disassemble the ATOM Bios of AMD cards and the initialization function is ASIC_Init.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 08:19:56 PM

It is an ASIC, disassemble the ATOM Bios of AMD cards and the initialization function is ASIC_Init.

Some people seem retarded, GPU if an ASIC but not specific for mining bitcoin and this forum section called Custom hardware.
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 11:39:02 PM

Some people seem retarded, GPU if an ASIC but not specific for mining bitcoin and this forum section called Custom hardware.

Custom hardware that mines at the moment are gpu,s
Custom hardware called ASIC doesn,t even excists .. I wonder who the retard is..

COINDER
COINDER
abeaulieu

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 01:42:58 AM

Custom hardware that mines at the moment are gpu,s
Custom hardware called ASIC doesn,t even excists .. I wonder who the retard is..

No, gpu's are COTS products that are running mining software that is built around the devices. And your broken english really does not help you here.
witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:08:38 AM

I can't tell if you realize he's trolling, and you're trolling back, or not...

I stopped reading everything posted on these forums sometime around mid December. I figured there wouldn't be any ASICs coming from anyone after BFLs delay again (doesn't seem like they'll be first now), so I just stopped caring. Eventually I'll get my stuff in the mail, and when it comes, it'll be a surprise! That's my new year's resolution.
MinorMiner

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:40:25 AM

I stopped reading everything posted on these forums sometime around mid December. I figured there wouldn't be any ASICs coming from anyone after BFLs delay again (doesn't seem like they'll be first now), so I just stopped caring. Eventually I'll get my stuff in the mail, and when it comes, it'll be a surprise! That's my new year's resolution.

Me too.. came by to see if anything had changed. Nope

New Year, Same Sh*t

All contributions gratefully received 1G6Wia22Jnpz2DUisA5EoAC6KJ7MHm6QyP
aTg
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:58:32 AM

Me too.. came by to see if anything had changed. Nope

New Year, Same Sh*t

I'm not talking about bfl asics or was just a clarification on the meaning of asics for mining.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: