Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:06:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bank of Japan institutes negative interest rates  (Read 2391 times)
hector3115 (OP)

Activity: 481
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 04:26:02 AM

This is why I got into bitcoin.  Coming to the US soon too.  I'll never pay a bank to hold my money.

BUY CRYPTO AT REASONABLE RATES
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀ ▀█████▄
██████ ▄█▄ ██████
██████ █████ ██████
█████ ▄ ███ ▄ █████
████▌▐██ █ ██▌▐████
███▄ ▀▀▌ ▐▀▀ ▄███
▀████▄▄ ▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀█▀█████▄
████        ▀████
███████  ███  █████
███████      ▀█████
███████  ███  █████
████        ▄████
▀█████▄█▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀█████▄
██████   ▐███████
██████▌   ▀▀███████
█████▀    ▄████████
████▄    ▀▀▀▀▀▀████
███▌         ▄███
▀█████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
&OTHER
COINS
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SFR10
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 3417

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 07:24:12 AM

This is shocking news. Base on what they said, their doing this to hit the 2% inflation target in which it has been at 0.5% at the moment but isn't this a wrong move? IIRC inflation devalues the money and shows a weak economy and their trying to increase inflation instead of decreasing it? Have I missed something here? Although this would be a good opportunity for more market user of BTCitcoin.

Link to news: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/29/bank-of-japan-shocks-markets-by-adopting-negative-interest-rates
Link to live news: http://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2016/jan/29/volatile-trading-bank-japan-negative-rates-live

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
xhomerx10
Legendary

Activity: 3836
Merit: 7992

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:33:17 AM

It's not so shocking.   This has been the norm in Japan for the last 20 years.  I'm sure they have had negative interest rates already within that period.   Negative interest rates will cause corporations who currently hold cash balances to invest in something and help to spur the economy.
abs350

Activity: 481
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 07:35:39 AM

This is coming soon to the west.

No coincidence that we saw the selling end in bitcoin and a new rally start just afer this was announced.

Now that Hearn is finished we are going to have an insane rally past 500.  Once the west follows Japan BTC will easily go past $1,000

Good times ahead

DIAGON  e S p o r t s       Global decentralize eSports ecosystem
JAP CN SPN RU   WHITEPAPER  ]   ICO ❱ ❱  Nov. 12 th
facebook    TWITTER    reddit     ────   (   B U Y   )   ────
MbccompanyX

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:39:06 AM

Somehow i see it on positive because putting a negative interest rate causes that people have to move the money into something where they can actually earn something and not keeping them into the bank for who knows how many days, even if at the end some worries about are normal, because it depends on each single case and not on general

NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:41:26 AM

Does this also count for general people or only for large instututions and corporations?

I don't think it is wise to charge people for having some reserves for harsh times, you may see a lot of people run into trouble if they do unwise investments in the future.
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 07:47:47 AM

It's not so shocking.   This has been the norm in Japan for the last 20 years.  I'm sure they have had negative interest rates already within that period.   Negative interest rates will cause corporations who currently hold cash balances to invest in something and help to spur the economy.

While it may spur big corporations into moving the economy, this would likely hurt the ordinary consumers if this continues. Aside from the 0.1% fee that they'll take, the impending inflation that they want to have is bad for stagnant money.

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:56:21 AM

But the bitcoin is not accepted or known by them,and hasn't been seen as a way to store value yet. Ppl would be struggling to find alternative investment to keep their saving from being rigged.

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

2local
Sustainability and Prosperity.
Pre sale is going on
...J O I N...
...Whitepaper...
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌

I   E   O IN Livecoin.net  Probit  P2pPb2b from 11/02/2020
2local Sale
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 09:09:26 AM

It is bad. The rich just buy blocks of flats and leave them empty, or buy mega-expensive art treasures, or gold. The pension funds can't cover their costs, so they invest in crap derivatives, or other high risk financial implements. This hits pensioners and the lower and middle classes. It's part of government policies to transfer wealth into a very few hands.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
~Bitcoin~
Legendary

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:21:00 AM

This is why I got into bitcoin.  Coming to the US soon too.  I'll never pay a bank to hold my money.
Negative interest, never heard about like this thing before. Its better to put money in vault rather than paying banks to hold money.

This sound like paying bank to guard our money. LOL

thesonandheir

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 09:39:48 AM

NIRP will be coming everywhere soon, EU and Japan have it now and the ZIRP policies of the UK and the US will soon go NIRP when the economy falters.

This will also be teamed with a ban on cash so no one can escape, i.e. you have to spend your money or face it being whittled away in the bank. Stuff like Apple Pay and contactless credit cards is just the beginning.

NIRP - Negative Interest Rate Policy
ZIRP - Zero Interest Rate Policy
poncom

Activity: 318
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 12:34:46 PM

Does this also count for general people or only for large instututions and corporations?

I don't think it is wise to charge people for having some reserves for harsh times, you may see a lot of people run into trouble if they do unwise investments in the future.

It doesn't count for general people. Only commercial banks will be affected by getting charged -0.1% by the central bank for some deposits, ordinary people won't be charged anything to make deposits. Its not a new thing, its already been done before by Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland and the European Central Bank.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:02:06 PM

Negative interest, never heard about like this thing before. Its better to put money in vault rather than paying banks to hold money.

I think this is an idea that will become more commonplace in the future. It's the reason some economists are advocating banning cash too. Sweden and Switzerland have also experimented with it.

A Swiss pension manager figured out it would be cheaper to remove his client funds in cash and pay for it to be guarded elsewhere. When the time came to remove the money from the banks he was forbidden from doing so.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-04-25/war-cash-migrates-switzerland
TReano

Activity: 448
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 01:21:31 PM

lol, bitcoin can lose 10% of its value in one day easy.

Why would you say it's smarter to have a highly speculative asset instead of a currency which is used in your country.

Sushi will cost the same in Japan today as it cost last month. As will all the other daily stay at the same price level. Devaluation a currency doesn't automatically reduce your buying power because the inflation is still very low in Japan as a fact.

Maybe it will be a bit more expensive in the future to buy a German car in Japan, but on the other hand Japanese Cars will be cheaper in other countries aka. push their export a bit more.

I know Japan is doing this for 20 years without significant success. But on the other hand it is what keeps the country running for 20 years.
But the Inflation everybody is talking about when referring to Bitcoin is really not the problem in our economy system.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 03:31:55 PM

because bitcoin is not based on interest, this mean that you're not actually losing anything if you don't sell with banks instead they are basically stealing your money if you leave those there in their account

with bitcoin you only lose if bitcoin go to zero, much more probable that your bank go bankrupt, if you ask me
TReano

Activity: 448
Merit: 256

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 04:34:48 PM

because bitcoin is not based on interest, this mean that you're not actually losing anything if you don't sell with banks instead they are basically stealing your money if you leave those there in their account

with bitcoin you only lose if bitcoin go to zero, much more probable that your bank go bankrupt, if you ask me

nobody will safe bitcoin if it fails while Banks will always be safed.
thesonandheir

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 05:54:53 PM

Not true look at Cyprus.
thesonandheir

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 05:59:26 PM

Japan has gone NIRP - basically they have devalued their currency to help exports in a bid to get growth.

China is struggling at the minute, they really need to devalue their currency to compete and this news might temp them to go for it next month. The Chinese people (1bn+) are looking at having some of the value of their savings wiped out by the central banksters. If you knew your country was going to devalue the currency would you try to take steps to protect your wealth?

Can you imagine if even a small portion of Chinese people start to buy BTC?
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:57:14 PM

Can you imagine if even a small portion of Chinese people start to buy BTC?

This space intentionally left blank.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 06:59:12 PM

there are plenty of example of banks and whole goverment that failed miserably, cyprus is not the only example, there is greece too, and i'm sure there are many others
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: