Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:54:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Distributed Bitcoin Exchange  (Read 1252 times)
Whynot8282 (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:22:41 AM

Hi there

I heard most bitcoin exchanges distribute or separate their servers due to attacks.

- Is it very hard to apply?
- Does it mean, in AWS, there are more than one ec2?
- An exchange consists of several parts, and the program runs when all get together. What is the concept of it?

"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 29, 2016, 12:35:45 PM

Hi there

I heard most bitcoin exchanges distribute or separate their servers due to attacks.

- An exchange consists of several parts, and the program runs when all get together. What is the concept of it?

It is called load balancing, and most large websites that generate a lot of traffic do load balancing so they don't crash their servers. How it usually works is that they have multiple servers that can serve the same webpage. Those servers are connected to other servers with the shared database so that the data you receive is the same but the server fielding your request is not.

Moloch

Activity: 798
Merit: 722

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 02:17:21 AM

With regards to cryptocurrencies, it is also a good idea to segregate the wallets from each other.

Cryptsy lost millions of dollars because of a "virus" in one wallet.  If the wallets were each run in a separate ec2 instance, this could have been prevented
Whynot8282 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 08:02:40 PM

Hi there

It is called load balancing, and most large websites that generate a lot of traffic do load balancing so they don't crash their servers. How it usually works is that they have multiple servers that can serve the same webpage. Those servers are connected to other servers with the shared database so that the data you receive is the same but the server fielding your request is not.

What is the difference btw load balancing and distributed server? I think load balancing is related to network traffic and distributed server is about separation of each program that runs an exchange.

In AWS, they provide Elastic Load Balance which is one of productions. 
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 08:15:32 PM

What is the difference btw load balancing and distributed server? I think load balancing is related to network traffic and distributed server is about separation of each program that runs an exchange.

What is distributed server?

What and how many programs does an exchange need to run? Exchanges are like other large websites, they only need a few programs: webserver software and database software. There aren't tons of different software that run websites. They only need multiple servers for load balancing so that their servers don't go down when there is too much load.

Whynot8282 (OP)

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:23:56 PM

What is distributed server?

What and how many programs does an exchange need to run? Exchanges are like other large websites, they only need a few programs: webserver software and database software. There aren't tons of different software that run websites. They only need multiple servers for load balancing so that their servers don't go down when there is too much load.

The exchange is like others. As far as I understand (I am trying to get to know about it exactly)

- Load balancing : to distribute traffic
- Distributed server : to distribute each program such as mysql and bitcoind to servers to prevent the whole exchange from attacks.
For example, normally the whole exchange is installed in one server. In the distributed server, mysql is installed in one server(ec2) and bitcoind is installed in another server(ec2). When there is an attack the target is only one server (where mysql or bitcoind) the hacker can't take all information but only take data on the targeted server. Am I misunderstanding the concept?

And also if my understanding is wrong what is the difference between load balancing and ddos protection by Cloudflare?

Many thanks for your advice!     
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 09:48:05 PM

The exchange is like others. As far as I understand (I am trying to get to know about it exactly)

- Distributed server : to distribute each program such as mysql and bitcoind to servers to prevent the whole exchange from attacks.
For example, normally the whole exchange is installed in one server. In the distributed server, mysql is installed in one server(ec2) and bitcoind is installed in another server(ec2). When there is an attack the target is only one server (where mysql or bitcoind) the hacker can't take all information but only take data on the targeted server. Am I misunderstanding the concept?
I guess you could call it that, but I have never heard the term "distributed server" in the context of websites. I have only heard it used for distributed computing which is completely different.

I suppose you could do that, but there is no "standard" way to set up an exchange like that. Ideally the servers would be behind a firewall and be completely internal so they would not be able to be accessed from outside. That prevents attacks against those internal servers where stuff actually matters.

And also if my understanding is wrong what is the difference between load balancing and ddos protection by Cloudflare?

Those are two completely different things. Load balancing is to spread the load across multiple servers, ddos protection is a reverse proxy. Instead of your server taking the load of a ddos attack, the reverse proxy server does and it has the necessary setup to deal with such an attack. Reverse proxies also have the benefit of hiding the real ip address of a server.

Whynot8282 (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:59:53 AM

I guess you could call it that, but I have never heard the term "distributed server" in the context of websites. I have only heard it used for distributed computing which is completely different.

I suppose you could do that, but there is no "standard" way to set up an exchange like that. Ideally the servers would be behind a firewall and be completely internal so they would not be able to be accessed from outside. That prevents attacks against those internal servers where stuff actually matters.

Those are two completely different things. Load balancing is to spread the load across multiple servers, ddos protection is a reverse proxy. Instead of your server taking the load of a ddos attack, the reverse proxy server does and it has the necessary setup to deal with such an attack. Reverse proxies also have the benefit of hiding the real ip address of a server.

Do you think 'load balancing' and 'ddos protection' are enough to run exchanges? 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: