Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:21:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is the recovery key one factor access to 2FA or multisig?  (Read 842 times)
gotpetum (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2016, 08:51:48 PM

I didn't see it, but if this has already been answered somewhere, I'd be grateful for the link.

I'd like to use electrum 2FA + trustedcoin for a 2-of-3 cool wallet.

The suggestion at http://docs.electrum.org/en/latest/2fa.html says that I can recover my wallet without trustedcoin, all by myself, with just the seed. That doesn't seem like 2FA to me! (The instructions for multisig seem similar.)

I think the way to avoid the my-backup-bypasses-all-my-2fa problem is this:
  • I have one private key. I backup mine.
  • Trusted coin has one private key. They backup theirs.
  • A friend as one private key. She backs up hers.

In other words, I don't want to backup all my keys in one place.

Can I do this with Electrum? Any suggestions?

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." ― David M. Friedman

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 07:54:24 AM

2FA works just fine , but if you want to stop using TrustedCoin for one reason or another , or they got hacked or something , then you can use the seed to recover your wallet .

Note: The “restore” option should be used only if you no longer want to use TrustedCoin, or if there is a problem with the service. Once you have restored your wallet in this way, two of three factors are on your machine, negating the special protection of this type of wallet.

I personally see it good that way , imagine the amount of people that will be damaged if TrustedCoin goes down or get hacked ?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
gotpetum (OP)

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:44:11 AM

you can use the seed to recover your wallet .

Of course it's good to be able to recover without trustedcoin, but that's the point of 2-of-3 (compared to 2-of-2), and giving another party sole access to the third recovery signature.

Requiring both your private keys be in one place, as Electrum advises, seems to render multisig useless...

Right?

"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations." ― David M. Friedman
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 07:51:09 PM

Of course it's good to be able to recover without trustedcoin, but that's the point of 2-of-3 (compared to 2-of-2), and giving another party sole access to the third recovery signature.

Requiring both your private keys be in one place, as Electrum advises, seems to render multisig useless...

Right?

There are two types of multisig wallets in electrum:

A) 2fa with trusted coin
B) multisig. 2 of 2 or 2 of 3. no third party like trustedcoin is involved with this wallet type.

In the case of the type A the wallet mnemonic is indeed displayed at the time of wallet creation but it is not saved to disk. You are advised to start the wallet creation on an offline system and then move the wallet file to an online one to complete the wallet creation.

In the case of B if you use multiple devices you never have all the private keys on one system. I recommend B.

pilardi

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:05:26 AM

Right?

Who says you need both your private keys in the same place?  Split the seed in half and give half to a trusted friend.  You'll only need it for recovery. 

The local wallet only stores the first private key and it's encrypted.
gotpetum (OP)

View Profile
April 14, 2016, 11:41:13 PM

Who says you need both your private keys in the same place?  Split the seed in half and give half to a trusted friend.  You'll only need it for recovery. 

The local wallet only stores the first private key and it's encrypted.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I thought the seed == the wallet, and so both the wallet and the seed have all 2FA private keys. I'll have to double check, but that sounds good.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: