Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 03:34:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any work being done on porting a Linux CPU mining app to Xeon Phi coprocessor?  (Read 4171 times)
eljefe (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 01:36:05 AM

Hello,

Worthless newbie here. I am a worthless newbie with a new Intel Xeon Phi (knights corner) PCIe coprocessor. It has 6GB of RAM and 228 hyperthreaded x86 cores.

Has anyone done any work porting a Linux CPU mining app to Phi? If not, can someone suggest the preferred Linux CPU mining app so I can try porting it?

Thanks!

Atruk

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 10:29:25 AM

Hello,

Worthless newbie here. I am a worthless newbie with a new Intel Xeon Phi (knights corner) PCIe coprocessor. It has 6GB of RAM and 228 hyperthreaded x86 cores.

Has anyone done any work porting a Linux CPU mining app to Phi? If not, can someone suggest the preferred Linux CPU mining app so I can try porting it?

Thanks!

Awesome piece of equipment. Xeon Phi is awfully new, so you might be one of the first to have one and be directing it at bitcoin mining. I'd really suggest moving this to the mining section when you get out of purgatory, a lot of the mining software devs hang out there regularly and someone might be interested in guiding you as you build their software for this machine, but some of the existing OpenCL miners aimed at GPUs might already work with the potential to work better after some optimization. I'm pretty interested to see what these can push.

And if it just isn't that efficient for bitcoin mining, you'll probably become king of the litecoin miners.

Moshi

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:50:51 PM

The Xeon Phi -should- work with existing miners. It's a ton of simplified x86 cores slapped onto a die, and from what I've heard should work with existing x86 code. That isn't to say everything will work perfectly out of the box, but it'll certainly run a current miner.

...Are you possibly going to write one? I, incidentally, will probably be working with the Xeon Phi in the near future, and having someone to work with for some practice and Bitcoin's sake would be something  Grin
Tommo

Activity: 17

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:25:08 AM

Awesome idea  Grin
kiyominer

Activity: 4

View Profile
March 27, 2014, 02:54:18 PM

i ported Pooler's cpuminer to Intel Xeon Phi and published the code at https://github.com/kiyominer/cpuminer

you can refer to https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=88407.msg5932213#msg5932213 for some more detailed information

Cheers,

kiyo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: