Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:08:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The thing that will destroy Bitcoin.  (Read 7317 times)
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:02:14 AM

I would also mention that altcoins are experimenting with a range of different approaches to blockchain bloat. If even one of them pans out, the software protocol of bitcoin can almost certainly be updated to implement the fix. (I would think sidechains would be a good solution to bloat as well.) People who declare that bitcoin is sure to die should first make sure their expected cause of death really is something intractable and unsolvable by changing the software. Bitcoin is not a fixed entity.

That's way too optimistic. Faster blocks is a PROVEN success in altcoins, 99.999% altcoins uses faster blocks, many of them produce blocks every few seconds. This is a pretty obvious trend ever since litecoin was introduced, uh FOUR years ago.

Yet it's not even remotely on the road map of Bitcoin development.

I have no reason to believe an altcoin solution to blockchain bloat can be adopted by Bitcoin. Since many solution to blockchain bloat actually already exist in altcoin for YEARS.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
labwork

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:18:50 AM

If you think carefully you'll notice anything has the potential to destroy Bitcoin, but not anytime soon (hopefully). As far as I am concerned, the best plan to stick with would be to simply just focus on more tactile moves in terms of growing and strengthening Bitcoin, rather than focusing on what could kill it it.  Grin
m4nki

Activity: 1039
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:24:18 AM

A sun storm that is so powerful that it will destroy most electronical devices on earth happens every 500 years and will throw us back into the stone age with en estimated 2.7 trillion in damage.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2014/23jul_superstorm/

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 11:35:31 AM

I would also mention that altcoins are experimenting with a range of different approaches to blockchain bloat. If even one of them pans out, the software protocol of bitcoin can almost certainly be updated to implement the fix. (I would think sidechains would be a good solution to bloat as well.) People who declare that bitcoin is sure to die should first make sure their expected cause of death really is something intractable and unsolvable by changing the software. Bitcoin is not a fixed entity.

That's way too optimistic. Faster blocks is a PROVEN success in altcoins, 99.999% altcoins uses faster blocks, many of them produce blocks every few seconds. This is a pretty obvious trend ever since litecoin was introduced, uh FOUR years ago.

Yet it's not even remotely on the road map of Bitcoin development.

I have no reason to believe an altcoin solution to blockchain bloat can be adopted by Bitcoin. Since many solution to blockchain bloat actually already exist in altcoin for YEARS.

how many orphan block they produce? i bet a large amount, even bitcoin produce orphan with its current block time, but there is a solution for this coming, called subchain
bitlost

Activity: 63

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 12:23:20 PM

I think the best argument in its defense is that Bitcoin was created years ago, time in which it would have died if it would have been so full of imperfections as you say it is. I think time has been and will show that the system really works for everyone.
Mitchow

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:16:01 PM

If you think carefully you'll notice anything has the potential to destroy Bitcoin, but not anytime soon (hopefully). As far as I am concerned, the best plan to stick with would be to simply just focus on more tactile moves in terms of growing and strengthening Bitcoin, rather than focusing on what could kill it it.  Grin

That's true we should take things positively rather then focusing on negative things, as we would find more negative people around us who are continuously busy in taking negative things related to bitcoins, and I don't think any individual or a system holds that power to destroy bitcoin.
matete

Activity: 210

=> Buying Bitcoins Everyday !

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:39:45 PM

I think the issue of storage is not so big because there will always be a solution to storage. I remember when computers started there were issues with storage but this has been solved with time thanks to the fast growing technology. May be a solution will be to have options of fees for confirmation of transactions. For instance, say if you want a faster confirmation, you need to include a certain few otherwise the transaction will take a whole day.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:56:04 PM

Bank institutions, USA government or other powerful organization could bring down bitcoin if they wanted to. It's not that strong yet.

If these organizations can make more profit by embracing bitcoin. They will integrate it. If they cannot beat bitcoin, they will join it.

My answer is similar - what could take Bitcoin down is not disagreement among developers, this will be worked out. What can really take Bitcoin down is Banks, Governments and bad press.  I am hoping though that they cannot beat it and will have to join.

I love Bitcoin
pinkslink

Activity: 75

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 03:42:12 PM

i think before that people are going to get tired of waiting days for transaction confirmations..

as it is now, if i want to sell something for bitcoin, i have to wait HOURS before it confirms.. unless you tack on a stupid high fee.. which nobody does..

which bank do you work for HuhHuhHuhHuh

my transfers are near instant, and confirmations take a few minutes for the 1st
for a whopping big mining fee of 0.0001 BTC, yep today that is equalt to $0.04
and it does not matter about the size of the transaction

or i could pay a priorty mining fee
again a whopping big 0.0005 BTC
really pushing the boat out at $0.20

for a transfer i can send WORLDWIDE in a few minutes
that would take days with banks and fees much higher

i dont know about all these delays people rant about but i dont see them myself
as for BTC to transfer in seconds or instant what do you expect, solutions will come
but as BTC is now its much faster than other methods
trickshot22

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 03:49:35 PM

nothing will destroy the bitcoin because its impossible to destruct right now, the price of it might drop significantly but it will still exist
angryrob

Activity: 287

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 04:01:35 PM

nothing will destroy the bitcoin because its impossible to destruct right now, the price of it might drop significantly but it will still exist

It will exist for sure and become more powerful in future, but at a moment bitcoin is not that powerful that can't be destroyed, if government wish they can destroy bitcoin by banning it in their countries.
RustyNoman

Activity: 189

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:56:53 AM

It will exist for sure and become more powerful in future, but at a moment bitcoin is not that powerful that can't be destroyed, if government wish they can destroy bitcoin by banning it in their countries.

Bitcoin is legal in many countries. It is like gold, a proper property. It can be used for good for bad things.
dupeddonk

Merit: 30

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:24:28 AM

Same thing that detroys humans.

Or a better alternative to biotcoin
okae
Legendary

Activity: 1401
Merit: 1008

northern exposure

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 10:01:53 AM

the problem with bitcoin is just that people are getting so impatient about core devs, ofc that everybody agree or at least i like to think it that bitcoin need improvements/changes, the question here is how to do it without hurt the whole ecosystem...

i have not any doubt that all those things will be fixed, until it happens maybe we can help bitcoin core by adding more nodes Wink

IMHO #1.b of suspects, Hal Finney is/was S.N.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:07:20 AM

No internet destroys Bitcoin and the entire infra structure that relies on a data connection. No internet is basically an end of the world scenario.
Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:10:16 AM

I see so much impatience about Bitcoin development and those who are most worried are the ones who want to be rich soon to get their BTC profit in fiat and leave this world. Most of us should consider themselves sort of privileged to be part of the greatest thing after the Internet.
So the thing that will destroy BTC is basically us.
ATguy

Activity: 423

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 10:19:30 AM

I think the issue of storage is not so big because there will always be a solution to storage. I remember when computers started there were issues with storage but this has been solved with time thanks to the fast growing technology.

The blockchain size is not issue, 60 GB is about the size the biggest games take on your harddisk, so the blockchain can grow much larger. Also if the blockchain was actually much larger today then there would be more pressure to implement feature where nodes could keep only some % of blocks based on their prefference how much data keep on harddisk. But in situation where blockchain is just 60 GB and it is common for people to have 1000 GB harddisk space, there is enough space for faster blockchain growing to keep Bitcoin adoption uncapped for now.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 01:39:39 PM

I think some people will lose trust as more exchanges go down with their money.  If that continues, it could destroy bitcoin.
kartaggen

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:43:03 PM

I think some people will lose trust as more exchanges go down with their money.  If that continues, it could destroy bitcoin.

But I don't see it happening, the only thing that can destroy bitcoin is its own value, if value goes to zero then it would directly destroy bitcoins, so the value is the most important factor in deciding the future of bitcoins.
RustyNoman

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 09:05:03 AM

But I don't see it happening, the only thing that can destroy bitcoin is its own value, if value goes to zero then it would directly destroy bitcoins, so the value is the most important factor in deciding the future of bitcoins.

What do you mean by own value? The value of bitcoin comes from usefulness. If there is no use, there is no value.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: