Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:59:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FreiCoin (FRC) Fork WITHOUT 80% Of Coins Given To FreiCoin Foundation  (Read 20720 times)
Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 11:17:02 PM

jancsika:  You should put these idea on our forums ware we are discussing the structure and bylaws of the foundation.  http://www.freicoin.org/freicoin-foundation-f15.html is our new sub-forum for such discussions.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 01:47:19 AM

After thing about this issue a bit, the problem is the foundation ALREADY has 8 million Freicoins. We need to create a new coin, but I suggest something different.

Currently, all cryptocurrencies are based off Satoshi's bitcoin, with same or slightly modified protocols, and only some modifications (eg demurrage in Freicoin, block timings and distributions with other coins, proof of stake with PPCoin). But look at all the failed cryptocurrencies - we are essentially making a new Linux distro instead of actually making something new.

I propose making a new cryptocurrency from scratch and discussing and testing different ways to do it. Blockchain, hashcash-style mining, addresses, they're all one way to do things. There's bound to be better ways, and for a cryptocurrency to succeed we need to do it differently. Not blindly do things differently, but look at it and see which way is BETTER other than just creating a fork and modifying a bit of code from bitcoind.

I have a few ideas. For example, addresses. Instead of a clunky to remember, hard to type address, why not use something like this?

someguyswebsite.com/wallet
dicegame.com/lessthan512
192.168.0.12/lanpartydonations
wc6sbavw7fcotfgm.onion/order1274621
mywallet.bit/someusername

To verify those addresses, we could use a similar system to randomart. There's of course the attack where say you're on dicegame.com is compromised and the attacker changes the randomart displayed on the site for verification, but that's similar for bitcoin too. The coin obviously won't actually use http, it'll use it's own protocol, but will find addresses via DNS, tor, other darknets, etc etc.

Again, this is just one of the ideas I have about addresses. I'm sure if people think about it, experiment with some test code, we'd come across different ways, maybe better.

Another important thing is that the core development needs to be just that - core. Make the protocol extensible. Have headers, like HTTP requests. Over time, the community will enhance this currency by itself. For example, say a header called 'RETURN_ADDRESS: freewallet.org/ponies', say if you're betting on a gambling game and send an amount greater than the max bet, and you want returns in a DIFFERENT address (eg if you're withdrawing from an exchange) It's a nice thing to have, but it might not need to be in the core development. People will be able to add this feature, peers and nodes would implement and support it.

Take a look at websockets. Take a look at new IRC features and additions. If we make the protocol robust and extensible, the currency will involve by itself, and with the community and the users to make it last. There obviously would be a core set of guidelines - max cap of X coins, but if we discover a BETTER address system, maybe if someone wants to make it work with emails, they can code a module or extension, tell people and nodes to install and use it, and supported clients will use it automatically. Not supported? "Command not found. This command is part of coinemail, sudo cpm install coinemail".

Just some ideas. Can we do a system where transactions have a verifiable sending time? Use the hashcash mining system. A new "timecode" every 20 seconds (as it is not a block, it is not coupled with transactions, each timecode would just be a few bytes). Transactions would include the latest timecode as proof of when it was sent. First sent coins triumph in double spend attacks. Still vulnerable to 51% attacks, but again this is just one idea.
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 01:53:01 AM

After thing about this issue a bit, the problem is the foundation ALREADY has 8 million Freicoins. We need to create a new coin, but I suggest something different.

Currently, all cryptocurrencies are based off Satoshi's bitcoin, with same or slightly modified protocols, and only some modifications (eg demurrage in Freicoin, block timings and distributions with other coins, proof of stake with PPCoin). But look at all the failed cryptocurrencies - we are essentially making a new Linux distro instead of actually making something new.

I propose making a new cryptocurrency from scratch and discussing and testing different ways to do it. Blockchain, hashcash-style mining, addresses, they're all one way to do things. There's bound to be better ways, and for a cryptocurrency to succeed we need to do it differently. Not blindly do things differently, but look at it and see which way is BETTER other than just creating a fork and modifying a bit of code from bitcoind.

I have a few ideas. For example, addresses. Instead of a clunky to remember, hard to type address, why not use something like this?

dicegame.com/lessthan512

To verify those addresses, we could use a similar system to randomart. There's of course the attack where say you're on dicegame.com is compromised and the attacker changes the randomart displayed on the site for verification, but that's similar for bitcoin too. The coin obviously won't actually use http, it'll use it's own protocol, but will find addresses via DNS, tor, other darknets, etc etc.

Again, this is just one of the ideas I have about addresses. I'm sure if people think about it, experiment with some test code, we'd come across different ways, maybe better.

Another important thing is that the core development needs to be just that - core. Make the protocol extensible. Have headers, like HTTP requests. Over time, the community will enhance this currency by itself. For example, say a header called 'RETURN_ADDRESS: freewallet.org/ponies', say if you're betting on a gambling game and send an amount greater than the max bet, and you want returns in a DIFFERENT address (eg if you're withdrawing from an exchange) It's a nice thing to have, but it might not need to be in the core development. People will be able to add this feature, peers and nodes would implement and support it.

Take a look at websockets. Take a look at new IRC features and additions. If we make the protocol robust and extensible, the currency will involve by itself, and with the community and the users to make it last. There obviously would be a core set of guidelines - max cap of X coins, but if we discover a BETTER address system, maybe if someone wants to make it work with emails, they can code a module or extension, tell people and nodes to install and use it, and supported clients will use it automatically. Not supported? "Command not found. This command is part of coinemail, sudo cpm install coinemail".

Just some ideas. Can we do a system where transactions have a verifiable sending time? Use the hashcash mining system. A new "timecode" every 20 seconds (as it is not a block, it is not coupled with transactions, each timecode would just be a few bytes). Transactions would include the latest timecode as proof of when it was sent. First sent coins triumph in double spend attacks. 3 confirms in 1 minute on average. Still vulnerable to 51% attacks, but again this is just one idea.

Please stop.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 01:54:41 AM

dicegame.com/lessthan512

Just some ideas. Can we do a system where transactions have a verifiable sending time? Use the hashcash mining system. A new "timecode" every 20 seconds (as it is not a block, it is not coupled with transactions, each timecode would just be a few bytes). Transactions would include the latest timecode as proof of when it was sent. First sent coins triumph in double spend attacks. 3 confirms in 1 minute on average. Still vulnerable to 51% attacks, but again this is just one idea.

Please stop.
Thank you for your informative and compelling comment, galambo.
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 01:59:24 AM

So I take this fork / 51% takeover of FreiCoin is now dead.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:00:52 AM

dicegame.com/lessthan512

Just some ideas. Can we do a system where transactions have a verifiable sending time? Use the hashcash mining system. A new "timecode" every 20 seconds (as it is not a block, it is not coupled with transactions, each timecode would just be a few bytes). Transactions would include the latest timecode as proof of when it was sent. First sent coins triumph in double spend attacks. Still vulnerable to 51% attacks, but again this is just one idea.

sounds like it will be too difficult to prevent hacking with all those 'features' built in..  

The reason bitcoin is popular is because of its 'simplicity' and security.  You could probably build what your talking about on top of bitcoin, similar to blockchain.info but with all the new address features and such.  but still have the bitcoin underneath providing the verification and security..  

KISS

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 02:05:54 AM

There is still not enough hasing power overall to state any such conclusion. Any beefy BTC miner could probably do it himself for the lulz.
galambo

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:06:53 AM

Unfortunately, it never got off the ground. We're completely open to people that want to use our work to accomplish their own goals, as long as they do it competently. It was impossible for it to work how it was coded. I really hope TradeFortress is done posting about this. It's very embarrassing for him. I'm not sure if hes completely unaware of that or this is some weird troll.
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:10:41 AM

Unfortunately, it never got off the ground. It was impossible for it to work how it was coded. I really hope TradeFortress is done posting about this. It's very embarrassing for him. I'm not sure if hes completely unaware of that or this is some weird troll.

yup i agree never got off the ground, we still wait for the bins
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:14:14 AM

Unfortunately, it never got off the ground. It was impossible for it to work how it was coded. I really hope TradeFortress is done posting about this. It's very embarrassing for him. I'm not sure if hes completely unaware of that or this is some weird troll.

yup i agree never got off the ground, we still wait for the bins
I'm really not going to focus any time on this fork because I think the best approach would be a new cryptocurrency protocol. Feel free to submit pull requests through.
hanzac

Activity: 425
Merit: 262

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 05:48:57 AM

I'm really not going to focus any time on this fork because I think the best approach would be a new cryptocurrency protocol. Feel free to submit pull requests through.

I don't think there's need to implement a new currency, unless you find a better encryption method than SHA-256 or scrypt or you find/think the current currency is not fair, price is manipulated by some early investors and hard to thrive.

I think the current BTC mode is acceptable, you can create new application to extend the use. I also like the idea to re-implement the protocol in other language than C++.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:00:39 PM
Last edit: January 06, 2013, 02:12:45 PM by Bicknellski

Well, I don't get it. TF apparently doesn't want it to take off.
What was his change to the code anyway? Why is it a problem that the foundation already has the coins? If moving these coins never makes it into a block there is no problem.

Read the thread... the answers are all there. If you want your own coin that has none of these features... create it. Right? Since the topic is dead might as well lock it and have you start a new topic about your super duper new coin without the 80% trust.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 09:39:07 AM

Those clunky to remember addresses are the hash of a public key. The public key is part of a key pair composed of public and private key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key

Good luck with your fork, it seems you will need it.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
stiff

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 09:58:24 AM

May I ask you a two questions about FreiCoin?
- How long blocks is immature  or  need confirmation?
- Award for the block is constant?
Thanks.
galambo

View Profile
March 21, 2013, 11:46:27 AM

May I ask you a two questions about FreiCoin?
- How long blocks is immature  or  need confirmation?
- Award for the block is constant?
Thanks.

1) 120 blocks need to be mined until maturity
2) The reward is not constant, but it is predictable. It starts out at ~250 per block, and linearly decreases to a steady state value of around 100 coins per block @ around 160000 blocks mined. Each block mined will always have a reward at least 100 until the end of time. For the actual eqn you can find it in the client sourcecode.
ASICSRUS

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 10:55:54 PM

Freicoin foundation?

wots dat? /\ Grin

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 19, 2013, 11:57:51 PM

We're working on it:

http://foundation.herokuapp.com/

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
ASICSRUS

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 12:13:31 AM

Cool
is this you~> https://github.com/jtimon

✰ If You Risk Nothing, You Risk Everything | PrimeDice.com | The New Way To Roll | *Thread*

<3<3:::LOVE^YOUR^NEIGHBOR!!!:::|+i|_33+(((PLEASE)))====>Donate if you like me!~> 157YEcD4WQ9UbhZ7NSC2FpuaYfxHe3JgF2
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 12:23:25 AM

That's my colleague, who goes by jtimon on these forums. This is me:

https://github.com/maaku/

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
ASICSRUS

Expert Computer Geek

View Profile
September 20, 2013, 12:56:19 AM

why is FrieCoin so undervalued on the exchange?...i'm grabbing more down here!!!~keep it up/\ Grin Grin Grin

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: