Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:33:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping cards from bumping into each other with no case?  (Read 1087 times)
Adam (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:21:37 PM

I'm just wondering what other people have done to keep cards safely separated when you need to cram them side by side on a motherboard and have no case to screw the cards into?  I had a machine go down last night when one of the cards moved a little and the fan slammed into another.  I don't think there was any damage that can't be fixed, but I obviously want to prevent this from happening again.  For now I stuck some pieces of a cardboard box between each card, but I was wondering if anyone had a more elegant solution?

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BombaUcigasa
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:28:24 PM

supa
Copper Member

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:06:04 PM

They bump together... and that still didn't help you realize the problem with what you're doing... Huh

Maybe.... It would probably take about 5 minutes to go find a plastic ruler or similar thin piece of material.  Pop a few holes in it and use the existing mounting brackets and screws to build something somewhat structurally sound that isn't going to destroy good equipment and/or cause a fire.

Or.... use plastic chains and spread the equipment out on plastic hooks until it looks like the final scene in the first Hellraiser movie.  Stick a paper banner saying something like, "AMD wept...."  Now you have functional art.

Or.... get a case.  If your cards don't fit in one case, get two cases.  A lot of cases (especially Antecs) allow both side covers to be removed - you could remove the side that usually is on the solder-side of the motherboard and mount the card inside the case with any PCIe extender cables stretched over into the next case.  Duct-tape them together side-by-side and use them for a spare bench.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:33:50 PM

L shaped aluminum strip, Drill holes .8" apart (so 1.6" for a double) make sure to get the distance from the edge right, I used some spacers from my case to mark the distance. 

It looks like this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7216.msg178870#msg178870
Meatball

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:49:52 PM
Last edit: June 08, 2011, 05:59:59 PM by Meatball

L shaped aluminum strip, Drill holes .8" apart (so 1.6" for a double) make sure to get the distance from the edge right, I used some spacers from my case to mark the distance.  

It looks like this: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7216.msg178870#msg178870

Is there anything supporting those cards upright from the table or is it just a single L bracket along the top of the card brackets?  I'm just wondering if you are still letting them be supported vertically by the slot, or if you have something else.
kiwiasian

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:03:49 PM

This

Tradehill referral link, save 10% | http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R12328
www.payb.tc/kiwiasian | 1LHNW1JGMBo2e7rKiiFz7KJPKE57bqCdEC
Atoth

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 06:22:05 PM

Is there anything supporting those cards upright from the table or is it just a single L bracket along the top of the card brackets?  I'm just wondering if you are still letting them be supported vertically by the slot, or if you have something else.

Just the single L bracket along the top of the cards, with all the cards screwed to it it's very sturdy. I was having issues with the first card moving too much in the PCI-E slot, the others not so much, but GPU3/4 the screws in the rear of the cards were touching the fans of the card behind it till I put in some foam spacers as a temp fix. Now with the bracket its 1000x more stable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: