Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:34:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A foundation with 80% of the coins can never work.  (Read 4801 times)
jtimon
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 07:50:29 PM

People recieving the funds would be those who are friends of foundation members, and their friends and so on down the road.

Hey Foundation, wanna spread the coins to everyone? Browse the Internet and send 10 FRC to any and all emails you stumble upon
and any and all Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and Google+ member and so on. It is as simple as that! Sure, it will take you some time,
but time should not be too big sacrifice for higher goals becoming fulfilled.

You know people can have any number of accounts on these services you've named, right?
p2p identification is an unsolved problem (probably unsolvable), but if you solve it, please, let me know: I'm really interested. There's more use cases besides distributing the initial monetary base of a new currency.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
psybits
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:57:54 PM

That is why you send just 10 FRC. It is promotion, letting people know about Freicon, not making someone rich - that includes the
very unlikely but still possible case of sending multiple of 10 FRC to same person, one that uses many emails, Facebook accounts
and so on. Will it make any serious difference if one person receives 10 FRC and some other person receives 100 FRC? No. If you
want more people to be targeted, drop amount of FRC to 1 or less.

You could create two different emails, one for business targets and one for ordinary people. In former one, point to values Freicoin
has to offer to businesses and link to serious stuff, in later one point to ... games! That's right = the most common activity of ordinary
computer users are games. Create some simple but nice looking games (I'm not suggesting my own game here since it is way too
complex for most people), load accounts with FRC and than send link to 1 account per email. Once user clicks on link, he will land on
game page, where he or she can use coins for ... something. Put games somewhere on main Freicoin page, so that those interested
in finding more can easily find more info, which includes downloading client, setting up miner, how to get more coins through faucets
and so on.

Time required to have all set up and ready? Less than 1 week if you hire freelancers. Just don't count on miners to make services and
applications - you can see yourself how little is done when it comes to even Bitcoin, let alone Litecoin or even younger currencies.
You simply can't make uncreative and unskilled ones, which is true for majority here, creative and skilled by offering them FRC in return.

Good ideas! You have to be careful it isn't spam though but I think agressively raising awareness of FRC is a good strategy and something which the other coins don't do so much.

FRC has a large loyal following and a foundation which in one sense puts it far ahead of the other alt coins - I just hope you guys get it right  Cool

I can help with any of this (online marketing, promotions, press releases, web design etc) check my signature.

All pay is in BTC or LTC  Wink
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 03:45:55 PM

Good ideas! You have to be careful it isn't spam though but I think agressively raising awareness of FRC is a good strategy and something which the other coins don't do so much.

FRC has a large loyal following and a foundation which in one sense puts it far ahead of the other alt coins - I just hope you guys get it right  Cool

I can help with any of this (online marketing, promotions, press releases, web design etc) check my signature.

All pay is in BTC or LTC  Wink

I think that promoting a user base beyond the bitcoin community is very important so the message that goes out must be carefully crafted and it must help generate trust from the get go... doing as a mass promotion not really effective I think but this is a good idea and should be discussed on the Freicoin board as well. http://www.freicoin.org/project-development-f13.html

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 07:27:16 AM

Then don't use Freicoin.

It's not that easy. If the community decides that doing something like the freicoin devs do is not allowed and backs it up with hashing power there is nothing anybody can do about it.
Added to that there are many people here who are interested in concepts like demurrage and it is quite a disappointment that something gets crippled like that by a small minorities lust for power.

Some food for your thought:
If you really wanna live in the dreamy new world of cryptoanarchism you better learn to obey the laws.
You should know by now that creating a bitcoin fork while trying to be a smartass is against it.

We have not only the realm of alternate cryptocurrencies to protect but also the attribution of bitcoin to decentralization.

Demurrage is concept worth trying, why not give a pure demurrage version without the foundation? Why mix an unnecessary component ?
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 09:41:50 AM

Demurrage is concept worth trying, why not give a pure demurrage version without the foundation? Why mix an unnecessary component ?

We think the currency has more chances to take off with the foundation than without it. Freicoin will be completely p2p in the long term, only the initial distribution isn't decentralized.
Why do we think that? Well, ask any community/local currencies advocate about bitcoin miners. Ask your grandmother what she thinks about GPGPU mining compared to giving grants to charity projects. Ask the permaculture community what they think about electricity expenses as a mean to "distribute the initial supply in a p2p fashion". It turns out that not everybody has strict p2p-ness from the beginning as a first priority.

I hope this helps.

2 different forms of free-money: Freicoin (free of basic interest because it's perishable), Mutual credit (no interest because it's abundant)
twolifeinexile

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 02:26:02 PM

We think the currency has more chances to take off with the foundation than without it. Freicoin will be completely p2p in the long term, only the initial distribution isn't decentralized.
Why do we think that? Well, ask any community/local currencies advocate about bitcoin miners. Ask your grandmother what she thinks about GPGPU mining compared to giving grants to charity projects. Ask the permaculture community what they think about electricity expenses as a mean to "distribute the initial supply in a p2p fashion". It turns out that not everybody has strict p2p-ness from the beginning as a first priority.

I hope this helps.

To be honest, I feel like being educate and someone "know better than the uninformed" is "doing good to me" when you say things above. A feeling of "supervised democracy"
jtimon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 17, 2013, 02:57:59 PM

To be honest, I feel like being educate and someone "know better than the uninformed" is "doing good to me" when you say things above. A feeling of "supervised democracy"

Well, sorry if my tone sounded arrogant to you or something. I want to stress that this is only for the initial issuing. You may think that more people will use it if it's issued in a 100% p2p fashion, but we disagree and want to find out if it's possible to distribute it in a less wasteful manner that is reasonable for the user base. My point is that many potential users don't precisely see mining as a legit way to issue the initial base. In that sense, we may be able to get people on board of the cryptocurrency ship that would otherwise be hesitant to use bitcoin. At least, this is our hope.

Many other complementary/alternative currencies have been issued through charities. We believe that this form of issuance will have more acceptance in the "complementary currencies movement", for example.

Ecologists usually see mining as wasteful in resources. While explaining them that it was necessary to maintain the network security, we realized that it wasn't necessary to issue the full base through mining. It was just Satoshi's design choice to make the issuance 100% p2p.

Other people argued that issuing it through miners was unfairly favorable to them and make the currency look like a ponzi scheme. While explaining that costs tend to equal expenditures and therefore profits tend to zero in the mining free market, we realized that this would be probably false for the initial inflationary period and/or the system as a whole would be "overpaying for security".

Finally, I think "we're giving away 80 millions" can be a useful and appealing sentence for charity organizations, free culture producers or just curious people that don't know anything about bitcoin or freicoin and may want to know more after reading that.

Of course, we may be wrong, but I definitely think that it is worth trying.
In less than 3 years we will know if this was a good idea or we should have just created a bitcoin with demurrage, giving all the issued coins to miners.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
January 17, 2013, 11:39:10 PM

Did someone say Solidcoin?

I thought I felt a disturbance in the hash fabric of the universe!  Kiss

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:21:24 PM

Freicoin is the pushing forward.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: