Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hong Kong and bitcoins  (Read 3369 times)
slygent (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:11:34 PM

Hong Kong is the most capitalist territory in the world, so where are all the bitcoiners here? Why is there no HKD-dedicated exchange? Or a way to buy BTC with funds from an HKD bank account (which anyone in the world can open)? Unless I'm missing something...

Get in touch if you also think Hong Kong can be a bitcoin powerhouse.
jonitas

Activity: 57

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:50:28 PM

I agree. With all the money that is stashed away there to evade taxes there must be a lot of demand for a local bitcoin exchange. However, transfering money from a Hong Kong bank account to Bitstamp for example takes just one day. But it would be good not having to pay the 15 dollars for the international wire though.
Nagato

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 07:30:10 AM

Everybody is too busy flipping properties to care about bitcoin.

001sonkit

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Casper - A failed entrepenuer who looks like Zhou

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 10:15:35 AM

Hong Konger here, +1

GEMINI ACCOUNT REVIEW - Source of Funds Request
Brythe

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:26:57 AM

Hong Konger here.

I think theres no HK-based exchange because of the same reason that the startup scene is so slow in HK = Top HK coders are enslaved by the banks as soon as they graduate as I've witnessed this firsthand with my friends spending their entire uni time deeply into the startup scene in hk and then all joining the banks when it came to getting a job.

dflatline

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:53:33 AM

Likely because HKD isn't very popular to buy.
jonitas

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:44:59 PM

All the wealthy individuals there have multi currency accounts so that shouldn´t be a problem.
GiLa

Activity: 44

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:33:11 PM

start one
slygent (OP)

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:29:16 AM

start one

I think I will Smiley
Haole

Activity: 125

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:50:21 AM

I'd like to know a way/some ways/the best way to be able to transfer BTC into a HK bank account once it's set-up.  I would like to do some traveling in Asia in the near future and would like to fund a small HK bank account to use as a base/back-up.  Can anyone help an old man out? 

"The future isn't what it used to be." - Yogi Berra
anaikh

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

Bitcoin's economy

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:32:41 AM

HK dollars is in controlled by HK central bank which will be heavily influcened by PRC.... BTW, the number of geeks who will use bitcoins in HK is fewer than the number of geerks in US / UK dollar area...

Bitcoin observer. Accenture employee now looking for jobs.
polarpigs

Activity: 1

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:45:15 PM

Even when considering it's one of the most traded currencies in the world?
gog1

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:04:10 PM

I believe Bitfinex is incorporated in HK
danjuro

Activity: 15

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 09:26:29 PM

Can't you convert HK to USD and then to bitcoin?
addictivegaming

Activity: 157

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 10:37:07 PM

Hong Kong is the most capitalist territory in the world, so where are all the bitcoiners here? Why is there no HKD-dedicated exchange? Or a way to buy BTC with funds from an HKD bank account (which anyone in the world can open)? Unless I'm missing something...

Get in touch if you also think Hong Kong can be a bitcoin powerhouse.

Just a quick question. When you said "HKD bank account which anyone in the world can open" would you mind sending me a link or two of how an American citizen who has never been to Hong Kong can open a HKD bank account without having to go there?

I know in certain major cities like New York and San Francisco you can go into certain banks and buy accounts in other denominations but I have not been able to get past the $5,000 minimum they want to open that account, plus it was like a CD not really an active account.

Thanks  Grin

ilostcoins

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 11:32:33 PM

HK dollars is in controlled by HK central bank which will be heavily influcened by PRC.... BTW, the number of geeks who will use bitcoins in HK is fewer than the number of geerks in US / UK dollar area...

There is no central bank in Hong Kong. HKD is pegged to USD for historical reasons which means the money printing done by US central bank devalues HKD just like USD.

I do want to know what's the cheapest way to convert bitcoin to money in a HK bank account though. Anyone have experience?

LTC: LSyqwk4YbhBRtkrUy8NRdKXFoUcgVpu8Qb   NVC: 4HtynfYVyRYo6yM8BTAqyNYwqiucfoPqFW   TAG id: 4313
CMC: CAHrzqveVm9UxGm7PZtT4uj6su4suxKzZv   YAC: Y9m5S7M24sdkjdwxnA9GZpPez6k6EqUjUt
BitcoinMoxy

Activity: 119

BitcoinMoxy.com

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2013, 12:33:28 AM

There was once a beta exchange site by the name of Ruxum (x.ruxum.com - it's down completely now it seems).

It looked very promising and they were the first to offer a direct exchange to and from namecoin, too.

It was HongKong based.

They closed down for legal reasons was the last thing I read about it back then.

There's a link to a list of all active and inactive exchanges on BitcoinMoxy.com in section Bitcoin Community which I think is reliably updated by the folks at Bitcoincharts.

BitcoinMoxy.com - Your Gateway into the World of Bitcoin for Newcomers, Day Traders, Advertisers.
Service updates: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=254631.0
kimoto

Activity: 183

View Profile
May 29, 2013, 01:49:44 AM

Opportunities happen everyday. This is yours.
anaikh

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

Bitcoin's economy

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 09:36:34 AM

There is no central bank in Hong Kong. HKD is pegged to USD for historical reasons which means the money printing done by US central bank devalues HKD just like USD.

Yes u r  right

Bitcoin observer. Accenture employee now looking for jobs.
tinoki

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 10:06:01 AM

may the fiat is their prefer choice of currency
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: