Bitcoin Forum
July 08, 2024, 10:17:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coins that can be HDD mined?  (Read 24960 times)
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 12:28:57 AM

What coins can be mined using a Hard Drive.

What are the most profitable coins to mine in this way (using HDD mining will not use much more power on my laptop and (4.5 TB) hard drive (with 4TB unassigned) than I am currently using at the moment)

Do you have any suggestions of what to mine.

I would be using a SEAGATE 5TB EXPANSION HARD DRIVE (USB 2.0 but could use 3.0)
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:43:34 AM

I hope you're joking.

Hard drives are for STORAGE, they don't calculate anything.

You're wrong my dear ! You can mine BURST with HDDs. Actually, you create the calculations before mining, and then, the miner software pick from what you previously calculated to solve the block.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 09:47:44 AM

Burst and Storj's Driveshare. But Burst is pretty much dead and Driveshare is in early beta and you have to own 10k SJCX to participate (worth ~0.79BTC).

Not your keys, not your coins!
Erkallys
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:39:28 AM

Burst and Storj's Driveshare. But Burst is pretty much dead and Driveshare is in early beta and you have to own 10k SJCX to participate (worth ~0.79BTC).

BURST is on the rebirth. I posted a link to the new thread, by the new development team. Just this week they release a bunch of new tools, so you can't say anymore that it's dead Wink !
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 01:33:20 PM

BURST is on the rebirth. I posted a link to the new thread, by the new development team. Just this week they release a bunch of new tools, so you can't say anymore that it's dead Wink !

I had heard of both BURST and STORJ before.
STOREJ I didn't like it doesn't pay very much.

Burst - being the only altcoin I knew that could be HDD mined (so was wondering of the market of HDD mining, but now it seems to just be Burst).
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 1209

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 05:08:26 PM

I install driveshare but it's useless after more then 5 days I earn nothing from it and so I disable it you need a large hdd to participate and purchase sjcx I don't know that when I started to participate,these are the only two sites I've known if there are other hdd mined coin i would like to read about that ..

█████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████▄▄█▄▄█▄▄██████████▀██████
█████░░█░░█░░█░░████████████▀████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████████▀██
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████
██░░█░░█░░███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀███████████████████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
██▀▀█▀▀█▀▀██████████▄▄▄██████████
██▄▄█▄▄█▄▄███████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██
███████████████████████
█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄█████
██████████████▄██████████
████████████████▄████████
████████████████████████
██
██████████████████████
██████████████████▀▀████
██████████████▀▀░░░░████
██████████▀▀░░░▄▀░░▐████
██████▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░░█████
████▄▄░░░▄██▀░░░░░▐█████
████████░█▀░░░░░░░██████
████████▌▐░░▄░░░░▐██████
█████████░▄███▄░░███████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Ultrasound

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:37:41 PM

To pay 0.75 bitcoin to start mining with hard driver is quite expensive. How long does it take to get the 0.75 bitcoi back?
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:42:33 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2016, 09:27:00 PM by jackg

To pay 0.75 bitcoin to start mining with hard driver is quite expensive. How long does it take to get the 0.75 bitcoi back?

That's not even mining! It is just sharing hard drive space for small amounts of money!
I think it was either [--EDIT-- seems I may have got my wires crossed with a different service that offers $1/tb/month (i think) as this one pays you in their currency]. Both are anyway quite unsustainable.
Erkallys
Legendary

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 08:50:19 PM

That's not even mining! It is just sharing hard drive space for small amounts of money!
I think it was either $1/GB/Month or $1/TB/Month. Both are anyway quite unsustainable.

I hope you were joking ! If it is 1$/GB/Month, anyone could be rich really quickly ! So if everyone is deceived about this, this mean that it is much more 1$/TB/Month than 1$/GB/Month, even if I think it is between the two, because one is way too high, and the other way too low.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:10:01 AM

Currently the testers get paid once a month for a small amount. No idea how much, I'm in with a couple TB but I haven't been paid yet.
At this stage there's no real data being stored just some randomly generated one. The next step will be testing with actual data sent to people sharing their storage.

Nobody really knows how profitable it will be once it goes live, and for how long.

Not your keys, not your coins!
bitspill
Legendary

Activity: 2087
Merit: 1015

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 10:47:25 AM

While not necessarily mining you could become a host on the Sia network. http://sia.tech and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.0

It's along similar lines as StorJ except it does not have a required collateral to become a host, however if your host shuts down and does not remain online for the duration of the file contract (6 weeks) you will not get paid.

{ BitSpill }
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:44:45 PM

While not necessarily mining you could become a host on the Sia network. http://sia.tech and https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.0

It's along similar lines as StorJ except it does not have a required collateral to become a host, however if your host shuts down and does not remain online for the duration of the file contract (6 weeks) you will not get paid.

So if you get a power cut, you lose your paymentor that six week period?

That's not too good, unless you have an extemely reliable internet speed and electricity supply.
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2016, 05:08:11 PM

Storj system tracks your space and uptime, and pays at the end of the month. In time we will implement micropayments, so that you will get paid every 10 minutes or less.

The collateral(which you actually keep) makes for a very healthy system. People are going to use a network where people will keep their files, vs. just drop them at any time.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 05:38:16 PM

So if you get a power cut, you lose your paymentor that six week period?

That's not too good, unless you have an extemely reliable internet speed and electricity supply.

No, but your computer must be on and working at least  at the end of the contract for sia.
jackg (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 06:44:23 PM

Storj system tracks your space and uptime, and pays at the end of the month. In time we will implement micropayments, so that you will get paid every 10 minutes or less.

The collateral(which you actually keep) makes for a very healthy system. People are going to use a network where people will keep their files, vs. just drop them at any time.

Query:
What happens if a user tries to store something and the storage holder cuts of that hard drive, what happens to their storage?

Also, what happens if a user "leaks" a person's data or will there eventually be a "mirrored" storage so it is stored on two drives as virtual/volatile memory so it does not remain when a person unattaches a hard drive.
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2016, 10:10:30 PM

Query:
What happens if a user tries to store something and the storage holder cuts of that hard drive, what happens to their storage?

Also, what happens if a user "leaks" a person's data or will there eventually be a "mirrored" storage so it is stored on two drives as virtual/volatile memory so it does not remain when a person unattaches a hard drive.
This is covered in the whitepaper http://storj.io/storj.pdf
1) Multiple redundant pieces
2) Each shard is unique. This solves the duplicate problem.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
Ultrasound

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 09:21:08 AM

Storj pays the miners to use the HDD space.   

Who pay the Sorj to use the hard disk space? A company or something like that?
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2016, 09:41:59 PM

Storj pays the miners to use the HDD space.   

Who pay the Sorj to use the hard disk space? A company or something like that?
Check http://storj.io basically developers.

kwaasteniet

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 08:47:05 AM

Burstcoin is HDD minable but in the present circumstances is it necessary to invest in HDD because with your spare space on your laptop HDD earn you nothing. There are now dozens of HDD farms playing with 100Terabytes or more to mine Burst.
Fademigo

Activity: 201
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 16, 2016, 03:02:54 PM

How long does it take to get back the 0.79 you invest to start hard drive mining? If it is less than 4 month, it is worth a try.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: