Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:47:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greeks kicking out the euro  (Read 759 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:31:38 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/02/euro-greece-barter-poverty-crisis

could bitcoin be a solution for them ?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 06:02:01 PM

I doubt many of them know about Bitcoin, I suspect that someone looking to take over the country will conveniently come in with an alternative though, for instance, a new printable fiat currency like the Euro but with some kind of marketing gimmick attached to it like Greek independence. It all depends sadly on how knowledgable the Greek people are on economics but sadly western countries have done a fantastic job of manipulating everyone and trying to keep us ignorant for decades.
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 06:43:59 PM

But would bitcoin even be feasible, I mean does enough people have smart phones ? Could they use physical coins, or is promoting bitcion to them a dead end ?
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 07:12:29 PM

There are around 50 different barter currencies in EU now 12 in the UK, if I remember right.

If the Greeks are kicked out of the Euro their government can not decide exchange rate to the Euro as they please. A lot of greeks are working in other EU countries and are paid in Euro. If the new Drachmer is free floating to the Euro they will get massive inflation. If it is fixed they have a pseudo Euro i.e. same thing. So there is no real benefit by skipping the Euro and inventing something. If they choose USD, it would be another matter. I don't believe that a deflatory currency as Bitcoin can work as a national currency ith the rest of EU, but it will work as barter a currency for the people.
Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 10:02:05 PM

How do we turn Bitcoins to the Greeks?

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:11:50 PM

How do we turn Bitcoins to the Greeks?

Bitcoin takes off in countries where people browse the web and write in English. Greece, spain, France etc. have a language barrier. Bitcoin may first get there in the second round when commercial entities branch out with Bitcoin advertising.

From a consumer point of view two things are needed:

1. Easy wallets, an app for your phone in your own language integrated with your contacts (no messing around with Wallet pub- or vanity keys). Point n shoot QR codes in the web and with merchants; single confirmation transactions as default.

2. Marketing: Few Greeks have come around here, there might exist Greek fora so things can be further than I think, I dont know. Merchants having signs on the door and billboards in the street. Ad's and commercials.
I think that a commercial Bitcoin promotion would look like cell phone carrier campaign.

conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 11:35:13 PM

3. A way for them to earn bitcoins.
Too late to join the mining party.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: