Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:53:03 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin 0.12 release  (Read 11222 times)
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 02:19:07 AM

I've been testing out 0.12.0rc3 in pruned mode, and have run into the following error message when restarting Bitcoin Core: "last wallet synchronisation goes beyond pruned data. You need to -reindex (download the whole blockchain again in case of pruned node)"

To reproduce:
0.) Start from scratch, deleting the entire Bitcoin data directory if it exists (leaving no wallet file or blockchain data).
1.) Install Bitcoin Core
2.) Create Bitcoin data directory if it doesn't exist, create bitcoin.conf, set "prune=550" without quotes
3.) Run Bitcoin Core
4.) After you've verified, say, 100,000 blocks, close Bitcoin Core. Wait until the warning window to not shutdown/restart computer completely closes.
5.) Run Bitcoin Core again, let it verify some more, close it again.
6.) Rinse and repeat step 5...

At some point, I get the above error message on starting Bitcoin Core.

I don't know what exactly is causing this, but if you're like me and you've verified a large amount of blocks and then you're told that you have to start completely over, you'll probably be pissed.

This error message is not new, as a related fix for this kind of error, when converting non-pruned nodes to pruned nodes was made here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/6345

While it's obviously easy to reproduce this error *if* you try plopping an *already existing* wallet.dat file into a pruned node data directory and then running Core -- that's not what I've been experiencing. I've been seeing this error with a brand new wallet.dat that was created from scratch *alongside* a fresh, pruned node.

Edit: If it's a brand new node from scratch, it seems that if you delete the wallet.dat after getting this error, a brand new one will be created, and the blockchain will continue to sync from where it left off, so at least there's that, though, it's still a bug.
Not sure what would cause this, but you would get a better response by posting on the github issue tracker. Or rather watch the issue thread that gmaxwell opened for you here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/7494

David Rabahy

Activity: 709
Merit: 503

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 02:57:27 PM

If everyone ran in pruned mode then would that be a problem?  How would a new node catch up from the beginning?  I'm sure it's just that I am missing the obvious point.  Sorry to be such a dummy.

Maybe the idea is at least a few nodes will always keep the full history?  I am willing to if that helps.
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:00:28 PM

If everyone ran in pruned mode then would that be a problem?  How would a new node catch up from the beginning?  I'm sure it's just that I am missing the obvious point.  Sorry to be such a dummy.

Maybe the idea is at least a few nodes will always keep the full history?  I am willing to if that helps.

Correct, some nodes with the entire blockchain will always need to exist.

theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5236
Merit: 13090

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:14:02 PM

If everyone ran in pruned mode then would that be a problem?  How would a new node catch up from the beginning?  I'm sure it's just that I am missing the obvious point.  Sorry to be such a dummy.

Maybe the idea is at least a few nodes will always keep the full history?  I am willing to if that helps.

In the future Core will let you choose to "donate x GB to the network", and then you'll store a random range of historical blocks. Then nodes doing an initial sync will have to search out nodes that have the blocks they want from among these nodes storing chunks of the historical chain. It's a bit like how BitTorrent works.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
wttbs
Legendary

Activity: 2210
Merit: 1109

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:19:36 PM

I run a full node now on 0.11.2, is it possible to upgrade to 0.12 RCx and still serve the network?
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:47:21 PM

I run a full node now on 0.11.2, is it possible to upgrade to 0.12 RCx and still serve the network?

Yes, just upgrade it.  Depending on what you mean by "serve the network" you'd want to avoid turning pruning on. 
David Rabahy

View Profile
February 10, 2016, 03:59:06 PM

How many nodes do we need to satisfy initial syncs?  https://bitnodes.21.co/ indicates there are over 5,800 right now.  That seems like plenty for sure.  As pruning becomes more popular, who's job is it make sure the number doesn't dwindle too low?

What would happen if managed to lose every copy of the old blocks?
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2016, 04:44:52 PM

How many nodes do we need to satisfy initial syncs?  https://bitnodes.21.co/ indicates there are over 5,800 right now.  That seems like plenty for sure.  As pruning becomes more popular, who's job is it make sure the number doesn't dwindle too low?

What would happen if managed to lose every copy of the old blocks?

Keep a copy on a USB stick.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
David Rabahy

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 01:08:01 AM

Does it make any sense at all to think about paying folks running full nodes (with or without all old blocks) even if they aren't mining?
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 04:37:59 AM

Does it make any sense at all to think about paying folks running full nodes (with or without all old blocks) even if they aren't mining?

Paying them might get complicated. It could be worth giving them a partial refund on their own transaction fees though.

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 08:42:58 AM

The question is how you distinguish a real node from a fake one.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 10:06:48 AM

The question is how you distinguish a real node from a fake one.

Ah! That's beyond my level of knowledge. Smiley

watashi-kokoto

Activity: 682
Merit: 269

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 12:12:23 PM

Ah! That's beyond my level of knowledge. Smiley

there's no point having million nodes. 5000 is enough and they would easily handle millions of transactions.

much more important is for people to archive a copy of blockchain and validate it. in this way we can discover every possible problem, scam or attack.
KiwiParty

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 01:32:42 PM

I'm looking forward to this.
The reduced Blockcahin size would help a lot, its 60GB in size already indeed.
The first installation took about two days, as i remember.
This was way too long.

██████████    YoBit.net - Cryptocurrency Exchange - Over 350 coins
█████████    <<  ● $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$ - $$$   >>
██████████    <<  ● Play DICE! Win 1-5 btc just for 5 mins!  >>
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 01:36:46 PM

I'm looking forward to this.
The reduced Blockcahin size would help a lot, its 60GB in size already indeed.
The first installation took about two days, as i remember.
This was way too long.

With pruning mode enable you still need to download and verify the entire blockchain, if you don't wanna do this try a hosted or SPV wallet.

achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 07:56:24 PM

So when we expect this 0.12.0 release to be officially available?

Meanwhile classic gained ground, now they are 14% (830 nodes) of the total number of nodes.

Soon I think. Rc5 was tagged today and during the meeting today it was mentioned that rc5 would be the last rc for 0.12

Karartma1
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
February 11, 2016, 08:58:08 PM

If everyone ran in pruned mode then would that be a problem?  How would a new node catch up from the beginning?  I'm sure it's just that I am missing the obvious point.  Sorry to be such a dummy.

Maybe the idea is at least a few nodes will always keep the full history?  I am willing to if that helps.

In the future Core will let you choose to "donate x GB to the network", and then you'll store a random range of historical blocks. Then nodes doing an initial sync will have to search out nodes that have the blocks they want from among these nodes storing chunks of the historical chain. It's a bit like how BitTorrent works.

This could be the greatest plus thing we need and then I would be more than happy in contributing again.
When you talk about future, how far is this future? thanks  Wink
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4200
Merit: 8441

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2016, 09:13:59 PM

This could be the greatest plus thing we need and then I would be more than happy in contributing again.
When you talk about future, how far is this future? thanks  Wink
I think it would be done now, if not for all the drama in the last year.

In 0.12 you can run a pruned node and you'll at least relay blocks on the tip.

I hope to see more sophistication maybe towards then end of the year; I'm hesitant to give any concrete numbers in the current climate.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:31:55 AM

So when we expect this 0.12.0 release to be officially available?

Meanwhile classic gained ground, now they are 14% (830 nodes) of the total number of nodes.

RC4 or RC5 will be out soon, some additional bugs were discovered and taken care of.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 02:32:51 AM

So, running a full node is the only way to use Bitcoin in its most trustless form. But there's nothing stopping people from, say, running a full client to achieve this trustlessness, but still turning off the accepting of incoming connections so save bandwidth; well, that is, until *everyone* else decides to do the same, and then there isn't anyone left running an archival node from which to download the blockchain.

Full nodes enforce the consensus rules.  But even miners aren't directly incentivized to run their own full nodes. However, miners and businesses may rely on particular behavior from custom full node features that they may want to make use of, so they will often be incentivized to run their own full nodes for this purpose.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: