Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:57:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending large amounts of bitcoins  (Read 858 times)
Cauap (OP)

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:06:53 AM

Is it better to send your coins in a few smaller transactions?  Does it matter?  Am I being overly paranoid?

It's a lot of money for me... so I just want to be careful.
furrycoat

Activity: 56

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 02:23:09 AM

Send as much as you want. Bitcoin network is 100% reliable no need to worry.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 03:22:28 AM

Just make sure of the address you are sending to. Check, and double check that it's correct.

Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:04:10 AM

Just for safe practice, I wouldn't send HUGE amounts at one time. Numerous things could go wrong, and then you're fucked because there's no way you can reverse the payments. I'd say spend an extra 1-2 minutes dealing it out in smaller increments, just incase something were to go wrong, you wouldn't lose everything you have, or a large portion of what you've accumulated.

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:25:56 AM

If you are sending coins to someone else, then it's up to you to determine how much you trust them with large amounts of money.

Yup.  If the party you are trading with isn't entirely trusted, then consider using an escrow, and other advice from here:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Secure_Trading#Best_Practices_with_trading

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:33:26 AM

Just for safe practice, I wouldn't send HUGE amounts at one time. Numerous things could go wrong, ...

Like what?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:35:44 AM

Just for safe practice, I wouldn't send HUGE amounts at one time. Numerous things could go wrong, ...

Like what?

Like the obvious someone else mentioned. You send it to the wrong address. Sending a 1 BTC test to verify the address is pretty
darn wise if you plan to send a total of 100 BTC.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3247

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 06:22:12 AM

Like what?

Like the obvious someone else mentioned. You send it to the wrong address. Sending a 1 BTC test to verify the address is pretty darn wise if you plan to send a total of 100 BTC.

Sending a lot of BTC in one transaction to the wrong address would be a bad mistake, but sending several small amounts to the wrong address would still be the same mistake. I agree that sending a test amount and then waiting for the receiver to verify that they received it before sending the rest would solve that.

But, I still don't see the benefit of sending several small amounts. He wrote that numerous things could go wrong and that was one. What else?

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
SouthernComfort

Activity: 28

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 06:44:37 AM

Sending numerous small amounts is useless, I've never heard of a issue with coins going missing sending to yourself.
Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

Another one is you could get scammed. If you send 1BTC and get scammed, it's a lot better than sending 20 and having the same person run off with them. He didn't say he was sending them to himself, but it's a good idea to send a test transaction before-han, and don't send HUGE amounts to yourself at once, just in case something did go wrong. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: