Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:10:08 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Phillip Rahvin: on 'Social Contracts'  (Read 1277 times)
da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 03:08:58 AM

This is a post by Phillip Rahvin, I saved it because I was sure it was going to be lost in time:

--- ---

[on Social Contacts:]

Oh, I have too many opinions about this. Thanks for the excuse to rant.

The social contract is not a contract.

Contracts contain four elements: offer, meeting of the minds (negotiation), acceptance, and consideration (trade).

There is no offer or meeting of the minds because the laws are unilaterally, arbitrarily dictated down upon people.

There is no acceptance. The social contract is enacted by force. If someone disagrees with the laws and acts upon their disagreement then they are taken away to a prison. If they resist, they are killed. Contracts cannot be coercively formed or else they are invalid.

There is no consideration. Consideration is those things which are traded in a contract, usually money for some good or service. When the State taxes people for a good or service they always include the disclaimer that they are not legally obligated to provide it. For example, people are taxed for social security for their entire working lives. Yet, people have been denied their social security benefits under the Supreme Court case Flemming v. Nestor which states that the government is not contractually obligated to provide social security benefits. People are taxed for police services and told that it is for their protection. Yet, the Supreme Court cases Bowers v. DeVito and DeShaney v. Winnebago County Department of Social Services state respectively that the government is not obligated to provide police services and that even when the police services are provided that the police are not obligated to protect the citizens.

Also, contracts can be dissolved once one party breaks the terms. Consider that political candidates routinely commit fraud by lying. Presidents use drugs and then continue to support drug prohibition and prison upon others. Law enforcers routinely break the law and behave as criminals. People cannot be expected to abide by a social contract if the State, which imposes the contract, itself refuses to abide by the terms of the contract.

By the definitions of a contract, the social contract cannot apply.

Next, is a historical argument.

As is rightfully stated in the Declaration of Independence, government derives its just powers from the consent of the governed. If an individual does not consent to be governed, then the government does not have just power over him. As such, individuals have the right to opt out of the State's rule.

The knee-jerk response to this is usually represented by the standard Socratic social contract argument, “Well, if you don't like it then leave.”

That is really an incredible statement coming from supporters of the U.S. Government considering the history of the U.S.'s formation as found in the Declaration of Independence. It is widely acknowledged that the Revolutionary War was both just and moral. As such, it is highly celebrated. The revolutionists did not leave the geographic area when they rejected the king. It was quite the opposite. They kept their claims to the land and killed their oppressors. It has already been recognized that the consent of the governed can be withdrawn independently of geographic bounds.

It would be hypocritical to say that it is acceptable for the country to be founded by withdrawing consent to be governed while retaining claims to the land and then say that it is unacceptable for others to do exactly the same thing to the government that set the precedent.

As a side note, this does bring to light the fatal flaw of the “founding fathers” who are usually regarded in high esteem. After advocating that government derives its just powers from the consent of the governed and violently rebelling from an oppressive regime, the very first thing they did was to impose a constitution and a federal government upon their neighbors who objected to and did not consent to be ruled by such. These actions make the “founding fathers” some of the biggest hypocrites in history as they engaged in exactly the same evil behaviors to which they so vehemently rejected.

The social contract is immoral.

Individuals are the sole owners of their own bodies, their actions, and the effects of their actions in the form of their property.

To reject this claim is to advocate the belief that everyone else owns at least some part of every individual. The social contract serves as this excuse for social control; but, in reality, regardless of how numerous or how powerful they may be, others have no moral claim to own anyone's property, their actions, or their body because humans cannot own each other. The notion of human ownership is the essence of the social contract and where one party, in this case society, exercises non-consensual control over those around them.

Humankind has advanced to the point where everyone recognizes these kinds of actions to be immoral when performed by an individual. The next step is to recognize that these actions are immoral when performed in the name of the State which only gains its power from groups of individuals.

Just like I cannot grant my consent to allow your life to be violated, society cannot grant its collective consent to allow others' lives to be violated.

And lastly, the idea of a social contract is just ridiculous.

Imagine a contract under which a person can bind someone else's unborn children according to their rules and monetary obligations. This “contract” would be laughable. The child would not have to vote to “change the system” or leave his home to be unbound by this contract. The contract would be unenforceable because it is immoral. It does not and cannot legitimately exist.

Yet, groups of people do this through the State where they bind unborn generations to their “constitutions” and laws and pass onto them “sovereign debt” obligations. Then when the children oppose these conditions they are told that they are bound by a social contract and if they do not like it then they must either vote to change it (with futility) or they must leave.

As can be seen, there is substantial hypocrisy between the acceptable actions of individuals and the actions of collective individuals who call themselves a “government.” People cannot create a collective social contract when they cannot morally form exactly the same kind of contract individually.

We're also told that we're born into society and therefore into the social contract. Last time I checked, minors under the age of 18 cannot be bound by contracts.

--- ---

I hope that you found this post great! Gives people lots of Ammunition to refute the entire 'Social Contract' concept.

One off NP-Hard.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 03:26:06 AM

Excellent post. The "social contract" is a joke.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:32:46 PM

I actually had a long argument with some anarchists because, among the many claims I made, I said all social contracts/laws/whatever all have an implied threat of violence.  I thought it was pretty straightforward.  If I want something, I take it.  If you try to stop me, we fight, and the strongest wins.  UNLESS there are social contracts or norms that allow society to decide which of us is "right" and band together to prevent even the strongest individual from overpowering the other.  It comes down to establishing normative principles in an attempt to lessen violence-- but the final enforcer is of course always violence.  One is just sanctioned violence that everybody agrees is necessary, and that's not really a bad thing, it's just worth pointing out.

You guys think social contracts are stupid or a joke because YOU are ethical, but what do you do without any contracts or other guidelines to prevent somebody who does not share your ethics from infringing on you?  And what if he is more powerful?  Without social contracts, Darwinian/Malthusian selection occurs with respect to economics and resources.  That's hardly a better solution than social contracts, right???

da2ce7 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1222

Live and Let Live

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 02:02:10 PM

You guys think social contracts are stupid or a joke because YOU are ethical, but what do you do without any contracts or other guidelines to prevent somebody who does not share your ethics from infringing on you?  And what if he is more powerful?  Without social contracts, Darwinian/Malthusian selection occurs with respect to economics and resources.  That's hardly a better solution than social contracts, right???

You can always defend yourself, or have friends, family, or other people to defend you from aggressive attack.  However if you opponent is truly strong there isn't much you can do.  Incendiary, this is the case with the government, that is such a strong opponent that it is impossible to defend yourself from it's attacks; thus you submit to it's authority. (or go down in a blazing fight).

One off NP-Hard.
VogueBlackheart

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:06:03 AM

The Anarchists/Anarcho-[whatever] guys keep talking about fundamentals, yet they'd fail to recognise one if even if their life depended on it.

In order for contracts to be possible in a society, there almost certainly needs to be some foundation upon which all contracts are built. Sure, it might be circular reasoning for such a foundation to use the word 'contract' in its own name. However, that does not invalidate the need for the foundation. GNU/Linux projects use recursive names all the time. The "Social Contract" could simply be renamed "Social Requirement", and Rahvin's entire spiel is rendered irrelevant. Thus, the OP commits that most heinous of crimes: THE FALLACY FALLACY Wink

Similarly, Anarcho-Capitalists and Libertarians routinely commit further acts of intellectual dishonesty whenever they claim "the free market" will solve all the world's problems, but vigorously deny that Capitalism requires any foundation whatsoever on which it has to be built. Civilisation? Peacefulness? A common language? Ha! It's all natural, they say -- given the inherent evilness of all forms of government, governments cannot take any credit for having helped to bring mankind into the 21st century. Your fallacy is...

Tell me, where do you go to buy Capitalism??

parag. 1: ad hominem

parag. 2: question begging (circularity)

parag. 3: straw man/argument by stereotype/misuse of website

parag. 4: non-sequitur
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:31:33 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2013, 10:36:20 PM by Rassah

OP: Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that.

For Capitalist markets to be possible, there needs to be some foundation in society to support them: civility, a common language, and people need to understand that trade could bring mutual benefits and that they shouldn't steal and so-forth. Do you dispute any of that? I would also argue that for those requirements to be met, there should also be some nominal amount of education and justice/organised dispute-resolution (and maybe other examples that I can't think of right now).

No one is disputing or claiming otherwise. They are just pointing out that things like language, civility, understanding of trade, and even education do not need a government to exist.
Rob E

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 10:32:55 PM
Last edit: January 07, 2013, 11:03:49 PM by Rob E

Well i think the social contract has worked for a very long time i don't think the " social contract " is a problem government with who we have a "social contract" with is. Rousseau said when the social contract has been broken it is the peoples duty to revolt. .meaning i think the  governmetn has certain responsibilities and attitudes that is to be kept towards their " subjects"  constituence or its people it is governing. When these are ethical people there is nothing wrong in giving up your rights of " taking law into your own hands". This is one of the rights you give up in a "social contract". It establishes law and order by hopefully giving it to some people who know a little bit more about law and order then you or me . .Of course when a whole government is corrupt to the hills. No justice is done . When a government is in tyranny here is no social contract any more. There is no justice.  So i think i think thats what Rousseau ment when he said when the social contract has been broken the people must revolt.  

There's probably a lot more that could be said on it. . But i don't think the social contract in itself is wrong.. "The legislative power belongs to the people, and can belong to it alone" .( rousseau )..   I mean i like it so far. .
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 11:07:42 PM

"Citizen" is defined as:
a native or naturalized member of a state or nation who owes allegiance to its government and is entitled to its protection

Since the state has no duty to protect, there is no debt of allegiance.

You are not a citizen. There is no "social contract." If you continue to bow to the state, you are a slave.

a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Rob E

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:45:14 PM

"Owe no duty" ??

WHAHA HAHHAHAHAA ..  I don't know that's an example of a break of a social contract if i ever saw one.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: