Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:49:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I?  (Read 712 times)
Indianacoin (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 06:00:58 PM

We all know that every address generated on the core wallet or on any other 3rd party wallets like Electrum, Mycellium etc. has a single extended public key (known as xPub) which acts like a master key holding all the addresses like a chain.
In fact we can find our own xPub from the wallet.

But how exactly can I find that xPub key for any other arbitrary wallets?
I know of walletexplorer.com as it can find the master keys of known companies and exchanges like Coinbase, LocalBitcoins.com, Crypto-Games.net etc. but not an individual's key who is actively using core wallet.

Any kind of help is much appreciated Smiley
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
January 31, 2016, 06:07:39 PM

We all know that every address generated on the core wallet or on any other 3rd party wallets like Electrum, Mycellium etc. has a single extended public key (known as xPub) which acts like a master key holding all the addresses like a chain.
Not true. Only some wallets support deterministic keys, and Bitcoin Core is not one of them. Bitcoin Core does not use deterministic keys like Electrum, Mycelium, and Multibit HD do. Not every wallet uses HD (hierarchical deterministic) keys. Wallets like Bitcoin Core still randomly generate all of their keys.

In fact we can find our own xPub from the wallet.

But how exactly can I find that xPub key for any other arbitrary wallets?
I know of walletexplorer.com as it can find the master keys of known companies and exchanges like Coinbase, LocalBitcoins.com, Crypto-Games.net etc. but not an individual's key who is actively using core wallet.

Any kind of help is much appreciated Smiley
walletexplorer.com does not know the master keys of companies. It determines wallets by looking for spend links, meaning that multiple addresses are involved in the inputs of a transaction. Since that transaction is able to successfully spend those inputs, then that indicates that the creator(s) of that transaction have access to the necessary private keys. This method is messed up by CoinJoin transactions.

This means that walletexplorer.com does not know the master public key if one for those wallets even exist. They are simply using spend linking. In fact, it is impossible to know the master key of a wallet unless someone tells you what it is. That is the nature of HD wallets.

bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 11:47:35 AM

Like already posted, Core does generate every Address randomly ( No HD Account like on other wallets).
Wallet basically contains a list of a BTC Address with the correspondending private key.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: