Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 10:50:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-01-31]People are betting on Trump, Hillary, and Sanders – with bitcoin  (Read 269 times)
ukeden (OP)

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 08:07:04 PM

Donald Trump is the Republican favorite to win the Iowa caucuses Monday. Some Americans are using bitcoin to bet on the outcome.
For decades the federal government has stopped Americans from gambling on the outcome of elections, such as Monday’s Iowa caucuses. And, for the most part, it’s succeeded.

Until now.

Last week, with astonishing ease, I was able to place a symbolic $1 bet on the outcome of Monday’s vote from downtown Boston. I was able to do so simply by using bitcoins, the new “cybercurrency,” and the Internet. It did not require any great technical know-how. It did not require any information beyond what I could learn via Google. And if I had wanted, I could have kept the entire process anonymous, to the point where an army of G-men couldn’t have caught me even if they had tried.

Good luck maintaining those gambling laws.

First, I walked into a store in Boston’s Chinatown and bought a bitcoin voucher issued by a company called LibertyX . Then I went online, deposited my new bitcoins into an online account known as a “wallet,” and transferred them to an online bitcoin bookmaker.

http://www.marketwatch.com/(S(rnrsydaynixa5x55oiibxm45))/story/this-is-how-you-can-make-money-on-the-iowa-caucuses-2016-01-31
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: