Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 11:18:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Load balancing over public WiFi  (Read 582 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 08:38:00 AM

I've been thinking about the efficiency of handling the blockchain over public WiFi. It occured to me that load balancing two connections to the same WiFi hub could give some speed improvements. I've never tried this, but I know it's available in Win 10 and Linux variants. I would use the internal connection in the notebook,  together with an antenna connected via a USB port. Actually being an avid do-it-yourselfer I might use a WokFi, but that is a different topic. Smiley Has anyone tried this using Bitcoin core, and would it give me any significant improvements?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 09:53:12 AM

It depends on many things. Is it the initial sync speed you wish to improve? Remember this also depends on the CPU and memory on your notebook. It might not be the WiFi connection that is the bottleneck. What speed is you internet connection? Is this the bottleneck? Or are you really sure it is the WiFi connection? If the traffic for both wifi adapters is on the same network, are you sure the overall speed will increase?

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 2462

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2016, 10:18:17 AM

I'm not really sure of anything. Smiley

At the moment, I don't have a problem as I can keep the blockchain up to date by running core two or three times a day. However, if I have to be off-line for a few days for any reason, then catching up can be a slow process. Also, I think this might help some members who are on limited bandwidth, and need to download the entire blockchain. My primary motivation is to extend the range of the WiFi. This would give me two WiFi connections, and I wondered if there was any advantage in combining them. According to the core network analyser. I get transfer speeds ranging between 20Kb/s and over 300Kb/s.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: