Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 10:05:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I will answer your nooby noob questions about bitcoin!  (Read 1792 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:12:24 AM

I am using electrum 1.6.0
I tried going to a free bitcoin website to see if my wallet address was working (one of the five that electrum gave me)
Seemed to work since I tried another address and "it said" you already have a deposit in your wallet.

The problem is the electrum client
When I first started it out, it was the expanded GUI client interface ,
Unfortunately now all I see is the small skin interface without the usual commands

After searching for the last two hours, I still don't know how to go back to that larger GUI screen as there are no buttons to indicate how to do that.

Any ideas ?
I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit)  and I am just starting my knowledge of linux and Ubuntu
but learn quickly.

argh, frustrating when all i see our posts about the code etc. which is above my head

you're going to have to post this one in the electrum thread.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
[lonewolf]

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:13:16 PM

hi there. could someone please point me to where i can learn about how the points and shares work on bitcoin.cz  i'm a little confused because sometimes my score and shares reset, sometimes my score will reset and i will still have a lot of shares or vise/versa, i am not losing connection either!
K1773R
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008

/dev/null

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:50:29 PM

thx, just did here:
/index.php?PHPSESSID=a24ef9fc544090ae81610c5508df5c00;topic=131762.new#new
very wise to submit ur SESSID...

[GPG Public Key]
BTC/DVC/TRC/FRC: 1K1773RbXRZVRQSSXe9N6N2MUFERvrdu6y ANC/XPM AK1773RTmRKtvbKBCrUu95UQg5iegrqyeA NMC: NK1773Rzv8b4ugmCgX789PbjewA9fL9Dy1 LTC: LKi773RBuPepQH8E6Zb1ponoCvgbU7hHmd EMC: EK1773RxUes1HX1YAGMZ1xVYBBRUCqfDoF BQC: bK1773R1APJz4yTgRkmdKQhjhiMyQpJgfN
ImNotHerb

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:13:12 AM

I have some questions that have to do with how new blocks are created and how the total number of bitcoins is ultimately limited to 21 million. I vaguely understand that new blocks are created through "solving a cryptographic problem" and that this takes an immense amount of computing power. But what I don't understand is what the cryptographic problem they solve is or how it was made part of the blockchain.

How exactly do the blocks fit together?

What is the information that is analyzed in order to create new blocks and how are they validated to become part of the blockchain? What are blocks checked against to know they are valid?

Could the entire 21 million BTC blockchain technically be solved only from information that was in the very first block or whatever algorithm is used for BTC? Would it be possible (in theory) for all of the information to be known by the creator/Satoshi by having a private key or something that forms the basis for the blockchain?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:27:29 AM

I have some questions that have to do with how new blocks are created and how the total number of bitcoins is ultimately limited to 21 million. I vaguely understand that new blocks are created through "solving a cryptographic problem" and that this takes an immense amount of computing power. But what I don't understand is what the cryptographic problem they solve is or how it was made part of the blockchain.

Wow, you don't ask for much, do you.  This is a huge topic.  Please start by reading the whitepaper...

http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

And come back with more specific questions....

Could the entire 21 million BTC blockchain technically be solved only from information that was in the very first block or whatever algorithm is used for BTC?

No.

Would it be possible (in theory) for all of the information to be known by the creator/Satoshi by having a private key or something that forms the basis for the blockchain?

No.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Kuzcsenrok

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:36:23 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 02:02:50 AM by Kuzcsenrok

Are bitcoins sent to a relaying address before they arrive? I've been trying to get my $500 worth of bitcoins for the last three weeks now. Yankee got the point of sending the amount of bitcoins, but as of now they're sitting in this address  http://blockchain.info/address/1NExi4V2xWoLBmbtDMgKWwPaTb49yMfcTG

Will this eventually get sent to my personal wallet? I did a moneygram order at my local walmart and something messed up with duplicate orders. The correct amount is in that account, but it's not mine. It's been a few hours now since it was sent, and just curious to know IF it's going to be sent.

Also it's at 50 confirmations right now? Is there a limit before its sent?
ImNotHerb

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:50:13 AM

Wow, you don't ask for much, do you.  This is a huge topic.  Please start by reading the whitepaper...

http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

And come back with more specific questions....
Haha I thought it might be a tall order!

Thanks for the link - I'll check out the white paper. Smiley
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4660

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 01:56:14 AM

I have some questions
Lots of questions there, I'll try and break it down into pieces.

The enitre system is peer-to-peer.  So everyone runs a client program that verifies that all the information it receives matches the rules of the protocol, and refuses to forward any information to anyone else if the information isn't valid.  This means that a single person (or group of people) can't add false information into the system because it won't get relayed.

how the total number of bitcoins is ultimately limited to 21 million
Satoshi started the block reward (given to the miners for "solving a block") at 50 BTC.  The protocol that every client uses makes sure that the block reward is cut in half every 210,000 blocks.  If you add up all the bitcoins that can be created as the reward gets smaller and smaller, you'll find that it will never exceed 21 million.

I vaguely understand that new blocks are created through "solving a cryptographic problem" and that this takes an immense amount of computing power. But what I don't understand is what the cryptographic problem they solve is
The miners gather up all the unconfirmed transactions that they want to include in a block. They package these together along with some headers and other useful information.  Then they calculate a 256 bit hash (SHA256).  This is actually a VERY fast and VERY easy (for a computer) thing to calculate. This hash has essentially a random numeric value between 0 and 1.158e+77 (a very big number).  The "difficulty" set by the protocol is a target number that the hash has to be less than.  If the hash isn't small enough, then the miner increments a value in the block called a nonce by 1 and recalculates the hash.  The miner repeats this process until the generated hash is small enough.  Due to the difficulty it can take on average about 13,200,000,000,000,000 hash calculations (today with the current difficulty) to find one that is lower than the target.  This takes about 10 minutes for some miner somewhere on the network to happen across.  One reason that a hash is so useful is that when the block is solved and published to the connected peers (and then relayed throughout the network) it is very fast and easy for each node to recalculate the hash with the given nonce to verify that it is the correct hash and that the value is low enough.  Another reason that the hash is so useful is that there is no known way to predict what the hash value is without calculating it.  There is now way to know what nonce will give you a low enough hash without trying each one.

how it was made part of the blockchain.
Once a miner solves a block, they tell all the connected peers.  Those peers just validate that the block meets all the rules of the protocol, append the block to the end of the blockchain file that they have, and then relay it on to all the peers that they are connected to.  Those peers do the same, and so on until every node has an updated blockchain.

How exactly do the blocks fit together?
Each new block is appended to the end of the blockchain file.  I mentioned earlier that each block has some other "useful information", one of those pieces of information is the hash of the previous block.  This means that the client can keep track of the "chain" by comparing the hash stored in each new block with the hash value of the previous block.  It also means that nobody can change any value at all in any earlier block (and convince the entire network that their new value is valid) without first recalculating hashes of enough difficulty of all the blocks that have come since then.  Since the "valid" blockchain is still being updated by the rest of the network you'd be chasing a moving target and have to have more hashing power than all of the bitcoin miners in the whole world combined to be able to regenerate blocks faster than they are generating new ones.

What is the information that is analyzed in order to create new blocks
Each unconfirmed transaction that a miner wants to include in a block is analyzed to make sure that it meets the requirements of the protocol, the nonce is incremented, and hashes are calculated and compared to the current network difficulty.

What are blocks checked against to know they are valid?
Blocks are checked for valid transactions, headers, and hashes.  (Valid meaning meeting the requirements of the protocol)

Could the entire 21 million BTC blockchain technically be solved only from information that was in the very first block or whatever algorithm is used for BTC?
No.  The blockchain contains all the bitcoin transactions that have ever occurred.  You'd have to have a list of those transactions and which block each was in to re-create the blockchain.  Even then, since the hashes are essentially random, your re-created blockchain wouldn't match the current one.

Would it be possible (in theory) for all of the information to be known by the creator/Satoshi by having a private key or something that forms the basis for the blockchain?
The transactions and the protocol are the basis of the blockchain.  It is not possible to know in advance what value to use for the hash.  The only way to figure that out is to iterate through the nonce and keep trying.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:02:00 AM

. . . I've been trying to get my $500 worth of bitcoins for the last three weeks now. Yankee got the point of sending the amount of bitcoins, but . . .
Try asking your question in the official BitInstant support thread.  It will likely be seen (and answered) by someone from BitInstant faster that way.

Here is a link to the support thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128314.0
Kuzcsenrok

Activity: 4

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:05:40 AM
Last edit: January 09, 2013, 02:30:35 AM by Kuzcsenrok

. . . I've been trying to get my $500 worth of bitcoins for the last three weeks now. Yankee got the point of sending the amount of bitcoins, but . . .
Try asking your question in the official BitInstant support thread.  It will likely be seen (and answered) by someone from BitInstant faster that way.

Here is a link to the support thread:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128314.0

It's pretty much resolved to this point other than this hiccup. I've exchanged private messages with Yankee already.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 02:13:30 AM

Hi
I am looking at bitcoin.  Learning slowly as I have been reading quite a bit about it.  My question is one of security and safety of the system and an individual's wallet.  My understanding is that if you lost your wallet or the data destroyed, you would lose your money forever.   Is a USB flashdrive susceptible to loss from an EMP attack?  Is the bitcoin service and servers sufficiently redundant around the world such that if there were an EMP attack in say the US and Europe, that the data and service would continue around the world?  I have read that optical storage on a CD drive would survive an EMP attack and thus preserve one's wallet.  Any comments?
thanks
r

for there to be an EMP attack... there would be war, as a result the internet would be shut down, also in you little mad max fantasy, imagine going to "Bartertown"  the guy says "how are you going to pay?", in the end you find out there are only two ways to pay in such an environment

1. Gold.
2. Services. (you have to sell your ass to a couple of convicts)

and NO a usbflash drive would NOT survive an EMP attack, the usb connectors would act as a high-band arial as would the bonding wires inside the Nand-flash chip package, the resulting charges would bit flip your nand-flash memory cells, since they are a function of charge level stored on a very high impedance gate.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
QuantumKiwi

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 02:34:31 AM

Hi
I am looking at bitcoin.  Learning slowly as I have been reading quite a bit about it.  My question is one of security and safety of the system and an individual's wallet.  My understanding is that if you lost your wallet or the data destroyed, you would lose your money forever.   Is a USB flashdrive susceptible to loss from an EMP attack?  Is the bitcoin service and servers sufficiently redundant around the world such that if there were an EMP attack in say the US and Europe, that the data and service would continue around the world?  I have read that optical storage on a CD drive would survive an EMP attack and thus preserve one's wallet.  Any comments?
thanks
r

for there to be an EMP attack... there would be war, as a result the internet would be shut down, also in you little mad max fantasy, imagine going to "Bartertown"  the guy says "how are you going to pay?", in the end you find out there are only two ways to pay in such an environment

1. Gold.

and NO a usbflash drive would NOT survive an EMP attack, the usb connectors would act as a high-band arial as would the bonding wires inside the Nand-flash chip package, the resulting charges would bit flip your nand-flash memory cells, since they are a function of charge level stored on a very high impedance gate.

What about devices and networks not effected by the EMP?

Starting your own website?
CLOUD Hosting from $4.95/0.05BTC!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 02:41:48 AM

. . . imagine going to "Bartertown"  the guy says "how are you going to pay?", in the end you find out there are only two ways to pay in such an environment

1. Gold.

. . .

Given the scenario described, I doubt many people will be interested in gold in the early years of bartering.  I suspect the only items of value will be those needed for survival: Food, fresh water, weapons, ammunition, and maybe building supplies.
hardcore-fs

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 02:41:58 AM

Hi
thanks
r

1. Gold.

What about devices and networks not effected by the EMP?

Depends how the front end is protected and the device shielded, but it matters fuck all, if the local ISP/telicom operators shit is fried.
But it is still going to be  a "get ur ass out down in bartertown" scenario, because it is unlikely that the other traders would give a shit about 'bitcoin', even though the majority of survivors WOULD be past bit-coin business men/traders etc.

hardcore-fs

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 02:45:06 AM

. . . imagine going to "Bartertown"  the guy says "how are you going to pay?", in the end you find out there are only two ways to pay in such an environment

1. Gold.

. . .

Given the scenario described, I doubt many people will be interested in gold in the early years of bartering.  I suspect the only items of value will be those needed for survival: Food, fresh water, weapons, ammunition, and maybe building supplies.

Only need to look at the run-up to the last world war and events after it to see the pattern, wasn't much call for "building supplies" until WAY after, same with ammo & weapons.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: