Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 03:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the greatest threat to Bitcoin? Some possible technical problem or gov?  (Read 2781 times)
felipelalli (OP)

Activity: 229
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 04:39:00 AM

If is possible technical problem, what is this? I heard on Reddit and Facebook some worries about transfers/sec. Is it a real threat?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 04:47:51 AM

If is possible technical problem, what is this? I heard on Reddit and Facebook some worries about transfers/sec. Is it a real threat?

Thanks!

ya its a problem "they" know about and are working on.

there's all kinds of threats bitcoin needs to tackle, so ya... you need some balls to jump in this pound  Cool

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 05:07:46 AM

Technically, the protocol is still in beta.

Still around.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 07:08:32 AM

These aren't in any particular order:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 09:46:30 AM

These aren't in any particular order:

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Weaknesses

While I greatly appreciate the availability of such a weaknesses list, I feel that the risks are somewhat downplayed. 
For example the 51% attack is listed as "probably not a problem", but I still think of it as a serious risk (maybe there are other much easier ways to attack the network, frankly I don't know much about the technical side).  It is assumed that the attacker seeks profit within the bitcoin system, whereas I would expect this kind of attack from a system competing with bitcoin, which would avoid losing market share to bitcoin.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 09:47:48 AM

Thanks!
This questions is asked a million times per day, search the forums next time.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:24:20 PM

Idiots.

Idiots have always been and to this day remain the main threat to anything man made. Idiots infiltrating the US Gov't have pretty much doomed that enterprise, at one point the most successful thing on God's green Earth. Idiots infiltrating Bitcoin have nigh on brought it to its knees already.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
furrycoat

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 07:29:17 PM

Idiots.

Idiots have always been and to this day remain the main threat to anything man made. Idiots infiltrating the US Gov't have pretty much doomed that enterprise, at one point the most successful thing on God's green Earth. Idiots infiltrating Bitcoin have nigh on brought it to its knees already.

+1 agree 100%
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 07:44:38 PM

Idiots infiltrating the US Gov't have pretty much doomed that enterprise, at one point the most successful thing on God's green Earth.
What are you talking about? The US Government is at the peak of its success right now. The are collectively the most successful band of thieves the world has ever seen.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 06, 2013, 10:58:10 PM

Idiots.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 11:22:44 PM

Locked bootloaders and DRM. Example Apple IOS (iPod/iphone/iPad), Windows 8 RT on ARM with UEFI locked bootloaders, locked Android devices where the end users does not have root access etc.  The security model of Bitcoin is based upon individual users having complete control over their computing devices in order to have a truly distributed network. Now if one turns over this control to a centralized authority in order to enforce DRM then this opens up the possibility for all sorts of 51% attacks by a centralized authority. For example the US Government instructing Microsoft, Apple and Google to use DRM to paralyse the Bitcoin network.

The best countermeasure is the GPL v3, and insist on root access for owner of the device. This means GNU/Linux and in mobile the new Ubuntu phone OS will be an excellent choice. I will go as far as to suggest using GNU/Linux over Microsoft Windows for Bitcoin mining and for running full Bitcoin nodes for this reason.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
felipelalli (OP)

Activity: 229
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:20:04 AM

I'm sorry if I repeated the question. BUT I think you guys did not understand me very well. I said if we have a real *imminent* problem or not. Just that.  Huh

Thanks for who reply nicely and ./. to who was rude.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:26:00 AM

Locked bootloaders and DRM. Example Apple IOS (iPod/iphone/iPad), Windows 8 RT on ARM with UEFI locked bootloaders, locked Android devices where the end users does not have root access etc.  The security model of Bitcoin is based upon individual users having complete control over their computing devices in order to have a truly distributed network. Now if one turns over this control to a centralized authority in order to enforce DRM then this opens up the possibility for all sorts of 51% attacks by a centralized authority. For example the US Government instructing Microsoft, Apple and Google to use DRM to paralyse the Bitcoin network.

The best countermeasure is the GPL v3, and insist on root access for owner of the device. This means GNU/Linux and in mobile the new Ubuntu phone OS will be an excellent choice. I will go as far as to suggest using GNU/Linux over Microsoft Windows for Bitcoin mining and for running full Bitcoin nodes for this reason.

These are actually a very good points.

You can't really be into Bitcoin and Windows/Apple at the same time. You kind of have to pick one.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:24:43 PM

While I greatly appreciate the availability of such a weaknesses list, I feel that the risks are somewhat downplayed. 
For example the 51% attack is listed as "probably not a problem", but I still think of it as a serious risk (maybe there are other much easier ways to attack the network, frankly I don't know much about the technical side).  It is assumed that the attacker seeks profit within the bitcoin system, whereas I would expect this kind of attack from a system competing with bitcoin, which would avoid losing market share to bitcoin.

Risk factors are pretty much subjective. It is a wiki though, if you feel that way try editing it Smiley

stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
January 18, 2013, 02:15:00 PM

You can't really be into Bitcoin and Windows/Apple at the same time. You kind of have to pick one.

Well, once the hardware token is ready (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=122438.0) you'll be able to use these (non-Linux, where you are not in full control) devices as well.

Isokivi

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com

View Profile WWW
January 18, 2013, 02:28:16 PM

In my mind a full scale world war seems like the biggest threat.

Bitcoin trinkets now on my online store: btc trinkets.com <- Bitcoin Tiepins, cufflinks, lapel pins, keychains, card holders and challenge coins.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 12:59:38 AM

In my mind a full scale world war seems like the biggest threat.

Make it an atomic world war and Im in.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: