Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:06:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geeks and Wallstreet  (Read 1346 times)
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1031

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 02:55:10 PM

Geeks: Here's the internet. It changes everything.
Wallstreet: Nifty! Here's billions of dollars!!
Geeks: Wow, thanks! Changing everything can be really profitable. What can we do next? . . .

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:07:12 PM

Geeks: Here's bitcoin. It changes everything.
Everyone Else: We don't get it, we're more comfortable with our soft green toilet paper.
Geeks: Cool, more for me!

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 03:10:25 PM

My personal opinion is that when wall street truly gets it, the bitcoin speculative bubble will make the internet bubble look tiny in comparison.

MarketNeutral

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:17:49 PM

Wall Street is watching bitcoin very closely. They're waiting for more mature exchanges, deeper liquidity vis-a-vis market makers, and for their compliance officers to get up to speed. Some have probably jumped in already with their own money.
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:18:08 PM

My personal opinion is that when wall street truly gets it, the bitcoin speculative bubble will make the internet bubble look tiny in comparison.

True, but they won't be happy the 1-block-per-ten-minute throttle will effectively kill any attempt to build a High Frequency Trading system. I on the other hand, am ecstatic about that fact.

dacoinminster (OP)
Legendary

Rational Exuberance

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 03:24:02 PM

True, but they won't be happy the 1-block-per-ten-minute throttle will effectively kill any attempt to build a High Frequency Trading system. I on the other hand, am ecstatic about that fact.

Sorry to disappoint you, but HFT will definitely be possible on the black market exchanges. They will just use bitcoin to get the money in and out.

tymothy

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:32:51 PM

THIS. Everyone bombard Jim Cramer on Mad Money and get him to talk about it.
realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:39:10 PM

Within an exchange, trades are not done on the bitcoin block chain, so there is no ten-minute limit.

It's not inconceivable that should Wall Street get involved, that multiple exchanges will get together and have credit agreements that allow you to transfer between them instantly too -- again outside the block chain.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:39:36 PM

THIS. Everyone bombard Jim Cramer on Mad Money and get him to talk about it.

No.  Please don't.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:41:17 PM

Maybe I don't understand how a HFT system works, but isn't it already possible to make as many trades as you like as quickly as you like within an exchange, irrelevant of the speed of new blocks?  Or is it some form of arbitrage?
TraderTimm
Legendary

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:55:58 PM

How are they going to settle their trades then? In US dollars? That would be hilarious. High Frequency Trading depends on rapid price changes, and exchange kickbacks, or 'rebates'. I don't see Mt. Gox catering to that, and when they have to settle up at the end of the day, they'll have to wait for confirmations on their BTC.

Don't see how it is viable for HFT to creep into the system using BTC in any fashion.

Tanu10

Activity: 79
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2018, 06:03:16 AM

some have probably jumped in already with their own money and they will justuse bitcoin to get the money in and out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: