Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:26:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why I liquidated my FRC  (Read 2231 times)
wormbog (OP)

Activity: 561
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 01:15:23 AM

I'm a fan of alternate crypto and hold small amounts of various kinds in the (very unlikely) event that they will someday become widely used and more valuable. If anyone wants to buy some BBQcoin, just let me know. Smiley

But I sold off most of my FRC this evening, and I'm going to leave this blockchain alone for a few reasons:

1. Sending 80% of mining output to a Foundation is just a bad idea. The tiny minority of people who even know about cryptocurrency are already highly suspicious of central authorities that claim to be working for the good of the community. Our lack of faith in central oversight is what drew us to crypto in the first place. Plus, we've all see the bitcoin community beset with scammers, ponzi scheme operators, and several big wallet heists. Even if we have faith that a Foundation has our best interests at heart, one careless or corrupt member can blow it for everyone.

2. The Foundation should have firmly established goals and milestones before the blockchain went public. Who are the Foundation members? What is their vision for FRC? Who's working on the fundamental infrastructure, like a currency exchange? When asked, Foundation members say, "come join the community and you can help set the agenda!" The Foundation needs a clear vision and a roadmap to achieve it so people can get excited about contributing.

3. There should have been an exchange opened when the blockchain when public. Nobody knows what FRC are actually worth. So why would anyone want to spend the time writing up a formal grant proposal, then execute their project, when their payment may be worthless?

4. FRC is designed to discourage hoarding. As a result, anyone with coins is motivated to get rid of them ASAP. I originally planned to buy a few thousand FRC and offer to buy goods with them to help stimulate the fledgling economy. But as other people accumulate coins they'll want to get rid of them too. The constant selling pressure will keep the exchange rate dropping with no end in site. As more coins enter the market the price will fall even further.

5. The demurrage feature is way too visible for the average person to ever embrace. As I've held FRC in my wallet I've watched my balance steadily creep down each day. It's discouraging. I buy 1000 coins today, and tomorrow I've got 999. My gut reaction is get rid of the coins before they "go bad". Even though I know intellectually that my fiat is depreciating, psychologically the in-your-face demurrage of FRC makes me want to literally "pass the buck" to someone else as soon as I can.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 02:34:59 AM

Congrats to you decision.
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:38:11 AM

How much BTC did you make from your Freicoin liquidation, if you don't mind sharing?
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:40:38 AM

How much BTC did you make from your Freicoin liquidation, if you don't mind sharing?

Im not the one to answer but look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=135079.0
This is from where i made the calculation on the other thread Smiley
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 03:10:40 AM

That's why fish, fruits, and veggies never became currency, they go bad fast.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 03:11:13 AM

lol  Cheesy
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:06:52 AM

+1 hot potato...hurry up and spend your frc!!! lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:16:50 AM

In fact fish was the first money in Norway, according to Alexander del Mar in "A history of money in ancient countries from the earliest times to the present" (1885). Fish was followed by vadmel (a form of cloth), then baugs (diverse metal rings), then coins.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 05:28:53 AM

In fact fish was the first money in Norway, according to Alexander del Mar in "A history of money in ancient countries from the earliest times to the present" (1885). Fish was followed by vadmel (a form of cloth), then baugs (diverse metal rings), then coins.

Didn't they dry their fish? Cuz dried fish is pretty conservable.
xxjs

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:36:28 AM

Probably dried yes. It can last for several years, and is easily traded. By the way one of the fishes were scat, maybe ethymologically the same as scot as in "scot free" (without incurring payment). Also later som coins were called scat.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:38:16 AM

I'm a fan of alternate crypto and hold small amounts of various kinds in the (very unlikely) event that they will someday become widely used and more valuable. If anyone wants to buy some BBQcoin, just let me know. Smiley

But I sold off most of my FRC this evening, and I'm going to leave this blockchain alone for a few reasons:

1. Sending 80% of mining output to a Foundation is just a bad idea. The tiny minority of people who even know about cryptocurrency are already highly suspicious of central authorities that claim to be working for the good of the community. Our lack of faith in central oversight is what drew us to crypto in the first place. Plus, we've all see the bitcoin community beset with scammers, ponzi scheme operators, and several big wallet heists. Even if we have faith that a Foundation has our best interests at heart, one careless or corrupt member can blow it for everyone.

2. The Foundation should have firmly established goals and milestones before the blockchain went public. Who are the Foundation members? What is their vision for FRC? Who's working on the fundamental infrastructure, like a currency exchange? When asked, Foundation members say, "come join the community and you can help set the agenda!" The Foundation needs a clear vision and a roadmap to achieve it so people can get excited about contributing.

3. There should have been an exchange opened when the blockchain when public. Nobody knows what FRC are actually worth. So why would anyone want to spend the time writing up a formal grant proposal, then execute their project, when their payment may be worthless?

4. FRC is designed to discourage hoarding. As a result, anyone with coins is motivated to get rid of them ASAP. I originally planned to buy a few thousand FRC and offer to buy goods with them to help stimulate the fledgling economy. But as other people accumulate coins they'll want to get rid of them too. The constant selling pressure will keep the exchange rate dropping with no end in site. As more coins enter the market the price will fall even further.

5. The demurrage feature is way too visible for the average person to ever embrace. As I've held FRC in my wallet I've watched my balance steadily creep down each day. It's discouraging. I buy 1000 coins today, and tomorrow I've got 999. My gut reaction is get rid of the coins before they "go bad". Even though I know intellectually that my fiat is depreciating, psychologically the in-your-face demurrage of FRC makes me want to literally "pass the buck" to someone else as soon as I can.

1. Possibly, dumping FRC is one option the second would be to get involved in the foundation.
2. Agreed to a point.
3. Agreed to a point.
4. Agreed to a point.
5. It is working obviously at is intended. To create velocity.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
xxjs

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:02:38 AM

We ain't need no fucking velocity!
wormbog (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 12:27:35 PM

Overall I spent 2 BTC and traded 15K PPC to acquire 20K FRC. I sold it all for 6.4 BTC. I took a small loss to liquidate.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 12:40:13 PM

Speed  kills.
FuzzyBear
Legendary

Activity: 1420
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 12:50:20 PM

Probably dried yes. It can last for several years, and is easily traded. By the way one of the fishes were scat, maybe ethymologically the same as scot as in "scot free" (without incurring payment). Also later som coins were called scat.

I want a SCAT coin.... then i'd be.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYF-Q8Sw26o

what's it worth in FRC?? Tongue

***** Earn DEV at http://devtome.com *****
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 01:17:48 PM

Overall I spent 2 BTC and traded 15K PPC to acquire 20K FRC. I sold it all for 6.4 BTC. I took a small loss to liquidate.

The price of PPCoin has fallen by about 10% in the last few days. I don't know that you lost that much. 4.66125 BTC for your PPCoin and 2 BTC makes 6.7 BTC.

So you lost .3 BTC but instead you're sitting in the much more liquid BTC.

If you were looking to get out of risk (altcoins) I think you are a good trader to make so many transactions in a short time and only lose 0.3 BTC.
wormbog (OP)

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 01:45:41 PM

The price of PPCoin has fallen by about 10% in the last few days. I don't know that you lost that much. 4.66125 BTC for your PPCoin and 2 BTC makes 6.7 BTC.

So you lost .3 BTC but instead you're sitting in the much more liquid BTC.

If you were looking to get out of risk (altcoins) I think you are a good trader to make so many transactions in a short time and only lose 0.3 BTC.

Thanks! In fact, I bought most of my PPC back in mid-October when it was trading for .00015. And I bought the PPC with the proceeds from the sale of a small position in LTC when the rate inexplicably spiked over .007. So overall the alt-coins have been a profitable experience for me. I still hope one of them will take off for use beyond speculation but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
xxjs

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:09:57 PM

I want a SCAT coin.... then i'd be.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYF-Q8Sw26o

what's it worth in FRC?? Tongue

Difficult to find pictures of scat coins on the net, but they are mentioned in text. Maybe the connection to fish money is not correct. I can not be troubled to look through Alexanders book again.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 03:23:35 PM

Blew that line from the movie badly. Ya u did.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Evolvex

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 07:43:24 PM

I dont know much about FRC but..

So, they have a "best before" date, Is that a cryptocurrency first  Grin - dont think I'll bother with FRC, seems like a shitcoin (or maybe its the model the government will take one day - sounds like a tax!).

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: