Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:08:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-01-06 edandethan.com - Show 40 with Chris Ferreira and Charlie Shrem  (Read 2297 times)
julz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 04:10:48 AM

Ed and Ethan Show 40 with Chris Ferreira and Charlie Shrem

2013-01-06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHond-XHK4
Audio
Bitcoin discussion begins at about the 2Hr mark.

After we talk to Chris, we talk to Charlie Shrem, CEO of Bit Instant, a company that facilitates the exchange of bitcoins. We get a more in depth explanation of how bitcoin works and what sort of a future bitcoin may have. How could the government shut down bitcoin if it wanted to, how can the rules that govern the currency be changed and will we always have bitccoin around? This and more on bitcoin when we chat with Charlie.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 11:11:31 AM

Ed and Ethan Show 40 with Chris Ferreira and Charlie Shrem

2013-01-06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHond-XHK4
Audio
Bitcoin discussion begins at about the 2Hr mark.

After we talk to Chris, we talk to Charlie Shrem, CEO of Bit Instant, a company that facilitates the exchange of bitcoins. We get a more in depth explanation of how bitcoin works and what sort of a future bitcoin may have. How could the government shut down bitcoin if it wanted to, how can the rules that govern the currency be changed and will we always have bitccoin around? This and more on bitcoin when we chat with Charlie.

Link to the timestamp (added &t=2h):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVHond-XHK4&t=2h

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 08:39:12 PM

listening to Charlies explanation attempts I am shocked to realized how many falsehoods or at least half-truths one has to use to avoid overcomplicating things and confusing the hell out of your listener.

EDIT: well, saying the block reward is 50 BTC is uneccesary, though.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 11:37:11 PM

listening to Charlies explanation attempts I am shocked to realized how many falsehoods or at least half-truths one has to use to avoid overcomplicating things and confusing the hell out of your listener.

Like?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 12:05:26 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2013, 12:35:36 AM by julz

Like?

Like.. was this recorded before the block reward drop or something?

At approx 2:10
Charlie: Right now the miners get paid from the 50 Bitcoins that are rewarded in every single block.. and like you said - that gets smaller.

Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 03:04:34 AM

Like?

Like.. was this recorded before the block reward drop or something?

At approx 2:10
Charlie: Right now the miners get paid from the 50 Bitcoins that are rewarded in every single block.. and like you said - that gets smaller.

Im pretty sure that Ive explained we passed the halving, maybe I was going over the information.

What else?

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 03:41:19 AM

Charlie,  You 've been practicing!

You started off so well. 

But you said Bitcoin was NOT a currency in the beginning the  2 minutes later you say it is a currency.

You're on the phone.  Write this shit down!

love

BCB
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 03:44:02 AM

Charlie,  You 've been practicing!

You started off so well. 

But you said Bitcoin was NOT a currency in the beginning the  2 minutes later you say it is a currency.

You're on the phone.  Write this shit down!

love

BCB

LOL!

Thats not what I said!

I said "To understand it, dont put labels like currency on it yet" I was trying to help people understand it without putting a label on it

Charlie

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 04:01:23 AM

Dude,

You are killing me!

Gavin was Satoshi's successor (NOT predecessor!)

Also,

Bitcoin was created by a cryptographer or a group of cryptographers who took on the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamato. 

Don't just say Satoshi  disappeared.  It sounds like someone killed him!  How could they kill him when he never really existed.

After launching the bitcoin project Satoshi passed the torch on to his successor Gavin Andressen who is currently the lead developer of the bitcoin open source project.

Have you butty vorhees write this stuff down for you.  Seriously.

People listen to this shit!
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 04:03:39 AM

Gavin was Satoshi's successor (NOT predecessor!)

I used the wrong word, but corrected myself later.

Bitcoin was created by a cryptographer or a group of cryptographers who took on the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamato. 

Don't just say Satoshi  disappeared.  It sounds like someone killed him!  How could they kill him when he never really existed.

Thats solely your opinion, some people believe it was 1 person, some people believe it was many.

After launching the bitcoin project Satoshi passed the torch on to his successor Gavin Andressen who is currently the lead developer of the bitcoin open source project.

Thats what I said!

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

BCJ

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 04:15:24 AM

"I give up!"

++1
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 04:17:35 AM

"I give up!"

++1

lol, in the end you are correct. Im put in a position where people listen, so I need to make sure 15000% everything I say is accurate.

molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 06:33:17 AM

Like?

see my youtube comment:

Quote from: molecular@youtube
charlie, good job on explaining. However, you need to check some of your facts, I think, especially on the technical side:

* bitcoin makes no use of RSA. It uses ECDSA for signatures and SHA256 for proof of work
* the block reward is not BTC 50. It just halfed in early November to 25 BTC
* 600,000 miners (parts of distributed computer) seems awfully high to me. I'd guess more like 20 to 30,000

All this doesn't invalidate your points, though. Thanks for your work.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 06:51:32 AM

lol, in the end you are correct. Im put in a position where people listen, so I need to make sure 15000% everything I say is accurate.

I think you did a great job. It is very difficult to explain bitcoin in layman's terms. Thank god they didn't interview Amir Taaki.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 07:01:07 AM

I think you did a great job. It is very difficult to explain bitcoin in layman's terms. Thank god they didn't interview Amir Taaki.

Amir tends to slip towards talking about free software and freedom in general. This is also not a bad approach because this is one of the main reasons for bitcoin.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:31:09 AM

It's definitely hard to talk well about Bitcoin, very good job imo. I'd never heard these guys, they sound a lot like FTL.

The network does not adjust to reduced mining power in 10 minutes, in fact it can take much longer than 2 weeks.

There is no reason to wait for more than 6 confirmations even for an enormous transaction. Your partner is absolutely not going to have ~45% mining power and count on luck to go faster than the network for 6 blocks. He can either rollback 30 as easily as 6 or he can't roll back 6. It's a much smaller 'lie' to say that 6 is solid than it is to say there are no fees.

The no fee claim bothers me but I know from previous conversations that you are fairly set on it.

If you had gotten into discussing mining like they wanted to you might have been in a sticky spot when they asked about mining incentive after the reward drops to zero, which it does btw, you seemed to imply that you thought it would get ever smaller without going to zero though I think you only said that it would not reach 21M, which is true (caused by reward going to zero, not getting infinitely smaller).

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 08:25:15 AM

It's definitely hard to talk well about Bitcoin, very good job imo. I'd never heard these guys, they sound a lot like FTL.

The network does not adjust to reduced mining power in 10 minutes, in fact it can take much longer than 2 weeks.

There is no reason to wait for more than 6 confirmations even for an enormous transaction. Your partner is absolutely not going to have ~45% mining power and count on luck to go faster than the network for 6 blocks. He can either rollback 30 as easily as 6 or he can't roll back 6. It's a much smaller 'lie' to say that 6 is solid than it is to say there are no fees.

The no fee claim bothers me but I know from previous conversations that you are fairly set on it.

If you had gotten into discussing mining like they wanted to you might have been in a sticky spot when they asked about mining incentive after the reward drops to zero, which it does btw, you seemed to imply that you thought it would get ever smaller without going to zero though I think you only said that it would not reach 21M, which is true (caused by reward going to zero, not getting infinitely smaller).

You pretty much hit all my complaints, although even if he was right about it getting infinitely smaller (which would be possible if we kept extending the number of decimals) it still not reach 21M.  The sum of 1/2^n with n from 1 to infinity converges to 1.  The bitcoin creation can be thought of as 21,000,000/2^n coins each four year period, so it will still never exceed 21M if we extend the divisibility infinitely.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
julz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:59:25 AM

You pretty much hit all my complaints, although even if he was right about it getting infinitely smaller (which would be possible if we kept extending the number of decimals) it still not reach 21M.  The sum of 1/2^n with n from 1 to infinity converges to 1.  The bitcoin creation can be thought of as 21,000,000/2^n coins each four year period, so it will still never exceed 21M if we extend the divisibility infinitely.

My recollection of high school maths tells me that it might be described as 'asymptotically' approaching 21 M.
Is the word asymptote really too geeky for general use?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 10:17:42 AM

Right, if it halved forever it would fail to reach it because of asymptotes blah blah. But in reality it fails to reach it because of adding.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 12:36:52 PM

Guys don't be so hard on Charlie. Charlie did a really really great job and should not stress about details. I'm sure he has best intentions to find a good balance between relaxed talking and accurate information.

You are seriously discussing now if we will assymptotically reach 21,000,000Ƀ or if we will stop at 20,999,999.9999999Ƀ.
Saying "No Fees" vs. "Very small fees" also is a political decision that some favor the one over the other for their agenda. It's not like he wouldn't know these details. If you feel like he doesn't know the difference between successor and predecessor (seriously?) mention it, else please relax a bit about a great interview.

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: