Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:51:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Making my own miner  (Read 1080 times)
vitta (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 2

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 04:59:50 PM

Hi, I'd like to know how to make my own miners (not for selling) using the new 16nm mining chip from bitfury. What resources would be needed? How much time would it take?
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
quakefiend420
Legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:23:03 PM

The fact that you're starting off asking the question in this manner suggests that you're nowhere near qualified.  Not being an ass, just being truthful.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:09:09 AM

Start by contacting Bitfury and asking for the following:

1) Specifications for their chip.

2) What it will cost to purchase chips.

3) When they would be able to deliver those to you.

Don't be surprised if they don't answer you unless you have at least a million USD to interest them. If you can answer the above questions, then please come back and ask more questions. You probably will have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (aka NDA) before they provide this information to you.

Best of luck.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:40:51 AM

Start by contacting Bitfury and asking for the following:

1) Specifications for their chip.

2) What it will cost to purchase chips.

3) When they would be able to deliver those to you.

Don't be surprised if they don't answer you unless you have at least a million USD to interest them. If you can answer the above questions, then please come back and ask more questions. You probably will have to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (aka NDA) before they provide this information to you.

Best of luck.

I'm not sure how they separate it out but you really do need a sizable amount for them to look at you now.   And it will take a NDA without a doubt that you lose a huge amount if you leak info.   That is how they protect their info ...... which they have done very well.  So one would assume these are good nda's.

NDA's are very common when you want to get chips though.   And I think you will see if you read sidehack's threads how it's gotten harder and harder to get chips.  He is using chips taken off boards, you might contact him as I see him as a expert in getting chips in these hard times.
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 02:05:37 AM

Roughly speaking you will need a 7 figure investment to make it happen.. The money and qualified resources to deliver are the hardest things to find..

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
AJRGale

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 03:10:01 AM

This question has been asked several times on here, do a little searching to find the answer..

Its basically a hard game to play, you need:

The gems themselves, the ASICS, with all required documentation. (you could always start by ripping some older generation ASICs off a dead miner)
electronics engineering skills (got 4 years of university education?)
programming skills (C, C++, what ever is needed to make the microcontroller to talk to both host and ASIC)
PCB Manufacturing tools (you need more then copper clad and etching tank)

so what do you have?

If I was in your shoes, I'd look into reviving dead miners, or get a few U3s, rip the old micro off, and get, say, a Teensy to talk to the chips, try and make it more stable.
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:51:09 AM

Roughly speaking you will need a 7 figure investment to make it happen.. The money and qualified resources to deliver are the hardest things to find..

with good people and knowledge of the industry you could probably get away with mid to high 6 figures (assuming you already build some sort of electronics somewhere)

but no to op, you can not build your own amazing mining machines for a few bucks.  that being said i hope by late summer you should be able to buy the chip tapes in small numbers on the open market (it will be too late then for profit).
marvykkio

Activity: 798

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:00:38 AM

the world almost to the bitcoin is now its end, if the price does not increase significantly, we are all dead, including BTC, and end user
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:37:09 PM

Do you know how to run:

wajtgafrtyuh-8430rwubjfsokd32quyhj   through the SHA-256 algo?  if you don't, you stand no chance.

As the 2nd post says... just the questions kind of tells the tail.. no offense.. it is going to be very complicated.
Mitak

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:06:50 PM

the world almost to the bitcoin is now its end, if the price does not increase significantly, we are all dead, including BTC, and end user
I  dare to think you are wrong Wink
IMHO is that significant increase will bring back on board all the greedy people , that just want fast and fat profit.
They all do not care if it is from digital currency or from planting rice .
Of course to low price  less than 100 is going to kill BTC too
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:36:54 PM

I  dare to think you are wrong Wink
IMHO is that significant increase will bring back on board all the greedy people , that just want fast and fat profit.
They all do not care if it is from digital currency or from planting rice .
Of course to low price  less than 100 is going to kill BTC too

I think hes referring to the difficulty changes.  His version is a little "doom and gloom" but possibly accurate.   If we keep getting big difficulty changes either price needs to rise, or difficulty stop jumping for most miners.

The huge big money operations yes likely can operate when most home/hobby can't on price.   Just watch mining and price next few difficulties really price needs to go up for this rate of expansion.  This week we might possibly get 20+ on difficulty.... that is a cray number.
epichaberdasher

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:30:50 AM

The huge big money operations yes likely can operate when most home/hobby can't on price.   Just watch mining and price next few difficulties really price needs to go up for this rate of expansion.  This week we might possibly get 20+ on difficulty.... that is a cray number.

I don't agree at all with this, lower price affects the big companies more. Sure they can mine at lower cost per TH than a hobbyist, but a big company cannot mine at a loss for any sustainable period because they are in it for profit only, they lose millions when they mine at a loss due t sheer scale of overhead costs. They have no intention to support the network so they can only mine at loss long enough to hope they can ride it out.

A hobbyist miner mines at an insanely high cost per TH by comparison, in most cases they are close to break even or loss. But the loss is a few dollars a month, something that any hobbyist miner with another income can sustain indefinitely, since they mine for fun and for the support of the concept.

Now a small business miner is a different story from a hobbyist, guys who have a few hundred TH trying to make a profit, this is a dead/dying group these guys simply will not survive any low BTC values, their cost is much higher than a big mining company that is making its own hardware yet they are also mining as a business. They have no choice but to wait until the huge corps allow them to buy more efficient hardware.

As a hobbyist myself, i actually would love the BTC rate to plummet, cause i can run at a loss for as long as i want, and it will be pretty entertaining to see the big greedy Chinese corps struggle to stay afloat at sustained low prices. BTC will never die, the worst that can happen is that it falls out of favour with big business (the same people that are destroying the network anyway and also refusing to sell us hardware to compete with them as a truely free digital economy and distribute the network as Satoshi intended).

xqus

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 12:14:36 PM

I don't agree at all with this, lower price affects the big companies more. Sure they can mine at lower cost per TH than a hobbyist, but a big company cannot mine at a loss for any sustainable period because they are in it for profit only, they lose millions when they mine at a loss due t sheer scale of overhead costs. They have no intention to support the network so they can only mine at loss long enough to hope they can ride it out.

A hobbyist miner mines at an insanely high cost per TH by comparison, in most cases they are close to break even or loss. But the loss is a few dollars a month, something that any hobbyist miner with another income can sustain indefinitely, since they mine for fun and for the support of the concept.

Now a small business miner is a different story from a hobbyist, guys who have a few hundred TH trying to make a profit, this is a dead/dying group these guys simply will not survive any low BTC values, their cost is much higher than a big mining company that is making its own hardware yet they are also mining as a business. They have no choice but to wait until the huge corps allow them to buy more efficient hardware.

As a hobbyist myself, i actually would love the BTC rate to plummet, cause i can run at a loss for as long as i want, and it will be pretty entertaining to see the big greedy Chinese corps struggle to stay afloat at sustained low prices. BTC will never die, the worst that can happen is that it falls out of favour with big business (the same people that are destroying the network anyway and also refusing to sell us hardware to compete with them as a truely free digital economy and distribute the network as Satoshi intended).

I agree. I would even mine more if the price drops, just to make life difficult for the big mining corps.  Cool

PGP fingerprint: B17233A1 || Bitrated user: xqus ≡ Free trust agent || LocalBitcoins ≡ Buy bitcoins locally
Wallet and Exchange security ≡ A security overview of wallets and exchanges. (forum thread)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: