Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 12:57:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin.org and weusecoins.com in other languages  (Read 6026 times)
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1097

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:39:56 PM

Today I read a Chinese blog discussing bitcoin: http://blog.qq.com/qzone/622007907/1341497503.htm

The most interesting part is the reader's comment: 5 out of 20 comments complain that they can't read the English websites.

According to wikipedia, Chinese is the most widely spoken language in the world, followed by English and Spanish. The number of Chinese internet users has surpassed the total population of the US. For historical and technical reasons the web is dominated by English. As a global and decentralized currency, however, bitcoin should serve the needs of non-English users.

Therefore, I propose the 2 major entry websites: bitcoin.org and weusecoins.com should be fully translated to non-English languages. I can do the Chinese translation, and other volunteers will work on other languages. As this will appear on the "official" websites, the translations should be peer-reviewed to make sure they are properly done.

I will start working on it if this is approved by the devs who are controlling the domain names.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:47:35 PM

curiously I visited this website today and noticed the same thing.
there is only a japanese translation on a .jp domain.

I could easily translate it to Pt-BR.  I guess the videos are already subtitled in Pt-br
Tacticat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:49:41 PM

Hello jl2012!

If you're looking for Spanish bitcoin content, you might want to check out Queesibtcoin.info (Translated: Whatisbitcoin.info). I have written this website a couple of weeks ago and it features a simple yet full guide with everything that's needed to start using Bitcoin and written in such a way that non-techies can understand it as well.

The website is pretty new and not very well known yet, but if you know any spanish speaking community that might appreciate an introduction to Bitcoin feel free to link them there. Also, the text is licensed under Creative commons Share Alike.

Here's a banner:

Also, another excellent Spanish website is elbitcoin.org, which is a great blog with up to date information.

Tips and donations:

15nqQGfkgoxrBnsshD6vCuMWuz71MK51Ug
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:52:16 PM

curiously I visited this website today and noticed the same thing.
there is only a japanese translation on a .jp domain.

I could easily translate it to Pt-BR.  I guess the videos are already subtitled in Pt-br

The link to the Japanese site is so difficult to find. They should put it on the front page with a small Japanese flag or something like that

jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 02:55:33 PM

Hello jl2012!

If you're looking for Spanish bitcoin content, you might want to check out Queesibtcoin.info (Translated: Whatisbitcoin.info). I have written this website a couple of weeks ago and it features a simple yet full guide with everything that's needed to start using Bitcoin and written in such a way that non-techies can understand it as well.

The website is pretty new and not very well known yet, but if you know any spanish speaking community that might appreciate an introduction to Bitcoin feel free to link them there. Also, the text is licensed under Creative commons Share Alike.

Here's a banner:

Also, another excellent Spanish website is elbitcoin.org, which is a great blog with up to date information.

It's always nice to have language-specific website, but what I'm proposing is adding non-English languages to the "official" websites

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 03:55:09 PM

Great idea!

bitcointip jl2012 +BTC0,05

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:37:23 PM

The number of Chinese internet users has surpassed the total population of the US

People, including myself, I think really underestimate the impact on things like the Internet by sheer numbers the Chinese will have. There was a Chinese social networking site or something that was comparable to Google in users already if I remember.  Insane.

For historical and technical reasons the web is dominated by English. As a global and decentralized currency, however, bitcoin should serve the needs of non-English users.

I totally agree.

Therefore, I propose the 2 major entry websites: bitcoin.org and weusecoins.com should be fully translated to non-English languages. I can do the Chinese translation, and other volunteers will work on other languages. As this will appear on the "official" websites, the translations should be peer-reviewed to make sure they are properly done.

I will start working on it if this is approved by the devs who are controlling the domain names.

All any site needs to do is add the following:

http://translate.google.com/manager/website/?hl=en

This will make all the site's pages available in 60+ languages. All the user has to do is select their language from a drop down box. The only drawbacks I see are that I don't know about the quality of all translations, and users have to know to use the drop box.

EDIT: also, any users viewing pages in Google's Chrome browser automatically get the option to have the page translated, whether the website has any translation options available or not.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:40:51 PM

Hello jl2012!

Here's a banner:

I second that, both www.queesbitcoin.info and www.elbitcoin.org are great sites.

flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:45:27 PM

This will make all the site's pages available in 60+ languages. All the user has to do is select their language from a drop down box. The only drawbacks I see are that I don't know about the quality of all translations, and users have to know to use the drop box.

Google translate still leaves a lot to be desired, it screws up grammar in Spanish, German and French all the time, you should probably only use it to translate from other languages to english... I can only imagine the mess it might make from English to Chinese. Still... it's better than nothing.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 06:54:25 PM

you should probably only use it to translate from other languages to english...

lol As the OP says translations to English are the only thing NOT needed  Cheesy

I can only imagine the mess it might make from English to Chinese. Still... it's better than nothing.

Yeah, I guess Google needs to hire Chinese engineers as well as other nationalities to really get things right.
SouthernComfort

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 11:35:39 PM

Im surprised Bitcoin hasnt taken off more in China then it has, considering that the government spys on internet usage. With Bitcoin payments could be transferred anywhere in the world in a instant, without verification.
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:03:40 AM

The number of Chinese internet users has surpassed the total population of the US

People, including myself, I think really underestimate the impact on things like the Internet by sheer numbers the Chinese will have. There was a Chinese social networking site or something that was comparable to Google in users already if I remember.  Insane.

For historical and technical reasons the web is dominated by English. As a global and decentralized currency, however, bitcoin should serve the needs of non-English users.

I totally agree.

EDIT: also, any users viewing pages in Google's Chrome browser automatically get the option to have the page translated, whether the website has any translation options available or not.

Are you suggesting something like this?

or

or

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 01:30:58 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2013, 01:41:28 AM by acoindr

Are you suggesting something like this?

or

or

I don't know what you're talking about for that last one:

The biggest world sports meeting will be blown up

That is accurate slang. When something is blown up it means it becomes very popular. For example, Bitcoin will blow up in 2013!

jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:24:26 AM

It is a slang that has several meaning and not suitable for a banner like this.

Anyway, I just want to point out that machine translation is not acceptable at all. You can not promote bitcoin with such bad translation

More for you

acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:33:43 AM

It is a slang that has several meaning and not suitable for a banner like this.

I know. I was joking  Wink
jl2012 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 02:44:59 AM

Great idea!

bitcointip jl2012 +BTC0,05

Thank you. However, I cannot do it without devs support. Any comments from the dev team?

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1155

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:41:24 AM

For those who are interested:

www.bitcoin.co.jp
www.weusecoins.jp

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 11:01:37 AM

I could help with the Chinese and Malay/Indonesian translation too if needed.
matthewh3
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 06:57:22 PM

Yes this is something that is definitely needed for more bitcoin information in especially the major foreign languages.

D.H.

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2013, 07:30:08 PM

Google translate still leaves a lot to be desired, it screws up grammar in Spanish, German and French all the time, you should probably only use it to translate from other languages to english... I can only imagine the mess it might make from English to Chinese. Still... it's better than nothing.

Yeah, an automatic translation can make an otherwise professional website look extremely amateurish. It could be better than nothing but then you should probably make your reader aware of the fact that it is an automatic translation and that you know that it is of low quality.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: