Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:43:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving forward with Armory  (Read 18341 times)
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1347

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:05:46 AM

If time is the only problem, could crowdfunding be used to pay you while you make arrangements with said parties?

I have nothing to do with the acquisition process. I am not a share holder nor an officer in ATI, these dealings are completely orthogonal to my current activity (whatever it would be for that matter).

Say $10K-$20K to buy you time?

I don't want to talk numbers just yet, but that's an amount I can live on for a year. There is a lot more money to be made than that as a consultant if I manage to carry the Armory torch properly. So again, it may not come down to that.

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bonez0r

Activity: 141
Merit: 101

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:16:02 AM

Can anyone give me one good reason to stick with Armory?
[...]
 I'm not sure how much he's expecting to receive, but I'm guessing the money (won't) be there with so many free bitcoin client alternatives.
How many of them are as secure as Armory? Security is the reason i chose Armory out of all the available software wallets.

The size of the blockchain and the Armory DB is becoming a problem though. Today i had to move the blockchain to another drive because it was using up a sizable chunk of my ssd. Related feature request: moving the blockchain is easy, just move the folder and modify "bitcoin home dir" in Armory settings. It would be awesome if it was the same for Armory, i.e. if it had an "Armory home dir" setting.
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:18:23 AM

New DB is gonna be sub 250MB.

sandal

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 12:30:11 AM

YES PLEASE
jonathgb25

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2016, 01:26:03 AM

That was a huge data man hahahahaha but you can develop a version for windows xp 32-bit because I can't use your client.

goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 01:47:30 AM

That was a huge data man hahahahaha but you can develop a version for windows xp 32-bit because I can't use your client.

Microsoft themselves don't support WinXP anymore, why should I?

sandal

Activity: 20

View Profile
February 09, 2016, 04:13:14 AM

Microsoft themselves don't support WinXP anymore, why should I?

Touche.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:12:13 PM

I think there should be a sticky thread on this sub-forum redirecting new (and old) users correctly regarding Armory downloads. Can goatpig's GitHub be considered the place to go if one wants to compile Armory and the Releases page the official place to get compiled binaries from?

The sticky thread could later be updated when we find a new definitive home for Armory. The thread could also link to here and the last thread etotheipi made.
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

I am sure this will be taken care of once Goatpig has a fresh release for us :-)

Ente
unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 09:58:18 PM

I am sure this will be taken care of once Goatpig has a fresh release for us :-)

Ente

Meanwhile users having issues need to install/reinstall/update Armory and the website is unavailable... I still think there should be a temporary thread with the links combined and easily accessible without searching threads Smiley
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:24:37 PM

I don't have moderator power in this sub forum. Afaik no Armory employee ever had.

Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:16:43 PM

Huh? Weird!
Talk to Theymos about it. It looks like there is no mod at all, in this sub?

Ente
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:40:26 PM

Huh? Weird!
Talk to Theymos about it. It looks like there is no mod at all, in this sub?

Ente

Indeed, no dedicated mods to this sub. I believe that leaves gmax in charge. Alan asked for moderator status some years ago and it never got to anything, so he gave up. Not sure if I want to go down that path too. I'm perfectly fine with an active member of the community getting mod status in this sub.

pop9119

Activity: 6

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 06:55:13 PM

Hi goatpig,

I'm concerned about the ability to just simply change the license for the program. I believe that if you still use parts of the old Armory under the AGPL3 that forces you to release your program under the AGPL3.

I'm not a lawyer but what frightens me is that if the "powers that be" of Armory couldn't/wouldn't allow you to use the 0.94 code, I don't have a lot of faith that they might not allow you to continue to work on the program under a different license.

I want Armory to continue, and I would not like to see your work shutdown/removed/destroyed by the copyright holders. Admittedly if they couldn't get the rights to the program for the community before this shut down, they probably wont easily be able to claim a copyright violation.

I don't know how Armory (the company) is structured, but maybe you can see if they will give you the right to license the program differently that doesn't force this AGPL3 upon you.

Its very saddening to hear from Alan about Armory taking this turn. I know the work that Alan, you, knightDK, (and all of the testers and others idk off the top of my head currently) has been fantastic and hope to keep seeing great things from all including the community.
coins101
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 09:39:17 PM
Last edit: February 16, 2016, 12:31:15 AM by coins101

Hi goatpig,

I'm concerned about the ability to just simply change the license for the program. I believe that if you still use parts of the old Armory under the AGPL3 that forces you to release your program under the AGPL3.

I'm not a lawyer but what frightens me is that if the "powers that be" of Armory couldn't/wouldn't allow you to use the 0.94 code, I don't have a lot of faith that they might not allow you to continue to work on the program under a different license.

I want Armory to continue, and I would not like to see your work shutdown/removed/destroyed by the copyright holders. Admittedly if they couldn't get the rights to the program for the community before this shut down, they probably wont easily be able to claim a copyright violation.

I don't know how Armory (the company) is structured, but maybe you can see if they will give you the right to license the program differently that doesn't force this AGPL3 upon you.

Its very saddening to hear from Alan about Armory taking this turn. I know the work that Alan, you, knightDK, (and all of the testers and others idk off the top of my head currently) has been fantastic and hope to keep seeing great things from all including the community.

It's not 100% clear, but....the existing licence allows the original developers / company to retain ownership of what they developed. But, this is the key thing...they gave rights away to their code for no fee.

If someone else builds on top, then what is their loss?  What would the law suit say on the IP case? You added your own code, for which you give it away for free; and it hurt my IP, which I also gave away freely?

Seriously. Who is going to spend $100k on chasing a law suit, without any financial loss that they can show?

Here is your homework: A thought experiment. You are heading to your lawyers office, to discuss making a claim about someone using your open source software, to make more open source software....what exactly are you going to say to your lawyer?
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:18:29 PM

AGPL3 is still an open source license. You can develop code on top of AGPL3 code, use any license you want that is compatible with AGPL3 (Boost isn't as an example, MIT is), and retain full ownership of your own work.

What you can't do is use AGPL3 licensed code commercially without a license issued from the owner. In the case of Armory, if someone wanted to use my version of Armory for commercial purposes, they need not ask my permission (my additions are MIT), but they will have to seek licensing from ATI (all their code is AGPL3).

ATI can't sue me because I am developing on top of their code base. The MIT license is compatible with AGPL3 after all. ATI can't sue me either if someone was to use my version of Armory commercially. They would have to sue the particular user/business who didn't get a license from them, and I am attaching ATI's AGPL3 text where due in my code (can't blame me for lying about the copyright).

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 10:25:03 PM

I don't have moderator power in this sub forum. Afaik no Armory employee ever had.

I suspected that. Anyways, it's you call, fine by me and pretty much anyone else on this thread, we know how to get our source and binaries from... I suggested this after reading about a user having issues with an older version and well... the binaries have to be somewhere visible for people who spend less time here to update. I haven't taken the liberty to create a thread with links and an explanation because it wouldn't be stickied and would probably get lost between all the threads Cheesy I don't think mods would stick a thread not made by you.
goatpig (OP)
Legendary

Armory Developer

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 07:44:30 PM

I suspected that. Anyways, it's you call, fine by me and pretty much anyone else on this thread, we know how to get our source and binaries from... I suggested this after reading about a user having issues with an older version and well... the binaries have to be somewhere visible for people who spend less time here to update. I haven't taken the liberty to create a thread with links and an explanation because it wouldn't be stickied and would probably get lost between all the threads Cheesy I don't think mods would stick a thread not made by you.

I'll look into getting mod status once I go into the whole release/website dance. For now, I want to focus on coding. At the current rate, I could have a testing phase this week.

unamis76
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 09:27:50 PM

I'll look into getting mod status once I go into the whole release/website dance. For now, I want to focus on coding.

Understandable. Thank you for your effort.

At the current rate, I could have a testing phase this week.

Wasn't expecting this so soon, interesting Smiley
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6631

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2016, 10:27:19 PM

If you have time, could you write up instructions on the entire release process for building and packaging releases? I am trying to figure out how to do gitian builds with armory but I can't figure out how releases are currently being built and packaged.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: