Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:55:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin investing  (Read 931 times)
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 01:17:45 AM

hey i am about to invest 30.000dollar in bitcoin miners (antminer s7 ) ı pay lıke 0.02 for power but the difficulty ıs goıng ınsane in the lest few mounths i am not sure if i should invest can you guys help me decide?
Thx.
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:00:25 AM

It all depends on what you want to happen as a result of purchasing 20-25 S7 miners, associated power supplies, and required infrastructure (i.e. electrical, space, cooling,etc), and associated taxes and shipping.

Are you hoping that 3 months later you'll have $60,000 in BTC? This will not happen. While the electrical price is swell at $.02/HWh, you have to consider all the other costs that have to come out of your $30K. Some folks forget that the additional costs (import taxes for one) can easily add 40% to the cost of the ASIC purchases from Bitmain.

This is all a giant crap-shoot on how profitable this kind of "investment" will be. You won't have this all shipped, installed, and working  in less than 30 days. At that point in time, you'll start earning BTC. If 6 months later the BTC you have earned + the residual miner value is less than $30K, will that be a problem for you? Are you prepared to administer, and fix any broken hardware. Something will go awrywith 20+ S7 miners.

Do you know what "The Halving" refers to?

When you buy mining equipment, you are speculating on at least three things:

1) Future BTC price (assuming yo care about profit)

2) Future difficulty increases, which you already seem aware of, though don't feel you can accurately predict. Nobody on this forum can predict that either. Everybody has a guess

3) The residual value of your hardware when you decide to sell it.

How much experience do you have with ASIC mining equipment. If you have no concept of how hot, loud, and power hungry an S7 is, you probably shouldn't just decide to drop $30K on mining gear.

Just out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the $30,000 number? If that will cause you significant hardship if you lose most of it, you need to rethink and start way smaller.

You might also consider just speculating on the value change of BTC (i.e. buy BTC directly) with some of your money.
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 02:39:00 PM

Hey thanks for the reply
right now ı got 4 s5 and 3 s7 so ı kinda know how loud they are and the coolıng system need.
becouse of the low power cost i got i think ı wıll make profıt wıth mınıg when most ppl wıll need to quıt minig.
and i am assuming the minir have no resell worth.
after all costs (tax,powersuplly,shiping) i will have like24 miners.

these are my minig conditions.

And i got some questing.

Why are ppl with hıgh power costs still investing i mean if you got more then 0.1 for power you earn next month wıth the nex dif. just 75 dolar for a 1200 dolar miner (antminers 7) investmen.
so if you dont got any other costs this means you need 13 months to get your money back and start making profit but like the s7 ther antminer will get another new mıner out next year
 and you wil make maby 20 - 40 dolar so you will never get your invest back.Why are they still minig ?

2.can you give me a worst case scenario about the dif. ı dont thınk btc will go low after the btc halving but i am afraid of the dif. couse %25 its hughe it got 4x ın the last few months

AND THX FOR YOU HELP.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 05:40:43 PM

Hey thanks for the reply
right now ı got 4 s5 and 3 s7 so ı kinda know how loud they are and the coolıng system need.
becouse of the low power cost i got i think ı wıll make profıt wıth mınıg when most ppl wıll need to quıt minig.
and i am assuming the minir have no resell worth.
after all costs (tax,powersuplly,shiping) i will have like24 miners.

these are my minig conditions.

And i got some questing.

Why are ppl with hıgh power costs still investing i mean if you got more then 0.1 for power you earn next month wıth the nex dif. just 75 dolar for a 1200 dolar miner (antminers 7) investmen.
so if you dont got any other costs this means you need 13 months to get your money back and start making profit but like the s7 ther antminer will get another new mıner out next year
 and you wil make maby 20 - 40 dolar so you will never get your invest back.Why are they still minig ?

2.can you give me a worst case scenario about the dif. ı dont thınk btc will go low after the btc halving but i am afraid of the dif. couse %25 its hughe it got 4x ın the last few months

AND THX FOR YOU HELP.

At .02 if that is your rate yes it's low, make sure you have in all taxes and fees in that number.   But anwsers:

1) A lot did not expect this diffficulty change ( I didnt), so we mined for quite a while.   Part of it is believing bitcoin price will rise, which it has done many times in past.  This time though price stay low which high change... not so good.

2.  We can only guess no one can say for sure.   Can it be another 20+ next difficulty I hope not but if multiple companies are pumping out tons of gear... it's possible.  There is no worst case we can give that has accurate enough speculation.

Best advice is watch the next few difficulty periods.  If I was going to make a big investment in gear I would watch it right now for a few before investing.   I like feeling I have good speculation before big purchase... right now I don't feel I have great accurate speculation.
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 06:58:53 PM

Hey thanks for the reply
i just checed it it seems lile the dif. is +32.
The thing is i just got a short period of tıme for ınvestıng ı pay almost nothink for power i got i think ı wıll make profıt wıth mınıg when most ppl wıll need to quıt minig so the dif. will get lower and ıt wıll pendel at some point where so ı dont thınk ı have a rısk to lose my money but to just earn lıke 100 dolars a mouth but ıf they brıng out a new mıner wıth 10 g/h and 1600w then ıll lose my money but ı dont thınk thıs wıll happen ın the next 1 - 1,5 years so i will got some profit out of it. is there somethink i am missing?

Thx.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:56:43 PM

Hey thanks for the reply
i just checed it it seems lile the dif. is +32.
The thing is i just got a short period of tıme for ınvestıng ı pay almost nothink for power i got i think ı wıll make profıt wıth mınıg when most ppl wıll need to quıt minig so the dif. will get lower and ıt wıll pendel at some point where so ı dont thınk ı have a rısk to lose my money but to just earn lıke 100 dolars a mouth but ıf they brıng out a new mıner wıth 10 g/h and 1600w then ıll lose my money but ı dont thınk thıs wıll happen ın the next 1 - 1,5 years so i will got some profit out of it. is there somethink i am missing?

Thx.

Why do you think you have a short period of time for investment?  And on " ı dont thınk ı have a rısk to lose my money but to just earn lıke 100 dolars a mouth"  yes.. you will have to risk your money to earn hundreds of dollars a month.   

You have a good electricity price but do some ROI math with big changes in difficulty 1.5 years is a little optimistic.  Miners tend to change a lot just in a year.
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:35:10 PM

(yes.. you will have to risk your money to earn hundreds of dollars a month) if the dif. keeps rising like this just 1 2 months later ill  just make 100 dolar wıth one s7 for witch is spend 1250 dolar so ın 1 year ill be at 0

and then a new miner will comeout and ıll make less soo...  and if a new miner come my s7 will lose %70 of their resale worth.  i mean if the dıf wıll be kında stabel and i would just arn 160 it would be totaly okay
but no one can say for sure.
i told you my mınıg conditions so do you think it's worth it to invest what would you do?
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 07:35:26 AM

before the halving , at those rate the difficult will be double of what it is now, im expecting a 0.01-0.015(max) profit for a single s7, per day, before the halvig

this is $120 a month, but with that electricity, you still have your profit monthly, the problem is always the roi time, which is unchanged or a bit worse than before

i've also heard that 16nm are coming this spring, so i'm not so sure if it will be a good idea anymore to buy the s7...
Dekker3D

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 07:42:08 AM

After the halving, the price of bitcoin must double to compensate with the halved rewards of your mining farm. So put that into consideration as well. Also, I don't think the doubled price will stay long as people will have the need to sell for profit and it might create some price dips.

RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 10:47:07 AM

After the halving, the price of bitcoin must double to compensate with the halved rewards of your mining farm. So put that into consideration as well. Also, I don't think the doubled price will stay long as people will have the need to sell for profit and it might create some price dips.

If only this were true... If there is any increase it will be before the halving, however I am not that hopeful and we may have seen the increase already. The only defence against the halving is higher efficiency Miners.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 05:23:13 PM

so you guys thınk ı should not invest ı did some changes on power and i will just pay 0.012 and after the havlıng the price won't go up so ıll just earn the half of what ı am normally and the dog is rising as well and ıt wıll contınue but i got  rly low power almost free how can thıs be then nobody will be abel to earn money and the s7 is kinda new isn't it ?

thx.
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 05:36:17 PM

before the halving , at those rate the difficult will be double of what it is now, im expecting a 0.01-0.015(max) profit for a single s7, per day, before the halvig

this is $120 a month, but with that electricity, you still have your profit monthly, the problem is always the roi time, which is unchanged or a bit worse than before

i've also heard that 16nm are coming this spring, so i'm not so sure if it will be a good idea anymore to buy the s7...
0,01 btc a miner per day after the halving rly not more? are you sure?
alh
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 06:25:55 PM

I am really not understanding what's going on here. Based on Comment #3 you have plenty of experience with mining gear, and good electricity price, and $30,000 burning a hole in your pocket that you want to spend on more Bitcoin mining gear. You've gotten a lot of thoughts and ideas. It's now time for you to do what you think is best for you. No one else has your circumstances, and can't give you an iron-clad guarantee that investing $30K in more S7 hardware is a great idea. The number you've gotten are some cases current and pretty accurate ones (e.g. current BTC earnings for next day or two). The others about BTC price and what happens in the months surrounding the halving are projections.

This is about all anyone can do for you. The rest is for you to decide.
Kalapauciuus12 (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 06:37:54 PM

thaths true

i am scared of losıng 30k so i want to fırst ask you guy if you know somethınk ı dont. But my biggest fears are bitfury and halvınıg i also tought about lıte coın couse the dıf. is stable and they got a long way to the next halvıng.
and wath would you do if you had 30k for investing.
THX
alh
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:30:51 PM

I'll add one item, and then I need to "sign off" from this thread. The old adage:

"Don't invest more into Bitcoin than you are willing to lose" (my emphasis)

It's actually applicable to a whole variety of risky speculative investments, which I consider Bitcoin to be. For me, and this is just me, if Bitcoin were to go to zero, I would be unhappy. It wouldn't change my life or my family situation. My SP20 would join the other E-waste I have produced through various generations of PC hardware and such.  My wife might be a shade happier by having the one unfinished room in our basement get a little more quiet.

You are the only one that can decide your risk tolerance for a $30,000 investment in BTC hardware.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: