Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 09:33:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining hardware is it profitable????  (Read 805 times)
arwin100 (OP)

Activity: 2772
Merit: 816

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 02:19:51 AM

hey guys im planning to buy mining hardware do find it profitable?? and also im looking forward to rent a pool is it profitable??

Zinkin

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 11:19:44 AM

You can mine some coins such as Ethereum profitably. But if the price drops, you will not get back your original investment.
arwin100 (OP)

Activity: 2772
Merit: 816

Jack of all trades 💯

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2016, 11:39:45 PM

Oh i see. I want to mine bitcoins that is profitable or other coin is profitablte Huh Huh

djm34
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 10:15:11 AM

You can mine some coins such as Ethereum profitably. But if the price drops, you will not get back your original investment.
which means it isn't profitable Grin

djm34 facebook page
BTC: 1NENYmxwZGHsKFmyjTc5WferTn5VTFb7Ze
Pledge for neoscrypt ccminer to that address: 16UoC4DmTz2pvhFvcfTQrzkPTrXkWijzXw
Blue_Panda73

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2016, 10:45:57 AM

Oh i see. I want to mine bitcoins that is profitable or other coin is profitablte Huh Huh

If you buy miners now. It will not be profitable to mine bitcoin if your electricity is higher than $0.1/kWh. The block reward will be halved and the difficulty rises too fast.

Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 11:18:46 PM

As has been pointed out, if you buy new hardware you will most likely not make ROI anytime soon, if ever. Most of the people you see on here that are mining have left over rigs or components from their previous days of mining scrypt or other alt coins. Thus since they already had the equipment in place, and assuming it was already paid for from previous mining efforts, they can now currently make a bit extra off mining ETH as it is returning roughly 4x its power cost.

While this sounds great consider that a single 7970 is currently hashing at about 22 MHS, producing maybe 0.8 ETH per day. In an average mining rig, this card will also draw about 200 watts of power if optimized properly. (This figure is based upon draw from the wall from an average rig with 4 GPUS and the motherboard/CPU power overhead evenly dived amongst each card.)

So to summarize, each 0.8 ETH will cost you 4.8 KWh of power daily. So as long as the 0.8 Eth is worth more than your KWh draw per day you are in profit. At today's exchange rate and a power cost 0f 0.10 per KWh you would be making roughly $1.50 per day after costs per card. Considering even a used card will set you back around $150, it would take nearly 100 days to ROI. This of course does not include the other components needed to build a rig and the countless other parts people often overlook, riser cables, racks, fans for cooling, adequate power, etc.

This also assumes everything stays constant. Recent history has shown mining revenue drop from about 1.2 ETH per card a day to 0.8 ETH a day. So even with the recent rise in price, the revenue is slowly declining over time, thus casting doubt on even the optimistic 100 day ROI above.

Long story short, if you already have the equipment or can buy it as fire sale prices, you will probably not make back your investment. If you just want to buy a few parts and play around with it a bit as a hobby, you might get most of your money back, but again look at it more as a hobby that a profit stream. Of course GPUs are still finding some usefulness nearly 2 years after mining scrypt with them became unprofitable, so who knows, maybe new GPU mine-able coins that turn a profit will continue to appear.

TLDR: Mine with a GPU as a hobby not to get rich.
kotarius

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 12:06:00 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 05:37:46 PM by kotarius

Considering even a used card will set you back around $150, it would take nearly 100 days to ROI. This of course does not include the other components needed to build a rig and the countless other parts people often overlook, riser cables, racks, fans for cooling, adequate power, etc.

Excellent writeup. But, I think it is necessary to address the above point.

When you buy a GPU, it doesn't turn into a brick. It is still worth something. Consider a 40% hardware depreciation year-over-year (i.e. computer hardware loses value at 40% per year). During this 3 month ROI, you will lose approximately 10% of the value of the GPU, leaving you with $135. At the end of your mining period, you can sell your GPU and recover some costs associated with its purchase.
Ueshiba

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 12:33:57 AM

What about buying used ASICs from local classifieds sites?
There maybe good values once in a while.
"Buyer Beware" of course.
Yatsida

Activity: 67

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:01:52 PM

What about buying used ASICs from local classifieds sites?
There maybe good values once in a while.
"Buyer Beware" of course.

ASIC is only useful for mining Bitcoin and litecoin (Srypt). They are useless after the difficulty jump. For graphics card, you can sell afterwards.
BruceLee007

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 06, 2016, 03:42:45 PM

Yes it really is,  you can check profitable is some websites , i can give you link http://www.litecoin-hardware.net/hardware/chart
quadriple7

Activity: 252

View Profile
February 07, 2016, 02:51:19 PM

yes if your planing it sereusly and you are not low budget guy than i suggest doing that .
patricken

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 08, 2016, 10:22:47 AM

It is profitable to mine Ethereum at the moment if you already have the graphics cards. But the difficulty rises fast. You may not ROI if you buy cards now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: