Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:51:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why hasn't any of those nefarious regimes detonated a nuke yet?  (Read 2150 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 04:12:41 PM

The point of nukes is to have them, not use them, it's the great deterrent.
Perhaps when it comes to countries and (some) regimes, but I have a feeling that a terrorist organization would be looking for ways to demolish a first world country the moment they laid their hands on one.

Just a feeling.
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:34:46 PM

The point of nukes is to have them, not use them, it's the great deterrent.
Only in a case if all of them cannot be destroyed in single strike by black operation or by destroying government that controls them.
What I don,t understand is the way Iran is trying to get them?
You cannot believe everything that the western media is saying. Probably the scale of enrichment and the reasons are different. It is also possible that Iran really don't want to get the nuke ASAP. Now in that case they are really crazy because western capitalism will destroy them if not deterred by nuke. Probably they also are confident that they can repel any conventional attack upon Iran and the all nuclear enrichment is a one big real life trolling to make zionist controlled nations reveal their true nature.
Iran have a few reactors, why don't they go the Plutonium way?
Plutonium bombs are still difficult to make but probably should not be problem for Iranian scientists. Little boy style is almost guaranteed to work first time every time.
The easiest thing, as they are friends with Russia, would be to get a few nukes from them. If Russia feel uneasy about selling them the bomb, they could just smuggle a single one to them, which the Iranians could set off as an underground test blast. That would scare off the world, and give them working space to make their own in the open.
In a world full of spies the next day after Russia talks about the option of giving fireworks to Iran, the black monkey will read it in his daily briefing.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
dotcom

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 05:41:19 PM

Delivery of said nuke is a feat in of itself. Which is one of the things that the war-monger politicians in the U.S. never seem to want to say is that even if Iran did have a nuke they still have no way to deliver it.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:18:43 PM

Delivery of said nuke is a feat in of itself. Which is one of the things that the war-monger politicians in the U.S. never seem to want to say is that even if Iran did have a nuke they still have no way to deliver it.
Probably a minivan with kamikaze inside will do the job. At least if americunts invade the country like in Iraq.

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:31:46 PM

Probably a minivan with kamikaze inside will do the job. At least if americunts invade the country like in Iraq.

They could send a nuke warhead in a bottle trough the ocean activate it with a radio trasmission.

Also, nice Toxin General pic

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:33:23 PM

Yes, certainly that does pose a challenge.  They have methods that *could* work, but at great risk of being caught, in which case, it was all for naught anyway.  Seems like there have been a large number of bombing attempts in the US lately, none of which have been successful.  If one of those were a nuclear bomb, it would simply be confiscated, and the organization would be out the hundreds of millions spent on it.
vampire

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:34:16 PM

Their nukes are too smal. The biggest nuke that NK has would barely cover the downtown of Manhattan. It would very deadly there, but in Iraq with low density of population wouldn't be really effective.

USA would then completely terminate that country.

edit:

The best bet would taking like a national airline (are there like NK airline or Iran/etc), putting a 6kt bomb and flying over Manhattan and blowing it up.
kronosvl

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:47:04 PM

I remember that in a movie with George Clooney his character said something like: 
I'm not afraid of the man who wants ten nuclear weapons. I'm terrified of the man who only wants one

Donations are accepted @: 19Uk8zVhdgfrRo5Z6wH9yghWxZUtdiNtX9
OTC: http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewgpg.php?nick=kronosvl
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 08:06:59 PM

Seems like there have been a large number of bombing attempts in the US lately, none of which have been successful.  If one of those were a nuclear bomb, it would simply be confiscated, and the organization would be out the hundreds of millions spent on it.
Not all of them were real bombing plans. It is like in Stalinist Russia where numerous "plans" were uncovered. Most of them were either non-existant or a false flag operations of secret police to advance agenda of inventing "enemies" and continuing genocide. Does a FBI selling a fertilizer bomb to half-retarded muslim convert and then busting him count as real bombing plan? Or tortured Iraqi resistance fighter revealing plan to bomb white house when waterboarded and sleep deprived is a bombing plan prevented?
Their nukes are too smal.
Korean nukes? They still are good deterrents from invasion. Who will cross the border first knowing that it is sure death even when "protected" in his main battle tank?

I would probably arm my nation with small and lightweight nukes and replace conventional explosives with them as much as possible. It will give superiority in air-to-air combat, anti-air defenses, anti-warship defenses, they could be used to cause EMP and destroy enemy satellites. Radiological and chemical weapons will be employed as area denial weapons if enemy infantry still breaks through. Multiple-megaton weapons stationed in outer space orbits can be delivered to enemy cities if my country are under attack and the situation is not looking good.

Some argue that nukes and chemical and bio-weapons are wrong. It is like saying that firearms are bad. Actually weapons of mass destruction are great equalizers that every nation now matter how small or big have a tool to effectively defend themselves against aggression. It is like a firearm that allows physically weak or elderly people to shoot young and healthy attackers.

Should I change my avatar to nuke general? Cheesy

thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 09:07:58 PM

They just need to consult with a Silk Road seller for stealth package shipping advice.
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 11:47:30 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2013, 12:05:17 AM by Luno

Moving a nuke around is not that easy. There are multiple monitoring stations in most western countries to monitor airborne isotopes. They are used to monitor for nuclear accidents in far away contries. A truck with a nuke would trigger a few alarms if it drove cross country. i would also imagine that ports are screening shipping containers.

A boat might do the trick but an Iranian fishing boat or coaster in the Atlantic would be swept by coast gaurd as it approached national waters maybe even before.

So a terrorist organisation would need some nuke capable state behind it to do the delivering or supply a delivery system, it is not enough to buy a bomb in the black market. If you manage to get an old russian warhead as depicted in movies, It would be booby trapped to prevent enemy theft or reprogramming in war time. It would just blow convetionally but kill you off.

I would imagine that the supply for black market nukes is quite small and the fact that is has never been attempted not even a dirty bomb proves that. There has been some sting operations which caught people trying to get uranium and other isotopes, but they were lone wolf types and not capable to pull such a feat off in my opinion, even if one managed to make a dirty bomb and contaminate a whole neighbourhood and make headlines, the damage would be too localised to terrorize a whole country, as a real nuke would.

So would a state risk retaliation by helping out some terrorists? Would a Russian missle, with a willing crew, be for sale on the black market? I don't think so, it's just too much of a 007 scenario.

In Brazil 25 years ago a decommisioned Cobalt cannon from a closed hospital ended up in a scrap yard and the Cobalt source got smelted into new sheet steel which was sold to a table leg manufacturer.
So suddently a lot of school children got strange skin conditions on their lower legs before they found out what had happend. Several hundred was in contact with the Cobalt and no one died. A dirty bomb has nothing stealth about it so the only fatalities will be the victims of the blast.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2013, 12:00:15 AM

Since a dirty bomb is unlikely to cause many deaths, many do not consider this to be a weapon of mass destruction.[3] Its purpose would presumably be to create psychological, not physical, harm through ignorance, mass panic, and terror. For this reason dirty bombs are sometimes called "weapons of mass disruption". Additionally, containment and decontamination of thousands of victims, as well as decontamination of the affected area might require considerable time and expense, rendering areas partly unusable and causing economic damage.

So, what this implies is that if a dirty bomb WERE to go off, it would be better for the government to treat it like an ordinary bomb, BLEVE, or natural gas explosion, and not actually contain and decon anyone in the vicinity. If individuals went in with their own properly calibrated Geiger counters and dosimeters to the active scene of every bombing, there would be less chance of a coverup, but more chance of mass panic and the government having to admit "the war on terror failed that day".

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:05:20 AM

Moving a nuke around is not that easy. There are multiple monitoring stations in most western countries to monitor airborne isotopes. They are used to monitor for nuclear accidents in far away contries. A truck with a nuke would trigger a few alarms if it drove cross country.
True but it still have various workarounds. Some of them deal with with package and some deal with detectors.
i would also imagine that ports are screening shipping containers.
Yet they fail to detect hundreds of kilos of drugs, despite being engineered to do just that. With radioactive material is little bit different because of radiation leaking trough isolation, but many guards are willing to let some containers pass trough completely unchecked if the price or way of asking is right.
A boat might do the trick but an Iranian fishing boat or coaster in the Atlantic would be swept by coast gaurd as it approached national waters maybe even before.
Boat flying Iranian flag with ticking nuke is probably good for action movie. Or CIA press release to scare americunt sheep into supporting aggressive US politics. In reality a speedboat with kamikaze with no identification marks are highly likely to hit the target. USA have such large coastline that it is impractical to cover every mile of it from sudden attack.

And don't forget that Iran have Kilo-class diesel submarines. They are stealthy and can be used as attack weapon if needed.
If you manage to get an old russian warhead as depicted in movies, It would be booby trapped to prevent enemy theft or reprogramming in war time. It would just blow convetionally but kill you off.
Probably not all of them. As I know the safety was rigged to launch rockets, not the warheads because of reliability problems. It would be a bad day for Kremlin if majority of launched warheads failed to explode. Electronic reliability was not good then.
So would a state risk retaliation by helping out some terrorists? Would Russian missle, with a willing crew, be for sale on the black market?
It is so because James Bond movies and Santa Claus cartoons fall in the same category.

SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:14:54 AM

Moving a nuke around is not that easy. There are multiple monitoring stations in most western countries to monitor airborne isotopes. They are used to monitor for nuclear accidents in far away contries. A truck with a nuke would trigger a few alarms if it drove cross country. i would also imagine that ports are screening shipping containers.

So a terrorist organisation would need some nuke capable state behind it to do the delivering or supply a delivery system, it is not enough to buy a bomb in the black market. If you manage to get an old russian warhead as depicted in movies, It would be booby trapped to prevent enemy theft or reprogramming in war time. It would just blow convetionally but kill you off.

I would imagine that the supply for black market nukes is quite small and the fact that is has never been attempted not even a dirty bomb proves that. There has been some sting operations which caught people trying to get uranium and other isotopes, but they were lone wolf types and not capable to pull such a feat off in my opinion, even if one managed to make a dirty bomb and contaminate a whole neighbourhood and make headlines, the damage would be too localised to terrorize a whole country, as a real nuke would.

So would a state risk retaliation by helping out some terrorists? Would a Russian missle, with a willing crew, be for sale on the black market? I don't think so, it's just too much of a 007 scenario.

In Brazil 25 years ago a decommisioned Cobalt cannon from a closed hospital ended up in a scrap yard and the Cobalt source got smelted into new sheet steel which was sold to a table leg manufacturer.
So suddently a lot of school children got strange skin conditions on their lower legs before they found out what had happend. Several hundred was in contact with the Cobalt and no one died. A dirty bomb has nothing stealth about it so the only fatalities will be the victims of the blast.
Some good thoughts in here, I think.

I suppose what I am thinking is that a fast boat, but still large enough to carry a very capable nuclear bomb, could steer its way towards San Fransisco.  How close would they be when the coast guard found out?  1 hour away?  2 hours?  And if they refuse to acknowledge the coast guard, but instead pretend that their radio is not working, would the coast guard actually do anything to stop them, not knowing the reason for their lack of response?  Would they sink a ship without proof that its intent was harmful?  If not, the ship pulls into the bay, the dude onboard hits the trigger, and it's goodnight San Fran.

I hope that the coast guard and other homeland security departments already have such a scenario covered with a contingency plan of some sort, but you just don't know.  The government works slowly, and when faced with a potential threat that could turn out to be someone completely innocent, decisions sometimes cannot be made quickly enough.
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 12:40:53 AM

SgtSpike and Mysteryminer, delivery is not totally impossible but it need really careful planning and execution, even more so than 9/11 and such a coordinated effort has become a lot harder to pull off.

The real hurdle is still getting a working nuke.

Outta thread:

Lone wolf terrorism has become pop culture. As easy as the state can label anyone a terrorist, just as easy anyone can be a self proclaimed Jihadist or right wing extremist, and mix some detergents in his bedroom.

It's like an ethical barrier has been crossed. It used to be abortion cliniques and animal testing labs that got blown up after closing hours. The stakes have gotten higher, you have to at least try to kill a bunch of people to get through to the media it seems.

It's the whole hate and disrespect culture in politics that marginalise the whole population into different fractions that wage war on and demonize people with different opinions, and the most polarised portion of each fraction is willing to get physical in their rethoric. Sad sad sad...

vite
Legendary

Activity: 1018
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2013, 08:33:10 PM

I've heard there are hundreds (if not thousands) of nuclear missiles unaccounted for across the world.  With some of them most certainly available on the black market, why is it that no terrorist groups have yet acquired and detonated one against someone that they don't like?  What is the limiting factor preventing them from doing so?

Fear of becomming sterile and impotent. So fear of not being able to perform sex prevents them from using Nukes.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: